[SOLVED] RTX 3060ti + i5 7600k = bad idea?

Daniel545

Honorable
Aug 27, 2015
Hello, so I was wondering if getting a RTX 3060ti is a bad idea with i5 7600k because of a very likely bottleneck. I got a 1440p monitor for a very good price couple months back and was trying to find a suitable replacement for my almost 6 years old R9 290X. At first I was aware of bottleneck with new RTX cards and the availability and pricing of 3060 ti is very bad in my country so I was not thinking about buying one at first. But somehow a got an opportunity to get a 3060ti for a price i could only dream of so I did not hesitate for a second and took it. So here I am waiting for my RTX 3060ti with my i5 7600k and wondering if I am going to have a bad time and a lot of stuttering with new titles or it is going to be fine and the performance will be acceptable. CPU is OCed to 4.6ghz if it helps for anything and I am going to play at 1440p resolution. According to from what I read and heard playing at 1440p should eliminate or significantly decrease the bottleneck compared to 1080p and also overclocking the CPU can make some slight difference. Under regular circumstances I would just upgrade my setup but I currently cannot afford it and this system is not even 4 years old and I was not really thinking that this CPU will be outdated by today's standards this fast. So what do you think of the performance, is it going to be bad even of 1440p? Can the bottleneck be reduced significantly by playing at 1440p resolution and having my CPU overclocked?
My system:
i5 7600k 4.6ghz
ASUS TUF Z270 Mark 2
Patriot Viper 4 16GB 3000mhz
EVGA Supernova 750G+

Thanks in advance for all the answers.

Solution
modern AAA titles require a really beefy gpu,especially at 1440p,and 3060Ti is perfect for it.
Dont worry about bottlenecking,1440p high settings is all GPU.
7600K is nowhere close to being a problem.

Normally I agree with you on many things, but the OP's CPU is only 4 cores and 4 threads which is going to have trouble running many modern games (especially AAA titles), regardless of the resolution they are played at or the GPU they are played with. Gaming at 1440p just means that there will be fewer frames for the CPU to pre-render compared to playing at 1080p; it does not change the fact that many modern games are going to place demands on the CPU that a 4 core 4 thread CPU can't handle, overclocked or otherwise.
modern AAA titles require a really beefy gpu,especially at 1440p,and 3060Ti is perfect for it.

Normally I agree with you on many things, but the OP's CPU is only 4 cores and 4 threads which is going to have trouble running many modern games (especially AAA titles), regardless of the resolution they are played at or the GPU they are played with. Gaming at 1440p just means that there will be fewer frames for the CPU to pre-render compared to playing at 1080p; it does not change the fact that many modern games are going to place demands on the CPU that a 4 core 4 thread CPU can't handle, overclocked or otherwise.

Reactions: sizzling
Solution
Yeah i agree with that,but i think the OP just wanted input on whether he is going to have a terrible experience or not.A cpu upgrade should be his next move,but i think he will be fine with a 4 core 4 thread cpu with a 3060Ti.Also he doesnt have the money for a cpu upgrade currently so i think he will be fine as long as he doesnt play many cpu intensive games.

Edit:Also i dont know his goal in games.Does he want 60fps or more in AAA titles at max settings or does he want 240fps in FPS and BR games.

Yeah i agree with that,but i think the OP just wanted input on whether he is going to have a terrible experience or not.A cpu upgrade should be his next move,but i think he will be fine with a 4 core 4 thread cpu with a 3060Ti.Also he doesnt have the money for a cpu upgrade currently so i think he will be fine as long as he doesnt play many cpu intensive games.

Edit:Also i dont know his goal in games.Does he want 60fps or more in AAA titles at max settings or does he want 240fps in FPS and BR games.

I get what you're saying, but you don't need to be aiming for 240 fps to run into issues with a 4 core 4 thread CPU; you can easily get issues with hitching and stuttering even when aiming for 60 fps.

I'm not saying that he 100% will have a terrible experience, I'm just saying that knowing how modern games scales on hardware like his, he runs a very high chance of seeing his performance being impacted negatively regardless of fps, resolution or settings.

Reactions: Krotow and Dj0gany

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I would definitely upgrade that CPU. I had a i5 6600k. And games would stutter and hitching. It was horrible. I bought a ryzen 7 3700x. And the difference was night and day. I had a GTX 1080 and I play at 1440p. The 4 core 4 thread CPUs are long past their usefulness for gaming.

Daniel545

Honorable
Aug 27, 2015
The GPU has finally arrived and I have already put the CPU through some tests in more intensive games and I am pleased by the results so far, for instance new AC Valhalla was running on stable 60fps on 1440p ultra settings, but bottleneck was present and noticeable at times with FPS drops, but nothing terrible, the game was pretty much normally playable. I will keep it for some time but I am definitely planning an upgrade as soon as I can. Thanks for your answer :)

Daniel545

Honorable
Aug 27, 2015
While I can agree with this, on the other hand I already tried playing some new games, I havent had a bad experience so far even on modern AAA games, the bottleneck was present and I had FPS drops but overall experience was great. But I will try to upgrade the CPU as soon as it is possible.

While I can agree with this, on the other hand I already tried playing some new games, I havent had a bad experience so far even on modern AAA games, the bottleneck was present and I had FPS drops but overall experience was great. But I will try to upgrade the CPU as soon as it is possible.

Well, the end user experience is ultimately what matters, so if it works good enough that you're happy with it for now, I'm glad for you.

InvalidError

Titan
The GPU has finally arrived and I have already put the CPU through some tests in more intensive games and I am pleased by the results so far
Have reasonable expectation, get reasonable results :)

I'm still using an i5-3470 and still works well enough for me that I am still in no immediate hurry to plop ~$700+ on the smallest CPU+MoBo+RAM upgrade I can be bothered with at a time of significantly inflated prices all-around.

Reactions: Daniel545
Have reasonable expectation, get reasonable results :)

I'm still using an i5-3470 and still works well enough for me that I am still in no immediate hurry to plop ~$700+ on the smallest CPU+MoBo+RAM upgrade I can be bothered with at a time of significantly inflated prices all-around.

Are CPU/motherboard/RAM prices inflated right now? I thought it was only GPUs and Ryzen 5000 series CPUs that were overpriced/not in stock.

InvalidError

Titan
Are CPU/motherboard/RAM prices inflated right now? I thought it was only GPUs and Ryzen 5000 series CPUs that were overpriced/not in stock.
Motherboard prices have certainly been trending up over the last two or three years largely due to the VRM craze and 2020 also saw hikes all around courtesy of covid-related costs. AMD hiked its CPU MSRPs on the basis of because-we-can and Rocket Lake leaks seem to indicate that Intel will bump its prices up too on the basis of so-can-we. Pre-covid, I could have bought 32GB of DDR4-3200 for ~$100, now the same memory is $140-150.

Prices are going up across the board by significant margins, albeit not as bad as GPUs do.

Motherboard prices have certainly been trending up over the last two or three years largely due to the VRM craze and 2020 also saw hikes all around courtesy of covid-related costs. AMD hiked its CPU MSRPs on the basis of because-we-can and Rocket Lake leaks seem to indicate that Intel will bump its prices up too on the basis of so-can-we. Pre-covid, I could have bought 32GB of DDR4-3200 for ~$100, now the same memory is $140-150.

Prices are going up across the board by significant margins, albeit not as bad as GPUs do.

Ironic that we have so many great options these days for computer hardware, yet almost all of it is either unavailable or overpriced in some way.