[SOLVED] RTX 2080 or GTX 1080 TI...or?

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
The time has come to build my kids a capable system...they are starting to hog mine and I'm getting sick of it! :)

Right now I'm using a 1080 in mine and I really feel zero need to upgrade any time soon...that said, I'm going to be upgrading mine and giving them my old parts; I don't really want to spend all this money and get nothing out of it ;). I was considering getting something like a 2080, but the "sale" prices in Canada are still pretty much in line with the 2080 Super...so I guess I'd go for the Super. Now here's where I get confused; the Super is over $1000 for any model plus tax, where as the 1080ti which benchmarks very closely it seems can be had used quite easily for about $650....with taxes factored in that's like $500 less. I'm wondering why would anyone bother with the 2080 Super? It seems like it can't even REALLY handle it's major selling point (ray tracing).

Of course the other option would be to just buy the kids a cheaper card (but then I lose my small upgrade lol). Maybe something like a 5700xt if I go new...then they could use a cheaper freesync monitor....or maybe even another used 1080 would be ok...

Really stumped on this. Everything else is an easy choice...just not impressed with the current state of GPU's and feel like they're going to be massively more worth while in the next generation.

Solution
If you can get a good deal on a 1080Ti, which is on par with the 2080 Super, that'd be the way to go.
From all the reviews I've seen, a 2080 is a bit faster than a 1080 Ti, and a 2080 SUPER is a bit faster still. It's not a huge difference, and probably not worth a few hundred dollars, but the difference is there. However, there's another Nvidia card worth considering, the recently released 2070 SUPER, which generally performs quite similar to a 1080 Ti, but also features the RTX line's raytracing hardware and other architecture updates and features like Variable Rate Shading that may make it the better performer of the two in the long run.

Also, are we talking about a used 1080 Ti here? I'm not sure I would consider buying...
Aug 28, 2019
I wouldn't expect a Nvidia refresh for at least another year ( or 2 ) so ray tracing isn't going to be updated anytime soon, I would definitely not buy it for ray tracing it's just terrible value. The 1080 Ti is the better option here if you can get it for that price and it would indeed perform similar to the 2080/2080 Super and you got 11Gb of vram. But still then I think personally the 5700 XT would be the overall best option if you can get over the fact you won't get an upgrade.. :p

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
LOL I know right? Although the 5700 XT isn't much cheaper than a used 1080ti either.

I've already bought into GSync with an expensive monitor as well so I feel inclined to stick with Nvidia, otherwise I'd be tempted to try out the 5700 XT myself...doesn't matter for them.

Reactions: Dope Senpai

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I agree. If you can get a good deal on a 1080Ti, which is on par with the 2080 Super, that'd be the way to go.
I have one, and the only card even worth considering an upgrade is the 2080Ti, but I don't give 2 quacks about the ray tracing feature, because it's a quack.
And I'm sure competitive players and other fps gamers agree with me - the performance hit sacrifices too much fps.

I'm not gonna pay such a significant price premium for a feature I'm not going to use. Maybe they'll have fixed this with the 3080Ti or something, IDK.

Reactions: jeremyj_83

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
I agree. If you can get a good deal on a 1080Ti, which is on par with the 2080 Super, that'd be the way to go.
I have one, and the only card even worth considering an upgrade is the 2080Ti, but I don't give 2 quacks about the ray tracing feature, because it's a quack.
And I'm sure competitive players and other fps gamers agree with me - the performance hit sacrifices too much fps.

I'm not gonna pay such a significant price premium for a feature I'm not going to use. Maybe they'll have fixed this with the 3080Ti or something, IDK.

See that's exactly what I was thinking. Who in their right mind is going to cut their FPS in half to turn on ray tracing? I think it's at least a couple years away from being properly implemented...even the 2080TI struggles with it and it's like 1500 bucks.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
See that's exactly what I was thinking. Who in their right mind is going to cut their FPS in half to turn on ray tracing? I think it's at least a couple years away from being properly implemented...even the 2080TI struggles with it and it's like 1500 bucks.
This is one of the reasons AMD's RX 5700(XT) are popular, besides their great value.

