[SOLVED] Rtx 2080 ti doesn't display after deep clean.

Jan 28, 2022
Read a lot of posts skirting around my issue, but no fix yet.

Fan was making noises like it was hitting something. Took my GPU apart, removed thermal paste and original heat pads, replaced both. Reassembled. One fan wobbles until while card maxes out fan speed, other two are fine.

Now when I turn my PC on, it displays for around 5 minutes, then stops. Faster if I put it under load, any load. It goes from low speed to full and the display stops. Fans still running full speed but no display. Card doesn't feel hot, but I have no monitor on it.

I've taken it back apart to double check the thermal paste and heat pads and everything seems to be right, but this screams overheat issue to be, but I can't see where it would be from.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Jan 28, 2022
You should have a monitoring tool integrated in geforce experience, just hit Alt+R, but first Alt+Z - Settings - HUD layout - Performance - Advanced
GeForce experience keeps crashing on boot, and I can't keep the system up long enough to re-install. Or I haven't been able to yet, will keep trying.

Gigabyte aorus 2080ti, I'll grab the rest in a bit, it's the coolest fan to the d-ports.
Half of the GPU chip's VRM circuit is located under that fan. That cooler is also known for its poor/weak contact to the components that it is suppose to be cooling.

When you replaced the thermal pads did you make sure that the new pads were of sufficient thickness and size to aid in transfering heat from the VRM MOSFETs to the cooler?

Jan 28, 2022
Half of the GPU chip's VRM circuit is located under that fan. That cooler is also known for its poor/weak contact to the components that it is suppose to be cooling.

When you replaced the thermal pads did you make sure that the new pads were of sufficient thickness and size to aid in transfering heat from the VRM MOSFETs to the cooler?

They appear to be the same thickness, 1.0mm., and cover the chips completely, but I'll freely admit I'm new to thermal pads.

I'll order a new fan, at worst I guess I'll be out $20 if it doesn't work.

I appreciate all the information.

French computer hardware site, Comptoir du Hardware, did a review on the Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XTREME. The XTREME uses the same WINDFORCE Stack 3X 100mm Fan Cooling System as your card. They reported that the memory chips overheat quickly due to the poor contact of the cooler to the memory chips. They say that the contact surfaces are weaker.

I would interpret that to be insufficient compression force of the cooler against the memory chips or maybe insufficient thickness of the thermal pads used on the memory chips or even insufficient thermal conductivity of the thermal pad material or maybe a combination of any of the mentioned possible causes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mpsoldier83

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
VRMs shouldn't be heating up that much, in a relative idle state (ie long enough to uninstall GF Experience - although the thermal pads are a very good call. Make sure those are the same thickness as the ones you replaced.

How did your thermal paste application look when you took the cooler off the second time? If not much of a spread at all, the thermal pads may be too thick and stopping the coldplate from making good contact. Flip side of that would be overtightened. Quite hard to do on modern cards with tensioned screws though. You did re-tightend in an 'X' pattern? As in, opposite corners, not 100% down on any one screw before going across and starting the opposites?