[SOLVED] RTX 2070 super stuttering buzz sound under load with some programs.

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
I've been having a mix of minor issues with this build, so the quick run down is that I replaced most of my old build back in fall of 2019. Everything except the psu and hhd are old from the previous build.

CPU: Intel core i7 7700 @ 3.60GHz (kaby lake)
Ram: 8x2 (16gb) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series
Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS LGA 1151
Gpu: RTX 2070 SUPER
Monitor: 1920x1080@75Hz
Storage: 500gb samsung ssd (new/os install some games) 2TB seagate hdd (roughly 8-9 years+ )
Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 80+ GOLD (roughly a little over 2 years old, 3 years in oct 2020 )

So the problem I'm facing and I've noticed it since I put everything together a few months back, but I haven't been able to really pin point what the cause is. Hence why I'm at a loss with figuring it out on my own at this point. I believe it's the gpu that every so often while playing select games, I'll hear this stuttering "Brr" stop, "Brr" repeating for some time and then it'll go away after sometimes 4-5 seconds and other times it's around for 30+ seconds, etc. My first thought was maybe the gpu fans were hitting something when temps would reach 50c and the fans would begin to spin up. (this doesn't seem to be the case)

It's hard to tell exactly the pin point location of the noise when listening with the case open even. I'd like to think it's the gpu is the source, but it does sound like it's possible the psu on a slim chance could be the actual source? (The only difference is with this build, the case I have has a intake on the bottom of the case. So the psu fan in laying flat for that intake/opening, otherwise facing the fan intake up there's the metal in-house casing that hides the busy work of cables, psu, storage bays, etc.)

I was able to record and capture the sound, I try to move my phone from the gpu area to the psu area behind the case to see if there's a difference in sound. But it's hard to tell with the sound bouncing off the wall that's 4-5 inches from the back of the case. Even turning my case away, it's still kind of a pain to pin point.

(video clip of the noise in question.)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC3wYFKOVKQ

Solution
I would check HWmonitor or MSI Afterburner instead of Speccy which is known to have some bugs (wrong GPU VRAM among others) and focusing on GPU fan's RPM to see if there is a significant change when the sound appears.

The other thing that I can think of, is if a fan spins on lower RPM than the other(s) and that makes some sort of trembling synchronisation which sounds like that.
From what I can hear from the video, it doesn't sound like coil whine. It sounds like something is grinding on a fan, or a fan is a bit wobbly and gets a little tremble (I can't describe it correctly, since I am not a native English speaker).
Either way, you should check the fans of the GPU while spinning to see any visible obstacles or something not ordinary.

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016
From what I can hear from the video, it doesn't sound like coil whine. It sounds like something is grinding on a fan, or a fan is a bit wobbly and gets a little tremble (I can't describe it correctly, since I am not a native English speaker).
Either way, you should check the fans of the GPU while spinning to see any visible obstacles or something not ordinary.
I've tried checking before to make sure any cables under the fan blades aren't being hit, the weird thing about it is that it doesn't happen when the fans start up. (making me think if the blades were hitting something, wouldn't I hear it as they spin up?) The wobble could make sense I guess, I can't seem to really pin point any real cause for it other than I notice it after my gpu temps reach 50c + (when the fans start up) but doesn't start doing this for a while and comes and goes while within a program.

I've tried watching speccy to see if maybe it's happening only once the gpu reaches 55-60c + or anything like that, but it doesn't seem to be a temp thing making it start up or stop. Would it make sense for the fans to have a wobble or something that makes that noise but it only pops up at set moments? (That video I linked was 3-4 minutes of no noise with the fans spinning before it kicked in, then it lasted for about a minute before dying down. But the fans were still running.)

I would check HWmonitor or MSI Afterburner instead of Speccy which is known to have some bugs (wrong GPU VRAM among others) and focusing on GPU fan's RPM to see if there is a significant change when the sound appears.

The other thing that I can think of, is if a fan spins on lower RPM than the other(s) and that makes some sort of trembling synchronisation which sounds like that.

Solution

vensus

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2016

I'll give this a try and report back on my findings. The only other thing I've read that could be related is that it's based on running a program that doesn't have fps limit set to under 100fps. But I think that's more directly coil whine compared to this sound, which I'm assuming is not any form of coil whine by the sounds of it?