[SOLVED] RTX 3080 fans - 0rpm mode vs custom profile

Ljac95

Honorable
May 21, 2017
I recently upgraded to an Aorus 3080 xtreme edition and had a question regarding the best fan setup for ensuring the longevity of the fans life. As far as I’m aware the fans are good quality with a double ball bearing design.

I am currently using the default setting which from what I can tell leaves the fan off until 50c and then kicks in at 65% once over 50c. Temperatures are fine under load maxing out in the mid 60s.
My only issue is when playing low powered games often the fan will creep up to 50c and then the fan will kick in for a minute or so to bring the temperature down and then turnoff once it is below the threshold. This cycle will then continue when playing any low usage game.

My concern is that I have read a lot of conflicting information some saying that this repetition of turning off and on wears out the fans causing them to die prematurely. Whereas some say the opposite that this preserves them with less time spinning and less dust build up. I was going on the assumption that this is fan behaviour is intended by the manufacturer as it’s the stock setting but was wondering if anyone can provide any insight into what the general consensus is on this with regard to what method ensures better fan life.

thanks in advance.

Solution
I guess the real question is whether or not 0 rpm modes are designed purely for reducing noise or with fan longevity in mind? I'd like to think if it's designed to operate like this that would be the optimal setup.
In my eyes, the 0 fan modes are a gimmick and largely useless.
1)That thing I mentioned about fan curves and how well your ears would adjust.
A curve that hangs around 60-80% will be easier to adjust to than one that sits at 0% and then ramps up and down sharply at say, 70%.

2)The other thing I mentioned about fan speeds and motor longevity.

That said, it does shine if you NEVER use the gpu... OR, as an alternative:
Run the default fan profile when it's not in use, and override it with your custom(static) fan...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'll leave you with the following, and you use your best judgement:
It's easier on the motor to run at a static speed for several hours a day Vs dynamically changing several hundred times in that same time frame.
Also: default fan curves suck.

Ljac95

Honorable
May 21, 2017
Thanks for the clarification, would the best option be to then set it at low rpm (20 - 30%) for the periods when it would have been at 0rpm and then allow it to ramp up from there?

Ljac95

Honorable
May 21, 2017
Have set the fan to run constantly however what interesting about this card is that the minimum fan speed you can run is 57% which means it'll idle at 1214rpm? I have been reading that this seems to be a thing with Gigabyte cards. In terms of noise I honestly can't hear anything (they're super quiet), my only concern is if this is ok to constantly have it at that speed as a minimum.

Ljac95

Honorable
May 21, 2017
Ok, thanks for clarifying. It seems really hard to find a general consensus, I guess the real question is whether or not 0 rpm modes are designed purely for reducing noise or with fan longevity in mind? I'd like to think if it's designed to operate like this that would be the optimal setup.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I guess the real question is whether or not 0 rpm modes are designed purely for reducing noise or with fan longevity in mind? I'd like to think if it's designed to operate like this that would be the optimal setup.
In my eyes, the 0 fan modes are a gimmick and largely useless.
1)That thing I mentioned about fan curves and how well your ears would adjust.
A curve that hangs around 60-80% will be easier to adjust to than one that sits at 0% and then ramps up and down sharply at say, 70%.

2)The other thing I mentioned about fan speeds and motor longevity.

That said, it does shine if you NEVER use the gpu... OR, as an alternative:
Run the default fan profile when it's not in use, and override it with your custom(static) fan profile from Afterburner or Precision X every time you started up a game.

Solution

Ljac95

Honorable
May 21, 2017
This is what I have been doing, whenever I start a game I switched it from semi passive mode to active. That way it ensures a minimum speed of 1500 rpm when normally the fans would drop to 0 so that way it doesn't cause them to be switched on and off too frequently i.e when there's a cut-scene which often causes the GPU load to drop and with it the temperatures. I do go through long periods where i'll be doing stuff that will leave the GPU idle so figured that was the best compromise.