[SOLVED] RTX 2060 Super vs RX5700

nxnje

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
Hello everyone.
After building my new rig with Ryzen 3600, 16gb 3200mhzc16, b450 gaming plus, and researching for a new 144hz monitor that i'm gonna buy, I found myself at the last decision.

After watching many gaming benches online I really cannot decide between a rx5700 and a 2060 super.|

On Amazon Italy, I can buy the blower rx5700 for 320 euros, while i can buy the Twin X2 Inno3d 2060 Super for 379 euros out of amazon, in a local shop near my house (or a Manli version for 10 euros less).
I'm searching for tips.
Main games (1080p 144hz): Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, Apex Legends, CSGO, PUBG and the new upcoming fps games.
I do not know if I am gonna stream, but if I decide to get serious with Rainbow Six I could even think about streaming.

If you should decide between these two, what would you buy and why? I search for the most durable one as I wanna keep the card for at least 2 years. Waiting for your tips.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you are thinking of streaming, opt for the RTX, as the RTX were made with streaming in mind for the Turin architecture, the RTX encoder and tensor cores are better for streaming.

If you don't want to stream, the RX5700XT is much better value.
Both cards should easily last 2 year assuming you have a good quality PSU behind them.

Depends too, on how supportive your local shop is after the sale. If it's someplace that stands behind what they sell, then it might be worth it simply for that alone, regardless that I think the 2060 Super is the better option, price notwithstanding.

Hard to get support through Amazon that is timely, and AMD support in your region after the initial return period from Amazon might be EXTREMELY long winded. If Inno3d has a support presence anywhere close to your region, that too might be reason enough to go that route because let's face it, graphics cards fail in fairly high numbers. And aftermarket companies seem to be a LOT more helpful when it comes to RMA than AMD is, if this is a reference model we're talking about and not an aftermarket blower model since you didn't specify that.

Reactions: PC Tailor

nxnje

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
Yea I was speaking about the reference 5700.

Inno3d, anyway, has no support here in Italy.

The RX5700XT AIB model from Sapphire is 450€ vs the 320 euros of the reference 5700.. that's why I was considering the reference 5700, like 130 euros saved

I understand that, and it makes sense. At least on paper, up front. However, if you have a problem with your card you are going to be a very sad individual if you have to deal with a very long distance RMA or no RMA possibility. I think I would consider very hard whether potentially saving 130 Euros now is worth having to spend another 320 Euros later if the card develops a problem, or fails, and you can't get it replaced without paying an enormous amount of shipping, both ways, anyhow. If you can purchase a card from a manufacturer that has some kind of presence, at least within a country away in some direction, that would probably be an incredibly important factor to consider.

You might never have a problem, but with anywhere from 6-10% failure rates industry wide on high end gaming cards, depending on the camp (AMD or Nvidia), the architecture and generation and what brand of card it is, there's a very real possibility of it. Myself, three of the last six graphics cards I've purchased for myself, have had to be returned for replacement within the warranty period.

Of the last ten graphics cards I've purchased and installed for customer builds, over the last year, two had to go back.

If you are one of those people, but you have no recourse, you are going to be a LOT sadder than you would be if you had had to spend a little more to have that insurance policy. Just something to think about.

nxnje

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
I understand your point.
As I play in 1080p 144hz, do you think that a reference 5700 (and not the 5700xt) could satisfy me for 2 years just like the 2060 super, or I should push my budget to a 2060 super/rx 5700xt on amazon?
The 5700 reference would be bought sold and shipper from amazon, so no worries about warranty.

Actually, there would be, unless Amazon is choosing to fulfill product warranties for companies in your region. They don't in mine. Here, after the initial 30 days, you're on your own and must rely on the manufacturers warranty which for MOST graphics cards is 3 years. Very unlikely that Amazon is going to do anything for you after 30 days so don't count on that.

It's the other 2 years and 11 months that you have to worry about.

nxnje

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
Actually, there would be, unless Amazon is choosing to fulfill product warranties for companies in your region. They don't in mine. Here, after the initial 30 days, you're on your own and must rely on the manufacturers warranty which for MOST graphics cards is 3 years. Very unlikely that Amazon is going to do anything for you after 30 days so don't count on that.

It's the other 2 years and 11 months that you have to worry about.
Here in Italy if you buy "Sold and Shipped by Amazon" you have 2 years warranty with amazon itself, so if the card stops working well you just contact them and they reimburse you or give a replacement.

What I really fear is that the RX5700 blower will cut me off in 144hz 1080p in less than 1 year.
The other prices on amazon are:
  • RTX 2060 SUPER TM from PNY: 420 €
  • RX5700 XT THICC II: 449 euros (shipped by amazon but sold by another seller)
It's really difficult to decide.
I'm just desperate because I would even pick the rx5700, but I fear it won't last for 2 years at least in 1080p 144hz. On the other hand, I do not know if it's worth paying extra 130 euros for an AIB RX5700XT custom model, do you think it could be overkill for a 1080p 144hz?

I am so confused.

nxnje

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
That's a 1440p card. It's going to be fine for 1080p for several years to come. I still think I'd choose the 2060 Super, or the XT, for exactly that reason though. Especially if you DO plan to do any GPU based streaming.
Last question: in the case I would not care about streaming, would you pick a RTX 2060 Super as well? Or would you save your money and go for a 5700?