[SOLVED] RTX 3090 + i9 9900k

nova1298

Commendable
Jan 8, 2018
So i watched the event for NVIDIA’s big review yesterday and i’m really excited for the upcoming RTX 3090 but then this question just keep haunting me even in my sleep lol:
“Will there be a noticeable bottleneck if I pair the RTX 3090 with the i9 9900k?”
Since it is basically 2 times faster than the 2080 Ti. Please someone enlighten me and ease my mind.

Solution
So i watched the event for NVIDIA’s big review yesterday and i’m really excited for the upcoming RTX 3090 but then this question just keep haunting me even in my sleep lol:
“Will there be a noticeable bottleneck if I pair the RTX 3090 with the i9 9900k?”
Since it is basically 2 times faster than the 2080 Ti. Please someone enlighten me and ease my mind.
If you think the i9 9900k is going to bottleneck then what will NOT bottleneck it? i9 10900k? is it really that much faster?
Thing is, currently you could keep on cranking up the clock speeds on even an i9 10900k and possibly see some sort of FPS increment but that's just how games are. Games prefer high clock speeds over core count, you can keep on getting more clock speeds and...
If you think the i9 9900k is going to bottleneck then what will NOT bottleneck it? i9 10900k? is it really that much faster?
Thing is, currently you could keep on cranking up the clock speeds on even an i9 10900k and possibly see some sort of FPS increment but that's just how games are. Games prefer high clock speeds over core count, you can keep on getting more clock speeds and you'll probably keep on seeing more FPS even if the gain is small while the increment in clocks isn't. |
Yes having a low clocked CPU does bottleneck your GPU BUT the main Problematic bottleneck is when you don't have enough cores to process the frames the GPU is drawing then, you hit 100% cpu usage and you begin to stutter/lag.

You have near 5 GHz clock speeds and more cores than you'll ever need atleast for gaming, I mean look at the PS5, it has an 8c/16t CPU clocked at 3.5 GHz and no more. Although if they increases the clocks, they would see more fps, Even 3.5 GHz is good enough to handle high-end GPUs and PS5 GPU is Basically almost a 2080 Ti.

I'd say you'll be perfectly fine, you have all the cores you need and one of the highest clocked CPUs available, if this bottlenecks the 3090 then I don't know what wont.

Solution

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
> Since it is basically 2 times faster than the 2080 Ti.
Yeah not really. I'm pretty sure Jensen was only talking about RTX performance. How many games do you have or want to play even support RTX? Even then, all that stuff is happening on the GPU, the CPU really has little to do other than push data into the GPU.

Games generally care more about single thread performance than number of cores, especially beyond about 4 cores.

As your 8 core CPU can turbo (a single-core) at 5Ghz I'm thinking any 3090 bottlenecking would be more to do with the motherboard chipset and PCIE<->memory bandwidth than your CPU itself.
Max Memory Bandwidth: 9900k = 41.6 GB/s 10900k = 45.8 GB/s
That seems like a pretty nominal difference, especially considering that's a theoretical maximum.

As long as your CPU cooling solution isn't limiting your CPU from hitting max Turbo when it needs to I feel like you should be OK. Even if it was, it's probably not noticeable in real FPS terms.

Last edited: