Question RTX 3090 Strix OC - Temperatures / Undervolting Results

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
Hi,

I have a Strix 3090 OC for a while now and the card is great but i'm always concerned by temps.

At stock profile with fan speed around 90 to 100%
The Core can goes up to 80c
memory around 86 kinda.

I have a 3840x1600 / 160Hz screen.

I've read that GDDR6X is safe untill 100c but still I'm not very comfortable with high temps and fan noise and i'm considering going on a full loop in a few months

In the meantime i've undervolted the GPU to 1860Mhz @ 0.825v, no issues so far, is this a good results. I've not really been able to benchmark if the gaming performance was really affected but what % of FPS am I Losing you think?

Thanks !

Aug 21, 2021
If you lowered the clock you underclocked it. With undervolting you lower the voltage while keeping the same performance. They way you want to do it is at full gpu load. Start a graphic demanding game, put all graphic setting on ultra so that you get 99-100% gpu usage, change from fullscreen to windowed so you can put msi afterburner on top of the game. Let it sit like that for a few minutes so your temps and fps get stable. Then without moving the mouse in game(because your fps will change) you want to press ctrl+f in msi afterburner to open the voltage/frequency curve editor. You really need a full load on gpu to see the max frequency...and then in the curve editor(ctr+F) you lower the voltage by -25 and another 25 and so on..until you get a driver crash and you revert to voltage the previously worker...+25. When you move that dot to the desired voltage you press L to lock it and you entire curve should adjust. Sometimes you need to do it a few times. So you want the same freq but with lower voltage. The temps will get a lot lower depending on how much you undervolt..on my old gigabyte 2070 which had terrible cooling fans i went from 83 to 65 and on my current 3070ti from max of 75 to around 65, all this with the fans on auto. If i put the fans on max I get 60 degrees on 3070ti. And you really want to play a few hours and see if the undervolt is stable.
Forgot to tell, first thing to do is go to msi afterburner setting and enable "unlock voltage control", "unlock voltage monitoring" and"force constant voltage". You can find youtube videos if you cant do it, there are many.

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
I know how to do it but just undervolting didn't lowered the temps as much as I wanted.

I want the memory temps to remain below 80. My question was is 1860@0.825 ok and am I loosing a lot of fps compared to stock which was around 2000. :)

Aug 21, 2021
That's weird. At 0.825 your temps should be low. Also, the Strix have good cooling fans. I undervolted my 3070ti Strix to 0.881 at 1950mhz and I get around 65 degrees with fans on auto. You ask if it's ok..you can only know that by testing to see if it's stable.
To see how much fps you are loosing, start a graphic demanding game with the undervolt&undeclock profile that you did..i assume you save it, put setting to ultra, windowed, put msi on top, let fps settle and then just press the reset button on msi and apply and see the frame difference between default and your profile. No other way to see how much fps you lost.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What's ok for the Vram is different for the gpu core.

I want the memory temps to remain below 80.
That's asking for too much from GDDR6X with the current cooling. If it's keeping below 95C, then it's fine.
Undervolting affects the gpu's power delivery and core, but not the Vram. The voltage being fed to it is fixed from vbios - nothing you can do about it. That's why down-clocking the Vram doesn't really do anything for thermals.
Plus, the chips already don't use much power(in the single digits, IIRC).
There's not much more I can say beyond, 'they just run hot'; GDDR5X ran a little warmer than R5, R6 ran hotter than those, and R6X runs hotter than R6.

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
When I've undervolted the vram temps are lower though, from 88c max to around 80?

With the undervolt core is around 60 to 65

Oh so maybe I'm just worrying for nothing

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You've reduced the power going throughout the entire card; less heat being radiated across the gpu - there's ram on both sides of the PCB.
Lets say a single chip of GDDR6X pulls 4w. After the undervolt, a chip still pulls 4 watts.
Because you've reduced the gpu's power consumption, the Vram isn't soaking in as much heat from the surrounding components.

Aug 21, 2021
When I've undervolted the vram temps are lower though, from 88c max to around 80?

With the undervolt core is around 60 to 65

Oh so maybe I'm just worrying for nothing
I think you should be showing screens of your voltage curve. But 60c is definitely good so long as you are not underclocking...
I went down from just over 1000mv to 950mv max on my 3070ti. My card would peak at 75-78c and now barely hits 65c. Stock clocks at 1980mhz

Aug 21, 2021
I am kinda underclocking since I hit 1875mhz instead of 19 80 to 2010 on stock profile. But i think the fps loss might be around 5 so...
You hit 1875mhz while playing games? 3070TIs idle at 1845, you're barely making your card do anything. But if it works, it works.
EDIT: An example of what I think is a good curve. My max temp is with the curve off overnight and my current temp is within 2 minutes of it being on.
Almost a 10c difference with ZERO performance loss.
Capture.JPG

Asryan

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
I hit 80 to 160 fps depending on games and all ultra by running it at 1875 / 0.825v.

I've tried to lower voltage at the same clock speed as stock (around 1960) but temps were not dropping that much. Also maybe I'm losing like 5 fps compared to stock

My gpu is at 200mhz idle BTW

TRENDING THREADS