Actually, I've heard that the 2080Ti handles it pretty well. Another member on this forum, @jankerson , I believe, has one, and that RTX ON is playable at 1440p.

This is one of the reasons AMD's RX 5700(XT) are popular, besides their great value.

Actually, I've heard that the 2080Ti handles it pretty well. Another member on this forum, @jankerson , I believe, has one, and that RTX ON is playable at 1440p.

YUP, it is very much so.

I turned it on and use for the games that have it, works GREAT. (y)

SOTTR and METRO EXODUS are the main two that I play currently.

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
Yeah...but that's a 2080 TI. I mean I'd love to have one don't get me wrong; I'm sure it's a killer GPU, but now we're talking triple the cost of what I can get a 1080 TI for. Just doesn't seem worth it to me yet.

But it's good to know the tech to run it properly is there. Maybe the next gen won't need the top tier card to do it.

Aug 18, 2019
Agree! for me I would consider getting the GTX 1080 Ti rather getting both of those card 2080 super or RX 5700 XT, if the prices are bit higher than the GTX 1080 Ti.

Plus ray tracing is not fully utilized on all games and it would suffer performance loss once you turned it on even sooner it has a updates from Nvidia to optimize the feature but still not all of the games and developers uses it that much.

GTX 1080 Ti still performs better even until today, so I would consider getting it, if you can get cheaper once it if you wanna try Ray Tracing and turn it off you can just download the drivers so that the 1080 Ti can run Ray Tracing I've read reviews that the 1080 Ti can perform decently with the Ray Tracing on. you'll just have to dial down or play the Graphic Setting to run it past over 60 FPS

If you can get a good deal on a 1080Ti, which is on par with the 2080 Super, that'd be the way to go.
From all the reviews I've seen, a 2080 is a bit faster than a 1080 Ti, and a 2080 SUPER is a bit faster still. It's not a huge difference, and probably not worth a few hundred dollars, but the difference is there. However, there's another Nvidia card worth considering, the recently released 2070 SUPER, which generally performs quite similar to a 1080 Ti, but also features the RTX line's raytracing hardware and other architecture updates and features like Variable Rate Shading that may make it the better performer of the two in the long run.

Also, are we talking about a used 1080 Ti here? I'm not sure I would consider buying a graphics card in that price range without a few years of warranty coverage. Considering you can get a brand new 2070 SUPER for around CAD $700 with a fresh warranty, that's likely the better option...

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=447

Maybe something like a 5700xt if I go new...then they could use a cheaper freesync monitor
You can use a cheaper FreeSync monitor with Nvidia cards too. They finally added support for the feature earlier this year. Any FreeSync monitor that supports DisplayPort Adaptive Sync (FreeSync over a DP connection) should support the feature on Nvidia's 10 and 20-series cards. You will need to manually enable it in the Nvidia control panel as well as in the monitor's menu though, unless the FreeSync monitor is one listed as "G-Sync Compatible", in which case the feature should be enabled automatically.

Solution
To expand on that a bit, here's the summary page from a recent 2080 SUPER review at TechPowerUp, showing results for all of these cards averaged across more than 20 games...

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-super-founders-edition/27.html

And in Tom's Hardware's recent 2080 SUPER review, you see a similar scenario play out, with the 2070 SUPER performing at a similar level to the 1080 Ti, a little faster in some games and a little slower in others...

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-super-turing-ray-tracing,6243-2.html

And both reviews show the 2080 SUPER only being around 10-15% faster than a 2070 Super in most games, which arguably isn't worth paying around 40% more for.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, you've got me there. They're all within 5 - 10% of each other(excluding OCs)... nothing mindblowing.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qeb3IhsZSCM

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017

Also, are we talking about a used 1080 Ti here? I'm not sure I would consider buying a graphics card in that price range without a few years of warranty coverage. Considering you can get a brand new 2070 SUPER for around CAD $700 with a fresh warranty, that's likely the better option...

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=447

You can use a cheaper FreeSync monitor with Nvidia cards too. They finally added support for the feature earlier this year. Any FreeSync monitor that supports DisplayPort Adaptive Sync (FreeSync over a DP connection) should support the feature on Nvidia's 10 and 20-series cards. You will need to manually enable it in the Nvidia control panel as well as in the monitor's menu though, unless the FreeSync monitor is one listed as "G-Sync Compatible", in which case the feature should be enabled automatically.

Hmmm, that's interesting. To be honest I was heavily considering a 2070 Super but read something a while back that the 1080TI beat out the 2070 super for the most part. On further reading they actually seem very even in terms of performance. That makes my decision more difficult. Still, though the TI is used, it is a top end model...to have a fair comparison a higher end 2070 (something like a Strix or Aorus) would be around 850ish taxes in; so still 200 more. But having a full warranty as opposed to none is potentially worthwhile...

Regarding the GSync, I know they are enabling support for freesync...but my issue would be the opposite...I'd like to try an AMD card and I have a GSync monitor.

Agree! for me I would consider getting the GTX 1080 Ti rather getting both of those card 2080 super or RX 5700 XT, if the prices are bit higher than the GTX 1080 Ti.

Plus ray tracing is not fully utilized on all games and it would suffer performance loss once you turned it on even sooner it has a updates from Nvidia to optimize the feature but still not all of the games and developers uses it that much.

GTX 1080 Ti still performs better even until today, so I would consider getting it, if you can get cheaper once it if you wanna try Ray Tracing and turn it off you can just download the drivers so that the 1080 Ti can run Ray Tracing I've read reviews that the 1080 Ti can perform decently with the Ray Tracing on. you'll just have to dial down or play the Graphic Setting to run it past over 60 FPS

Don't even think about RT with a 1080Ti.

I have one of those too and it SUCKS bigtime if you turn on RT.

RT kills it...

If you get a GTX 1080Ti just leave RT off, or get a RTX 2080 if you want to use RT.

However the 2080Ti is the only card that can really handle it currently.

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
Well dang it thanks for confusing me cryoburner lol. The more I read the more I might be leaning to the 2070 super. 1080 TI seems to beat it in older games, but the 2070 wins in newer titles. I wonder if this gap would widen going forward...plus there's the warranty to consider. Don't really care about the ray tracing at this point to be honest...that's something ill look at a few years from now maybe. With the 3-4 year warranty and potentially better performance in games going forward the extra 200 bucks or so might be justified...might help with resale too if I decide to upgrade again in a couple years.

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
So I debated heavily going with a 2070 super...even preordered an Aorus while it was at the same price as the Gaming OC.

Then convenienly enough my monitor kicked it; I returned it to costco and I picked up a GSync compatible one instead giving me the option of AMD or Nvidia.

Going with the 5700 XT now is a no brainer. It's cheaper NEW than a used 1080ti. As for the 2070 super; even going with the same level card (in this case Gaming OC to Gaming OC) I saved like 200 bucks. The 2070 super is just SUPER overpriced...

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
Aaannnddd...back to the beginning.

I returned the Gigabyte 5700xt because it was crashing and the cooling was garbage. Now I have a Sapphire Nitro 5700xt AND an MSI Gaming X Trio 2080 Super sitting here...gotta pick one and return the other.

2080 is super stable, runs cool, gets higher frame rates, and is SILENT.

The Sapphire has crashed much less, but it has gone down 3 days in a row at some point. Runs much cooler than the Gigabyte, also pretty damn quiet.

About 400 dollars difference between the 2. I guess considering one is rock solid and the other is iffy you get what you pay for.

Could keep waiting on the 2070 super I guess but the kids have my 1080 now so I need something now and stocks suck on that card still.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Between Nvidia Turing and AMD Navi, here's your current situation:
-20 series card: expensive, runs super smooth(no pun intended), and the drivers are much more mature(it's a refinement of 3year old Pascal, after all); you're less likely to run into issues with this card
-RX 5700XT: affordable, performance is also stellar, but the drivers are... 'fairly young', and will get better with time - part of the early adopter tax, really; you may have to deal with frequent bug patches that not everyone will experience

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
If kids want to game, they should be able to do so happily at 1080P via an RX580 at a 'massive' $180, yet still a wonderful performer at 1080P/High..

Ya, I considered this route.... but I already had an extra 1440p monitor so need a card that will handle that. Buying a new monitor negates any savings on the GPU.

I pushed both the cards a bit more last night and I'm going to keep the 5700xt. It seems stable for the most part...couple minor issues but none when it comes to actually running games. The Sapphire has fantastic cooling and is very quiet which I like. The performance increase to the 2080 super just isn't that much. Like MAYBE 10 FPS on the games that really need it.....OC pushes that higher but its just not stable. I could get that same FPS boost just by tweaking a setting or 2 on the 5700...and I haven't even tried the TRIXX software thats supposed to boost it like crazy. Nvidia really just needs to cut the pricing on their entire line by about 200 bucks in Canada to be competitive.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ya, I considered this route.... but I already had an extra 1440p monitor so need a card that will handle that. Buying a new monitor negates any savings on the GPU.

I pushed both the cards a bit more last night and I'm going to keep the 5700xt. It seems stable for the most part...couple minor issues but none when it comes to actually running games. The Sapphire has fantastic cooling and is very quiet which I like. The performance increase to the 2080 super just isn't that much. Like MAYBE 10 FPS on the games that really need it.....OC pushes that higher but its just not stable. I could get that same FPS boost just by tweaking a setting or 2 on the 5700...and I haven't even tried the TRIXX software thats supposed to boost it like crazy. Nvidia really just needs to cut the pricing on their entire line by about 200 bucks in Canada to be competitive.
What did you OC on the 2080 Super?
10, 16, & 20-series GPUs don't get far on core clock OCs - leave that to the GPU. The sky is the limit on memory OC'ing though. GPU Boost doesn't touch that, so you could see some fair gains with it.

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
What did you OC on the 2080 Super?
10, 16, & 20-series GPUs don't get far on core clock OCs - leave that to the GPU. The sky is the limit on memory OC'ing though. GPU Boost doesn't touch that, so you could see some fair gains with it.

The I've tried boosting both and they are stable in afterburner but games have been crashing and I keep bumping it down pretty consistently. Thought I finally had it stable last night because it lasted a while but it crashed again.

The memory OC is still quite high but I'm not seeing much of a performance boost TBH. Especially not enough the justify the price difference or even to continue bothering with the overclock. Games that are fairly demanding like Borderlands 3, Wildlands, Gears 5, etc...set on ultra are seeing about a 2-3 FPS boost from overclocking and generally about a 10 FPS increase between the 5700xt and the 2080 super. Of course this widens a bit for less demanding games but those are no issue for either card really.

Funny enough I just got a call that the 2070 super I ordered 6 weeks ago is in. Don't know if I even want to bother. Though if it's closer to the 2080 than the 5700 it might be a worthwhile middle ground.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
2070 Super basically is a 2080, and has replaced it. The latter is no longer in production.
From what you're telling us though, the gains from the 2080 Super aren't worth the extra $200-ish over the 5700XT. Your current CPU might have something to do with this lackluster difference.

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
I'm in Canada...so the 2080 super is actually $425 more than the 5700xt. The 2070 super would run about $150 more than the 5700xt. These are for all upper end models.

I have no other bottleneck in my system...benchmarks are 100% GPU bound. I'm running a 3700x with 3200mhz ram and m.2 drives.

The 2080 super has just been massively disappointing for the price. It's a great card, runs quiet, low temps, everything is smooth. There's just not the kind of performance jump you would expect for that premium. If it was like 200 dollars cheaper it might hit the sweet spot.

If the 2070 super can bench close'ish to the 2080 super I'd be willing to pay that difference. Plus being an Aorus it has an extra year of warranty.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS