[SOLVED] RTX 3080FE Fan/Temp questions

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
The fan on my 3080FE will climb to well over 2,000rpm (sometimes 2,500+) with the temp hovering around 80c.
This doesn't happen in all games, but it happening enough to be pretty annoying.

As I understand it, the Nvidia Auto boost feature ( not sure what it's called) will continue to raise clock speeds as long as there's headroom with the temperature.

That's great and all, but not if it's going to make my fan ramp up so loud that my PC sounds like it's going to lift off.
What I dont get about the GPU boost is, if the fan keeps throttling up every time the temps go up, what keeps that cycle from continuing until the fan is at 100% constantly ?
I've read that it will keep pushing the card as long as there's room and the fan could theoretically keep pushing temp lower, causing power and clocks to raise until it reaches 100% rpm.

Shouldn't there be something in place to keep it from ramping to 100%, cooling of 2c, heating up 2c ramping up to 100% again.
It just goes in cycles when under enough load.

I know I can download MSI afterburner or EVGA precision and set a custom fan curve, but is that doesn't help me when you boost keeps pushing temps up.
I s there a way to leave it pretty much stock, but set it up so the fan doesn't go crazy trying to keep the temps below 83c ?

83c is the default temp setting in the performance options of the shadowplay performance overlay.

The power limit is also set to default of 100

I understand there are a lot of variables, such as the type of case and how fast it can get the hot air out, but I thought the whole point of nvidia's auto overclock, was to boost the clocks and fan speeds (if needed) based on the current environment inside the case.

It just seems odd that it would push so far that the fan has to work at 2k+ rpms in some games.

TLDR:
1. It normal for Nvidia oc to push the clock speed to a point where the fan constantly runs over 2,000rpm ?

2. Can I set it up to boost until a certain fan speed is required and then stop boosting ? I'm trying to quiet the fan down without losing turning the power limit so low that Im not getting at least stock clocks for my $700gpu

Sorry for the long post/rant. I've been dealing with this for a while now and its pretty frustrating.

Solution
As I understand it, the Nvidia Auto boost feature ( not sure what it's called) will continue to raise clock speeds as long as there's headroom with the temperature.
Gpu Boost. It's still on version 3.0, IIRC.
Afterburner and Precision do help, as the gpu does not boost to infinity; if you've watched the card long enough, you should've noticed that there's a number your particular card likes to, or tries to settle on.
In the case of my 1080Ti, that's 1949mhz.

1)Yes. The default fan curves have almost always been subpar. Strongly recommended to set up your own fan curve, even if you don't like doing so.
It should also help to have your chassis fans run a little faster when the gpu is under load.
It usually is the bigger heat...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu Boost. It's still on version 3.0, IIRC.
Afterburner and Precision do help, as the gpu does not boost to infinity; if you've watched the card long enough, you should've noticed that there's a number your particular card likes to, or tries to settle on.
In the case of my 1080Ti, that's 1949mhz.

1)Yes. The default fan curves have almost always been subpar. Strongly recommended to set up your own fan curve, even if you don't like doing so.
It should also help to have your chassis fans run a little faster when the gpu is under load.
It usually is the bigger heat producer in most user's PCs, so if the current fan curves revolve around the cpu, they may be inadequate when the gpu comes into play.

2)No, Gpu Boost generally revolves around core clock, voltage, temperature, and power. Doesn't touch fan speed, nor memory clock for that matter.
All coolers are designed around 100% fan speed, not lower. Yes, I know for some models, that's a bit much, but that's how it is.
If you want the gpu fans to revv up and down less, then:
-airflow may need to be improved.
-fan curves need tuning.
-fps may need to be capped in some titles. Higher fps increases power consumption, which makes the gpu run hotter.
-gpu undervolting. Requires Afterburner and Precision X to do it, unfortunately.
-lower power limit. Also Requires Afterburner and Precision.
Either way, you've got to get, or sustain lower temperatures to get the fans from going up and down as much.

Reactions: Rumrunner 24
Solution

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Thanks for the help !

Assuming I could some how keep the temps in the mid/low 70's, is there a point where the card will stop trying boost ?

If the temps are below whatever magic number the card wants, won't it keep adding power and clock speed until they climb to a point where 100% fan is required, which would kinda of defeat the purpose of setting a custom curve ?

My old GTX 770 never behaved this way, so this is all new to me.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
is there a point where the card will stop trying boost ?
-Gpu is already at the target boost.
-Gpu is damaged.
That's about it.
Even if the card is thermal throttling, IF temperatures fall back enough, it'll try to boost right back up...

If the temps are below whatever magic number the card wants, won't it keep adding power and clock speed until they climb to a point where 100% fan is required, which would kinda of defeat the purpose of setting a custom curve ?
There isn't a magic number for temperature. More like, there's several temperature thresholds.
Lower is just better. The only concrete limit is the thermal one, that makes the gpu drop clocks harder.
If the card runs cool enough, you will have more freedom with custom curves.

There is a limit to how far the card boosts. Core clock has a limit, voltage has a limit, power has a limit... memory isn't touched.
Games 'hit' the gpu differently.

GTX 770 was Boost 2.0.

Reactions: Rumrunner 24