[SOLVED] Rtx 3080 ti - low gpu usage

UpGrade01

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
I just upgraded to a 3080 ti and notice that in some games my gpu usage fluctuates between 70 and 90% gpu usage. I'm not sure why and I have updated drivers, mobo bios, and all windows updates . I heard that cpu might be a bottleneck but I'm running a 3900x and didn't think that this cpu would be a bottleneck. Any thoughts?

Solution
32gb 3200mhz CORSAIR Vengeance ( CMW16GX4M2C3200C16). I thought PBO only really benefited single threaded application and more times than not didn't really make a huge impact on overall performance.

Game fps is still impacted by single core performance. Even games that actually use higher thread counts usually have 1 or 2 threads that are more loaded than the rest.

Just make sure the RAM is running at 3200mhz, it is something that often gets overlooked.

UpGrade01

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
What resolution?

I have a 3080 and 3700X (very similar for gaming to 3900X) and at 1440p there are games where the cpu is the limiting factor and not the gpu. However it’s not a problem as I still get very good fps.

1440p, oh I am super happy with the performance. I was running a 2080 founders before this and was scoring 21k in 3dMark fire strike. Now I'm scoring 32k and in most of the gpu bound test is like a 70-80% increase in performance. The only strange thing is during the combined test that uses both gpu and cpu, it was only a 2% increase and is the initial reason why I'm trying to figure this out. But yeah, I was thinking about oc my cpu since I am just running it at stock. I have read alot of people hitting 4.3 pretty easy with reasonable voltages 1.3-1.35. I just want to get the most out of this card. Thanks for the input, at least I'm not crazy

UpGrade01

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
I would look at using PBO instead of overclocking, for gaming it can give better performance. What RAM do you have as this can impact fps a significant amount?

32gb 3200mhz CORSAIR Vengeance ( CMW16GX4M2C3200C16). I thought PBO only really benefited single threaded application and more times than not didn't really make a huge impact on overall performance.

Game fps is still impacted by single core performance. Even games that actually use higher thread counts usually have 1 or 2 threads that are more loaded than the rest.

Just make sure the RAM is running at 3200mhz, it is something that often gets overlooked.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS