[SOLVED] RTX 2070 Super "Please plug in all PCie Power cables"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzsofka9000

Commendable
May 14, 2018
currently upgrading to an MSI RTX 2070 Super, pretty sure i have installed everything correctly. its in the proper GPU slot and i have the correct power connectors for it which is an 8-pin and a 6-pin, the 8-pin is an adapter but it worked fine with my old GPU (MSI GTX 970). when i power on computer the gpu lights up and the fans run fine,the monitor will show the "press DEL for Bios" and the Mobo Logo but it turns into a black screen that says "please power down and plug all PCie power cables into the Graphics Card". i have ensured they are all the way in and their is no dust in the way.
The only other things i might consider wrong were
-when installing the GPU into its slot on the Mobo it didnt click into place like i know some do, my old GPU never did though and worked fine. still generally worried if the gpu is completely in the slot but its very hard to tell.
-the bracket on the back with the display ports is also a little forward until i put the case screws in to hold it in place. the card is just generally clunky as well so i cant move it to the next GPU slot and the current one has the RAM slots slightly in the way but it still fit in.

Edit - to clarify on the power adapter, the original cable that came with he PSU is 2 6pins and i have an adapter that turns 2 6-pins into an 8-pin, but i only use one of the original 6, again works fine on my old GPU

Specs
ASUS TUF Z390M-Pro
Intel 9thGen i7-9700k
Corsiar H60 CPU Water Cooler
Corsair TX850M PSU
GSkill Aegis 2x8 DDR4
Old Gpu - MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr
Upgraded GPU - MSI Gaming X RTX 2070 Super Twin Forzr

this GPU was 550$ please help lol

Last edited:
Solution
Here's the thing with using adapters....

The GPU has an 8 pin plug for a reason. You are putting the current that was designed for an 8 pin plug and 8 wires through a 6 pin plug and 6 wires.

This increases the voltage drop.

Voltage drops are one thing that cause GPUs not to work.

I would replace the PSU with a PSU that has an ACTUAL 8 pin output.
Here's the thing with using adapters....

The GPU has an 8 pin plug for a reason. You are putting the current that was designed for an 8 pin plug and 8 wires through a 6 pin plug and 6 wires.

This increases the voltage drop.

Voltage drops are one thing that cause GPUs not to work.

I would replace the PSU with a PSU that has an ACTUAL 8 pin output.

Reactions: mzsofka9000
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.