Question RTX 2070 Super Crashes, Very high Memory clock speed reported

MrFRoZteRz

Commendable
Feb 25, 2022
Bought a used RTX 2070, “ASUS DUAL RTX 2070 SUPER Advanced EVO OC” to be exact according to HWinfo, got it for cheap and aware that its not fully functional, the seller said it crashes underload but I thought it was just drivers or thermal problem so after receiving the card I immediately changed the thermal pastes.

The crashes involved all 3 of my monitor disconnected while my music (Youtube playing on Firefox) and discord calls can be heard and spoken to. Its like somebody disconnected all my Monitor cables and turned off a few apps, because my fan immediately turns on all the way, as if my fan control app got terminated.
It crashes under very low load, just opening up games crashes the pc, just letting the pc idle crashes it.
What i found confusing was the MSI Afterburner report, it showed my Memory Clock being 7000Mhz, my fan control app, Argus Monitor shows 3000Mhz, both registers that its 2070Super.

pc specs:
Ryzen 7 5800X
Aorus B450 Pro (non wifi)
32GB of Corsair (idk the exact model)
650W PSU from Corsair (80+ Gold)

I sold my previous GPU (1080Ti) and im gonna buy a new one soon, bought this because I figured id try fixing it and hand it to my 11yo cousin to game

Lutfij

Titan
Bought a used RTX 2070, “ASUS DUAL RTX 2070 SUPER Advanced EVO OC” to be exact according to HWinfo, got it for cheap and aware that its not fully functional, the seller said it crashes underload but I thought it was just drivers or thermal problem so after receiving the card I immediately changed the thermal pastes.
GPU's from that era were used for mining and/are on their way out in terms of product lifecycle. Cards that have been used for mining are beyond salvation. If the card wasn't used for mining but was involved in a lightning strike or a bad quality PSU was used to power it, then that goes in the same bin as prior.

You could try and reflash the VBIOS on the GPU but that can also go sideways and you're left with a paperweight. You could take a multimeter and see if there's anything circuitry wise that's failing or blown. What does GPU-Z show you?

650W PSU from Corsair (80+ Gold)
Model of the unit and it's age?

Sep 30, 2024
Overheating: Excessive heat buildup can lead to crashes and performance degradation. Hardware Issues: Faulty GPU connections, power supply problems, or defective components.

try use a custom fan direct to the card