Question RTX 3080 enough to game @1080p for a few more years...?

vonbleak101

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
Hi guys so i currently have the following system:

i9 9900KF
32 gig DDR4 3600
RTX 3080 10gig

Im noticing that as games are getting more 'next gen' system requirments have started to jump up quite a bit more recently and im wondering if its time to start saving for an upgrade...
Really its my CPU that is falling behind as its nearly 5 years old at this point - But im wondering if i can hang on to my RTX 3080 for a couple more years or so...

Im thinking of upgrading to the i9 13900KF (obviously new MB and DDR5 ram) and was thinking about also upgrading to an RTX 4080 but i would rather not if i dont have to...
Im happy to game @1080p and as long as i am getting 60+ fps im happy so im thinking/hoping the RTX 3080 will be able to last a few more years...

What do you guys think...? Will i get a few more years out of the 3080 or should i bite the bullet and also get a 4080...?
Thanks for any info/advice...

Cheers, V

Jun 24, 2023
It will probably last for years to come if you don't max out your graphic settings. Some games nowadays need more than 10gb of vram to run at highest settings. If something is going to slow you down first, it's probably going to be your cpu or the vram.

3080 will be able to do pretty much anything except make up for trash ports. Typically dropping texture resolution resolves bad VRAM usage in said circumstances. It's significantly more powerful than the consoles and those at the end of the day are the barrier of entry.

D

Deleted member 2950210

If your current rig is sufficient for your gaming needs, then i'd suggest to stick with what you got.

But, if you opt for an upgrade, i really think you should steer clear from every other GPU in the RTX 40 series, except for the 4090.

That's pretty much the only card worth buying and you'll be set up for years to come.

Performance wise, 4090 is a huge leap, giving as much as 80% up, compared to its previous generation counterpart (3090).

Just take a look at the benchmarks posted by a fellow forum member, who happened to own both cards, and you'll see what i'm talking about:

4090 is worth the premium. It's a quantum leap in performance improvement over the 3090 as shown here.

.... and here.

You are getting what you pay for with the 4090.

I know it seems like a lot of money, but, if you can already afford a 4080, try and be a little more patient, until you raise some more cash, for the 4090.

You might have to wait for two more months or so, but i can guarantee that the 4090 will make it worth for both your time and money.

Trust me: i tried doing my job with a lesser card (4070 Ti, to be exact), but it was just a waste of money.

But, if you decide to go for 4090, get ready for the upgrade of your life.

vonbleak101

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
If your current rig is sufficient for your gaming needs, then i'd suggest to stick with what you got.

Well thats just it... It is now but as system requirements are going up im not sure how much longer it will be... And a 4090 is out of the question, i only game @1080p so it would be massive overkill and a simply cant justify the price, even the 4080 is stretching things a little hence why i am asking how much longer a 3080 would be viable...

D

Deleted member 2950210

hence why i am asking how much longer a 3080 would be viable...

If i had to guess... not for much longer.

Bear in mind that, back in March, games like Resident Evil 4 remake, Far Cry 6 and Atomic Heart, would CTD with Fatal D3D errors, due to my card's insufficient memory, just because i was trying to play in max settings at 1080p, with a GPU like 4070 Ti.

And that's yesterday's games.

You can do the math for now, tomorrow, or even a year from now: where do you envision your rig?

Don't mean to sound like a pessimist, but, if you ask me, an upgrade looks like an inevitability.