Question RTX 3080 Underperforming (Only 50% of usage)

Aug 29, 2022
Hey guys, so recently i bought an RTX 3080 and as i started playing games i noticed my GPU was underperforming on alot of games and ive also noticed that my GPU usage is only on 50-60% on RivaTuner
Heres a video of MSI Afterburner of benchmarking so you guys can help me please VIDEO
View: https://youtu.be/5AwCPqriScQ

My Specs:
Intel i9-11900k
Asus Z590
32GB DDR4 RAM 3200Mhz
RTX 3080 MSI GAMING TRIO
500Gb Nvme Samsung 980 EVO
1600w G+ EVGA

The game is on 1080p 144hz
Max Settings
No V-Sync
No DLSS
No RTX

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
11900k at 1080p and nothing really punishing the gpu, most games will be cpu bound. Your fps will be limited by the cpu, not the gpu.

Your gpu is Not under performing, it's just strong enough to do more and the cpu cannot take advantage of that.

Usage is not how much of the cpu/gpu is used, but how much it uses. Big difference. What it boils down to is core idle time. If usage is 60% ,then 40% of a time period the cores are sitting idle, waiting on something to do. That's actually a good thing. If usage was 100%, there's no extra headroom for any further instructions.

Picture your dogfight, gpu is at 100% just flying around. All of a sudden flack bursts right in front of you. That's a massive, sudden set of instructions as there's all the smoke, bits of shrapnel hitting the windshield, 16 million colors to deal with etc. And no time to process. So it takes longer for a frame to get reproduced, FPS drops. At 60%, you've got 40% idle cores to take up the slack and deal with that massive influx of instructions, FPS doesn't drop.

That works for both cpu and gpu.

Your gpu isn't underperforming, your settings just aren't challenging it. There'd be a marked difference just using a 4k DSR or turning on Ray Tracing, DLSS (that helps with cpu fps) etc.

Aug 29, 2022
11900k at 1080p and nothing really punishing the gpu, most games will be cpu bound. Your fps will be limited by the cpu, not the gpu.

Your gpu is Not under performing, it's just strong enough to do more and the cpu cannot take advantage of that.

Usage is not how much of the cpu/gpu is used, but how much it uses. Big difference. What it boils down to is core idle time. If usage is 60% ,then 40% of a time period the cores are sitting idle, waiting on something to do. That's actually a good thing. If usage was 100%, there's no extra headroom for any further instructions.

Picture your dogfight, gpu is at 100% just flying around. All of a sudden flack bursts right in front of you. That's a massive, sudden set of instructions as there's all the smoke, bits of shrapnel hitting the windshield, 16 million colors to deal with etc. And no time to process. So it takes longer for a frame to get reproduced, FPS drops. At 60%, you've got 40% idle cores to take up the slack and deal with that massive influx of instructions, FPS doesn't drop.

That works for both cpu and gpu.

Your gpu isn't underperforming, your settings just aren't challenging it. There'd be a marked difference just using a 4k DSR or turning on Ray Tracing, DLSS (that helps with cpu fps) etc.
I kinda get it that maybe im on a "overkill" setup for 1080p but according to my friends who also share the same specs as i do they do get high 190+ fps on 1080p same settings, thats why im so confused about this

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu = fps.
Gpu = eye candy.

If they get 190 fps, and ypu don't, there's something dealing with cpu output preventing you from getting 190fps. Could be global settings, Xbox DVR, Cortana, Antivirus, any number of programs after startup that are sitting stay-resident.

The gpu can only drop onscreen fps, it does not Add fps. If you and your friend ran msi Kombuster fuzzy donut, you'd see the gpu fps output and both would be similar, being gpu. As is, it's the cpu not putting out enough fps, that's noticeable especially at 1080p.