Question Rtx 2070 super + i7 9700k not performing up to standards?

TheGreatGatsby999

Reputable
Aug 14, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have noticed that whenever I play games, I feel like the FPS is not as good as it should be? I am playing games like Minecraft, counter-strike global offensive, etc..

I noticed that when I am playing this web browser game while having minecraft on, both the games seem to lag/stutter?

My specs are:

i7 9700k
Asus rog strix 2070 Super
corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4 ram

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear it.

Thank you!

TheGreatGatsby999

Reputable
Aug 14, 2019
No worries, I'm glad to help! It looks like it's your CPU that's underperforming and causing the stutters. When you play, does task manager show any programs using a considerable amount of CPU outside of the game itself?
I only notice that the games I run uses a considerable amount of CPU power. Just now I had Minecraft on while playing this web browser game at the same time, and power usage shows "very high" for both the web browser game + Minecraft.

jesse13williamson

Honorable
May 20, 2018
I only notice that the games I run uses a considerable amount of CPU power. Just now I had Minecraft on while playing this web browser game at the same time, and power usage shows "very high" for both the web browser game + Minecraft.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, minecraft is quite CPU intensive on its own, let alone alongside a flash game. Sorry for asking so many questions, but in regards to CSGO, are you getting similar stutters? Or just a consistently lower frame rate than expected.

TheGreatGatsby999

Reputable
Aug 14, 2019
Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, minecraft is quite CPU intensive on its own, let alone alongside a flash game. Sorry for asking so many questions, but in regards to CSGO, are you getting similar stutters? Or just a consistently lower frame rate than expected.
Nope, with CS GO seems to be fine. Although with Valorant, which is a new FPS game that recently came out, began to stutter all of a sudden. Last 2 weeks ago it was smooth now all of a sudden my frame rates dropped from 230-280 down to 100-150. I have no idea whats going on lol.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd start with basic maintenance.
  1. Got to your motherboard website and look up the exact model/version of the mobo. In the downloads section will be chipset drivers for audio, Lan, pcie etc. Maybe even a full media package. Save that to desktop and run/install them.
  2. Use ccleaner (piriform.com) to clean out the system, temp files etc. Use the registry tool (say YES to backups) to clean out dead ends and orphans.
  3. In windows, disable Xbox DVR stuff and the game helper stuff, they are cpu heavy and pointless.
  4. Then re-run userbenchmark and see if that's made a difference.

TheGreatGatsby999

Reputable
Aug 14, 2019
I'd start with basic maintenance.
  1. Got to your motherboard website and look up the exact model/version of the mobo. In the downloads section will be chipset drivers for audio, Lan, pcie etc. Maybe even a full media package. Save that to desktop and run/install them.
  2. Use ccleaner (piriform.com) to clean out the system, temp files etc. Use the registry tool (say YES to backups) to clean out dead ends and orphans.
  3. In windows, disable Xbox DVR stuff and the game helper stuff, they are cpu heavy and pointless.
  4. Then re-run userbenchmark and see if that's made a difference.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/28063682 I did everything you mentioned but I don't think anything changed ;(. My framerates on certain games went from 250+ down to 90-100..

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Go to Asus website, Support for your motherboard model. You'll find the bios under the Downloads section, and also explicit directions on how to do it. There's a few different ways, but whichever you choose, follow the directions EXACTLY. This means do NOT shut the pc off to try and reset because you are impatient and think something is wrong. It can take a few minutes and several reboots.

You'll also find updated motherboard drivers there as well. Often an all-in-one package. Update that too. Asus Suite has a driver updater tool if you use that also.