Question RTX 4060 for Fatal1ty H87? Is it a valid option

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
Hi everyone,
I am wondering since H87 is rather old MB and use pcie express 3.0 will i lose much performance if i install rtx 4060 which is build for pcie 4.0 and have x8 speed.
I just bought i7-4790 for that motherboard. It was quite cheap. I know i am still using ddr3 in 2024 xD .

Thanks for info,
Cheers,

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
Without asking for your PSU's make and model or it's age, I wouldn't advise dropping money on a concurrent GPU for an older platform. If you can, stick to a GTX1000 series, at most an RTX2060.
I currently own 750 watt psu, it is about 4-5 years old (do not remember when exactly did i got it) . It isn't from the black list. I remember checking when i was buying my pc. I have missplaced the box for it. It is neither bad or super good. I would say average. It run my rx 570 and i didn't have issue with my psu. I also i have 2 ssd and 3 hdd plus a dvd drive.
RTX 4060 requires 1-8 pin connector and my sapphire nitro+ rx 570 requires both 1-8 pin and 1-6 pin so when it comes power it would be okey.
P.S. I found the box. It is chieftec proton 750W.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I don't think you will lose much performance. The 4060 is not too expensive and often less expensive than older cards. It's also not very power hungry. 750W is more than enough. 550W would be plenty...

I don't think the 4060 will make your games scream, but it's probably the most economical improvement you can go for. At least when it comes to Nvidia, AMD might actually be the better choice.

Check the Zotac Twin Edge. Alternatively, check the Gigabyte Eagle OC.

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
I don't think you will lose much performance. The 4060 is not too expensive and often less expensive than older cards. It's also not very power hungry. 750W is more than enough. 550W would be plenty...

I don't think the 4060 will make your games scream, but it's probably the most economical improvement you can go for. At least when it comes to Nvidia, AMD might actually be the better choice.

Check the Zotac Twin Edge. Alternatively, check the Gigabyte Eagle OC.
From my experience amd put more strain on cpu and since my platform is rather old i would to put less strain on it. Despite how much i love amd, their drivers are kind ****.
By the way is there much difference in performance with different versions of 4060.
I bought that psu because it has 140 W on 3V/5V lines.

Reactions: 35below0

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
There are slight OC tweaks done by different manufacturers. But the vanilla 4060 can not be monstruously overclocked anyway so i'd say it comes down to physical size and availability in your location. Possibly looks.

I mentioned the Gigabyte because that's the one i own and it's absolutely fine (for a 4060 mind). Also, other Gigabyte flavors tend to be cut down versions, or charge money for looks.
The Zotac is smaller and has favorable reviews so it's a choice. Any version of that card is going to be light on power use, quiet when idle, and pretty powerfull compared to your gen. Might have to drop quality in some games but you know all this :)

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I would think that a 4060, and using DLSS 3 or FSR 3, when either is available, is going to give you the most bang for the buck for an older system. Your frames will be higher than if you bought a RTX 20 or 30 card, even with an older CPU.

I believe the performance boost that frame generation provides, is enough to get at least a few more years of life out of older hardware, and it is worth it to get a 4060 for such a machine.

Reactions: SeverinV

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
There are slight OC tweaks done by different manufacturers. But the vanilla 4060 can not be monstruously overclocked anyway so i'd say it comes down to physical size and availability in your location. Possibly looks.

I mentioned the Gigabyte because that's the one i own and it's absolutely fine (for a 4060 mind). Also, other Gigabyte flavors tend to be cut down versions, or charge money for looks.
The Zotac is smaller and has favorable reviews so it's a choice. Any version of that card is going to be light on power use, quiet when idle, and pretty powerfull compared to your gen. Might have to drop quality in some games but you know all this :)
I usually go for more quiet card. That why i had chosen nitro+ for my rx 570 because of its good cooling system.
I personally not fond of gigabyte cards. I had gigabyte 560ti and it was loud as hell.