[SOLVED] RTX 2070 Super hitching in games/video

thetagger

Honorable
Nov 3, 2015
Hey all,
So i have a EVGA RTX 2070 Super FTW3 and it's been great up until recently. I started noticing a small stutter /hitch while playing games but attributed it to lag, Then it started showing up in videos using pot player, vlc and even YouTube, So everything will be fine and then the image/audio will stop for a split second to a full second.
I started having black screen issues which only happened when I minimized videos or Facebook (which I found odd), I did a clean install of my drivers and that stopped. The hitching is sadly still here and I am at a loss. Games are on different drives either NVME or SSD, videos are from a external that never had any issues. PC runs fine otherwise and all other drivers are up to date. So these are my thoughts:

Bad DisplayPort cable
AV Program causing issues ( I had Webroot, swapped to Kaspersky but the hitching still happened)
Win 10 issues
longshot but i have corsair fans and one was starting to hang up on color change?

What I have tried:
Sfc /scannow found no errors
I did a reinstall of win 10 but not a clean one (this was due to a win explorer issue and a corrupted cache)
Clean install of Nvidia drivers direct not through GeForce Experience
Haven't tried a new DP cable yet as i don't have a spare but will have one tomorrow

Specs:
Ryzen5 3000
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE
32GB Corsair Vengeance
EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER FTW3 Gaming
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 1000 Gold PSU

Solution
you can always press ctrl + alt + del, open the task manager or right click taskbar and click on task manager, open that while playing your game. Then alt + tab it out to your desktop to see what else is running and using your cpu and memory. I usually will see antivirus scanning at the weirdest time, and other things might cause it to lag a little

Lutfij

Titan
AV Program causing issues ( I had Webroot, swapped to Kaspersky but the hitching still happened)
If you practice safe browsing habits, you actually don't need an antivirus atop of what's already bundled with your OS, windows defender.

I did a reinstall of win 10 but not a clean one (this was due to a win explorer issue and a corrupted cache)
Where did you source your installer for the O? Did you recreate it to rule out a corrupt installer?

you're advised to use DDU to rid your platform of all GPU driver remnants, then manually reinstall said driver with the latest version(off Nvidia) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

BIOS version for your motherboard? How old is the PSU in your build?

thetagger

Honorable
Nov 3, 2015
If you practice safe browsing habits, you actually don't need an antivirus atop of what's already bundled with your OS, windows defender.

Where did you source your installer for the O? Did you recreate it to rule out a corrupt installer?

you're advised to use DDU to rid your platform of all GPU driver remnants, then manually reinstall said driver with the latest version(off Nvidia) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

BIOS version for your motherboard? How old is the PSU in your build?
Ok ill keep the AV in mind.
The os was from the Microsoft Installation tool when i said clean i meant i did a install over the old os but kept files etc.
I have DDU but always thought it was for extreme issues but i guess this qualifies
The PSU is about a year old

thetagger

Honorable
Nov 3, 2015
Just updated my bios (there was a vulnerability) and audio and network drivers and it seems that the hitching has minimized so it may not be the card , still i have a new DP cable coming today and i will redo the drivers to be sure.

jdon9394

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
you can always press ctrl + alt + del, open the task manager or right click taskbar and click on task manager, open that while playing your game. Then alt + tab it out to your desktop to see what else is running and using your cpu and memory. I usually will see antivirus scanning at the weirdest time, and other things might cause it to lag a little

Solution