Question RTX 2070 Super RMA replacment

Sep 19, 2021
Good day everyone

I am currently mid RMA process with my Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3x 8GB, it is currently on the way back to gigabyte after Scan Computers tested it and confirmed that something is wrong with it. My question is what should I expect to happen, as this card has reached its end of life and is no longer being produced, I would be happy if they can repair it but if they offer me a replacment I dont want to get ripped of and be offered a crappy replacment, I wont accept a low ball offer or partial refund as it has only been 14 months since purchase, there warrantly states that I should be offered a card with the same or better performance, I just wanted a bid of advice from more experienced folk on what cards would be acceptable replacment so I dont get mugged off.

Thanks for your help
P.S i have pretty bad keyboard chatter, I'm not illiterate swear

Regards

Wickle

CmdData

Commendable
Jun 14, 2021
If you bought it first hand from gigabyte, and you have proof of purchase and it's within warranty, you will most likely get a full refund a few days to a few weeks after it was confirmed to not be working. You didn't say much about what they told you, so I must assume that they gave you some options as to what to do next? If the problem is repairable then that's great, and if they have to replace it with a new unit then they will most likely do their best to, if not a new card, at least get you a refurbished or restored card.

Personally I would get the refund and try and get a better card, depending on how much you would get of course

DSzymborski

Titan
A cash offer is the least likely result. Though it is possible and it won't be the price of a new, equivalent GPU.

Most likely, something along the lines of a 3060 Ti will be offered unless they have some refurbished 2070 Supers or similar GPUs on offer. I've gotten a number of upgrades from RMAed cards over the years.

Sep 19, 2021
I purchased this from Scan Computers, It was first sent back to them and they tested it, replicated the issues then forwarded it onto gigabyte, I havent had any contact from Gigabyte yet, but I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect, I appreciate the reply's, I'm doubtful they will refund it, as I did purchase it from a 3rd party and it cost me £510, I'd rather they didnt to be honest because I'll never find a card with equal performance for that price now,

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I purchased this from Scan Computers, It was first sent back to them and they tested it, replicated the issues then forwarded it onto gigabyte, I havent had any contact from Gigabyte yet, but I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect, I appreciate the reply's, I'm doubtful they will refund it, as I did purchase it from a 3rd party and it cost me £510, I'd rather they didnt to be honest because I'll never find a card with equal performance for that price now,
The last person that posted something here about that was offered a better card but had to pay for the performance difference.

From their warranty policy.

and a repair/replacement is not possible GIGABYTE reserves the right to offer an alternative of equal or greater value or a partial refund proportional to the remaining warranty life of the Product.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021
Good Evening all,

I got my card back a few days ago after 6 weeks RMA Scan proclaimed that Gigabyte have repaired the fault, I also sent the CPU and MOBO back for a second opinion during this six week wait. Scan replaced my CPU with new Ryzen 5 3600, that literally took 1 week (praise AMD)

After reassembly, I proceeded to do some testing, I found the coil whine had subsided, and the new Call of duty Vanguard and Rust ran perfectly fine, very minimal stutters on the highest possible graphics settings. But Minecraft, Escape From Tarkov and the S.T.A.L.K.E.R Anomaly Mod, (all of the above ran perfectly fine before this issue occurred) all run like complete Sh#@ no matter what settings I changed, render distances dropped ect, I cant seem to notice anything alarming on Afterburner or GPUz, temps are reasonable, I have done a clean install of windows and STALKER still runs like crap, I have put over 200 hours into Anomaly Mod on this pc and its always ran insanely smooth even with copious amounts of mods running, one of my favourite games, but now it is constantly freezing/stuttering every second or two.

I havent tested any other games yet, plan on doing that after work tomorrow, but I would like some advice on more extensive tests to run to try and find the cause of the problem. I would like to avoid sending my GPU back for a second time after the 6 week repair period which was quite unpleasant.

Thanks for all the replies dudes

CmdData

Commendable
Jun 14, 2021
Are the games that are running poorly very CPU bound? Since nothing but the CPU and Mobo changed it might be likely. What are the games pulling when you look at task manager? Are your temperatures correct? If the games are CPU bound and your temperatures are higher than expected your cooler might have a fault; not enough thermal compound, not enough surface contact, etc.

Sep 19, 2021
I would say they are rather CPU heavy, But the CPU temps don't go above 70 in triple A titles like Warzone, and the utilisation doesn't max out all the cores.