GDS191

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
Hi all,

I am debating a value proposition here between two configurations of the same laptop. Specifically the laptop is the Max-17 from Eluktronics. https://www.eluktronics.com/MAX-17. The Question here is whether or not to pay the $900 premium for the RTX3080 (max-q I assume although it does not say specifically) with the Ryzen 5800H, or to keep the lower 3060 (presumably max-q as well) with the Ryzen 4800h. I understand one is better than the other, but for playing AAA games right now on QHD, and being able to use the rig for 4-6 years for AAA games and not have <30FPS, what's all of your thoughts on spending that $900 premium?

I have a hunch that in such a tight machine the thermals will be the limiting factor anyway, so there might not be much of a bang-for-your-buck out of the 5800H + 3080 since it will hit max thermals quicker anyway.

I'm a bit of an enthusiast and I understand the hardware at a novice+ level, but I am really curious how people feel the speculative thermals will bottleneck this rig or not.

Thanks everyone for the input,
Glen

Solution
It won't amount to much of anything. They're all power limited, especially the higher tier gpus.
The thermals? That just comes with the territory.
RTX 3080 Max-Q: at 80w TDP
RTX 3080 Mobile: at 115w TDP
RTX 3080: at 320w TDP
^Look at that gap between the mobile and the original...

RTX 3060 Max-Q: at 60w TDP
RTX 3060 Mobile: at 80w TDP
RTX 3060: at 170w TDP
^Again, the gap...

Non-mobile Ampere has already been shown to have poor power efficiency compared to the last 2 generations. I look forward to seeing what multiple reviews say about Ampere-powered laptops.
I expect the 3060 Mobile to be better overall, assuming you can't acquire a reasonably cooled laptop with a 3080 model, which will be...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It won't amount to much of anything. They're all power limited, especially the higher tier gpus.

^Again, the gap...

Non-mobile Ampere has already been shown to have poor power efficiency compared to the last 2 generations. I look forward to seeing what multiple reviews say about Ampere-powered laptops.
I expect the 3060 Mobile to be better overall, assuming you can't acquire a reasonably cooled laptop with a 3080 model, which will be anything but cheap...

My 2 cents

Solution
Hi all,

I am debating a value proposition here between two configurations of the same laptop. Specifically the laptop is the Max-17 from Eluktronics. https://www.eluktronics.com/MAX-17. The Question here is whether or not to pay the $900 premium for the RTX3080 (max-q I assume although it does not say specifically) with the Ryzen 5800H, or to keep the lower 3060 (presumably max-q as well) with the Ryzen 4800h. I understand one is better than the other, but for playing AAA games right now on QHD, and being able to use the rig for 4-6 years for AAA games and not have <30FPS, what's all of your thoughts on spending that $900 premium?

I have a hunch that in such a tight machine the thermals will be the limiting factor anyway, so there might not be much of a bang-for-your-buck out of the 5800H + 3080 since it will hit max thermals quicker anyway.

I'm a bit of an enthusiast and I understand the hardware at a novice+ level, but I am really curious how people feel the speculative thermals will bottleneck this rig or not.

Thanks everyone for the input,
Glen
That laptop is running 1440 resolution so they should offer the 3070 seeing how that's the sweet spot for 1440. I'd ask them if its possible to get that vid card with the 5800.

GDS191

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016

^Again, the gap...

I expect the 3060 Mobile to be better overall, assuming you can't acquire a reasonably cooled laptop with a 3080 model, which will be anything but cheap...

My 2 cents
Thank you for the reply. I was leaning toward the same assumption. The price difference of $900 seems to be too steep for what I would imagine is small increase in performance. If it was a beefier laptop, it might be different. I agree with the other contributor here and I wish that they had the 3070 model with a ryzen cpu. Thanks for the input

GDS191

Reputable
Jan 26, 2016
That laptop is running 1440 resolution so they should offer the 3070 seeing how that's the sweet spot for 1440. I'd ask them if its possible to get that vid card with the 5800.
That's a good point. ATM they will not be making the 3070 variant with an AMD CPU. I was assuming that the 3060 + ryzen 4800 would be better all around than the 3070 with the i7 intel. However, I could be wrong about that. It's a shame there is no 3070 model with the ryzen though. I'm sure there will be at some point, but I'm not sure if I have the patience to wait.

Reactions: Why_Me

^Again, the gap...

My 2 cents
Not only that, the laptop "3080" is actually using a much smaller graphics chip than the one used for the desktop part of the same name. It's actually the chip used for the desktop 3070 with only about 4% more cores enabled, but running at significantly lower clocks. That differs from some prior generations, where Nvidia would use the same chip (though still at much lower clocks) for their Max-Q variants, and feels like more of a scam than usual, in my opinion. Had they used the same chip as the desktop 3080 that has close to 42% more cores, they could have likely reduced clocks a little further and got more performance out of the same power limits. I haven't seen any actual performance numbers yet, but I would expect a "3080 Max-Q" to perform below a desktop 3060 Ti.

The 3060 Max-Q, by comparison, is apparently based on the same chip as its (as-yet unreleased) desktop counterpart, though the desktop 3060 will have close to 17% more cores enabled, and again, run at significantly higher clocks. And that's not to be confused with the desktop 3060 Ti, which is a cut-down 3070 more like the 3080 Max-Q. Still a bit of a scam for anyone buying parts based on product names, but probably somewhat less of a scam, since the real-world performance might not be quite as far away from the desktop counterpart, and they aren't charging as large of a premium for it.