RTX 4060 vs RX 7600 GPU faceoff: Battle of the budget-mainstream graphics cards

vijosef

Proper
Feb 26, 2024
Video cards, and all hardware products, should only be compared at equal prices. When prices differ, they should be drawn in price-performance charts. In these charts, only the video cards in the border of the convex hull represent the best value for your money.

Cards outside the convex hull are either too expensive for their performance or underperform for their price.

Pierce2623

Upstanding
Dec 3, 2023
I don’t know why but feel the need to point out that this card is literally just a 6650xt made on 6nm instead of 7nm.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Matchup seems slightly off, but it's not as bad on Newegg as the Amazon prices in the article. Current Newegg lowest price (restricted : new and sold by Newegg) is $260 for the RX 7600 (8 GB), $293 for the RTX 4060 (8 GB), and $320 for the RX 7600 XT (16 GB). To hit 16 GB with Nvidia, you have to go up to the $450 RTX 4060 Ti (16 GB).

For me, the article is citing an Amazon price for the RTX 4060 at $335, at which point I was going to ask why it's not being compared with the 7600 XT.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
How is the article different for you? They typed the header for the link as $293 ,it can't be different for different people, that's the cheapest it is on amazon right now.
I just saw this section embedded in the article:

Today's best Nvidia RTX 4060 and AMD Radeon RX 7600 deals​

Underneath, it lists Nvidia RTX 4060 as $334.91 and AMD Radeon RX 7600 as $259.99.

Now that you mention it, I do see the table. This is one of those articles I skimmed, since I'm not terribly invested in the matter and just wanted to get the gist of it. Sorry, I should've known better than to get lead astray by the e-commerce links.

Reactions: AndrewJacksonZA

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Didn't Nvidia lower the MSRP for the 4060 to $285? I swear i read an article about that.

Everyone ignored the price though, so it doesn't matter that much.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Just a thing to throw into the discussion. If you average 4 hours of use a day, at average kwh rates, the Nvidia cards saves you about $7 a year. I think with the discussion of card prices and them being off by about $30 that should weigh in on the pricing. Especially depending on where you live it could go up to $15 a year. So I think this comparison is closer than just the straight price appears.

At this price point, you should have tossed in the A750.
Maybe even the A580, since those can still be found.
It’s a 1-v-1 faceoff, not a comparison between four GPUs. We did do three cards with the 4060 Ti, but only because there are two variants of the same card. I’m not sure that worked better or just made things messy. I thought of adding the 7600 XT here as well but decided not to … that can be a different article at some point.

Basically, there’s a certain category of user that wants to see how GPU X does against GPU Y. We’re simply trying to hit the most common comparisons. If our site supported a data driven approach, I could just upload all of my benchmarks, people could select whatever two GPUs they want… and then we’d need some sensible text. But Future’s CMS does not and probably will never have such a specific feature.

Reactions: 35below0
I just saw this section embedded in the article:
Today's best Nvidia RTX 4060 and AMD Radeon RX 7600 deals

Underneath, it lists Nvidia RTX 4060 as $334.91 and AMD Radeon RX 7600 as $259.99.

Now that you mention it, I do see the table. This is one of those articles I skimmed, since I'm not terribly invested in the matter and just wanted to get the gist of it. Sorry, I should've known better than to get lead astray by the e-commerce links.
Sadly, the “real-time pricing” deals often pull garbage prices. That’s an ongoing problem.

Just a thing to throw into the discussion. If you average 4 hours of use a day, at average kwh rates, the Nvidia cards saves you about $7 a year. I think with the discussion of card prices and them being off by about $30 that should weigh in on the pricing. Especially depending on where you live it could go up to $15 a year. So I think this comparison is closer than just the straight price appears.
We do mention in the text how power can cost more over time with the 7600.

Reactions: JTWrenn

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Sadly, the “real-time pricing” deals often pull garbage prices. That’s an ongoing problem.
No, no it's not.

Jarred, I'm with the rest on the pricing. Here in South Africa, converting from Rands to Dollars and removing things like import tax, the prices are wildly different. Here are the cheapest prices I could find:
4060 = ZAR8 150 ~~ USD326
7600 = ZAR6 684 ~~ USD267

Please, use the pricing that is available at the time of publication. IMHO not doing so is misleading!! You're comparing completely different classes of cards.
The closest comparable AMD card at the 4060's price point is the 7600 XT.

Reactions: Ice2burn

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
No, no it's not.

Jarred, I'm with the rest on the pricing. Here in South Africa, converting from Rands to Dollars and removing things like import tax, the prices are wildly different. Here are the cheapest prices I could find:

Please, use the pricing that is available at the time of publication. IMHO not doing so is misleading!! You're comparing completely different classes of cards.
To be fair, they cannot predict or check what the pricing is going to be in every country around the world.

In the US, right now the cheapest 4060 is $293.
Cheapest 7600 is $260, and the cheapest 7600XT is $330.

The article is a straight 7600 vs 4060 faceoff. Anyone with a bit of sense can suggest the XT version for anyone willing to stretch their budget a little bit.
But there is a problem there, of things spiralling out of control. Because the 4060 Ti is not that much more expensive than the 7600XT, at $390, at which point we have to consider the 7700XT, and frankly the 7800XT.
And now we're not far off the 7900GRE which is the best of the lot, and stays unbeaten until the 4070 Ti Super.

Sooo.... yeah. How far do we want to go? Because the article has been limited to just a comparison between two cards. I believe this is correct. It lets readers make up their minds, instead of making it up for them.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
No, no it's not.

Doesn't this kind of make it impossible for them to do? How can they show a price comparison for every market? All of them are going to be different. They should just do a price comparison of one market and the rest people need to figure out.

For me I see
4060 at$299 to $319
7600 at $259 to $279

So what did you expect them to do here? Pull prices for every country?

edit: I offer a middle road solution. You should read the article and adjust the breakdown for your country. Looks like there the 7600 might deserve two points for price....but because your electricity on average costs twice as much the 4600 should get two points for efficiency. Same diff.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
Popular opinion: Every card should cost less (US). 7600 is cheap N6 silicon that should be closer to $200. 4060 and 7600 XT should both be under $300.

3050 6GB and the 7600 XT are the most interesting current releases to me. 3050 for not needing a power connector, 7600 XT for being the "cheap" entry point to 16 GB.

scottsoapbox

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Video cards, and all hardware products, should only be compared at equal prices. When prices differ, they should be drawn in price-performance charts. In these charts, only the video cards in the border of the convex hull represent the best value for your money.

Cards outside the convex hull are either too expensive for their performance or underperform for their price.
If you don't think cards priced $30 apart are in the same price class, you frankly need a better job.

And FPS/$ is only one measure of the “best value” as people value different things.

Reactions: gschoen
No, no it's not.

We are primarily a US site and we do not base our prices off of other countries. At the time of writing, the least expensive RX 7600 in the US costs $259.99 and the least expensive RTX 4060 costs $279.99. Furthermore, these are both the lowest price and lowest performance GPUs in the current RDNA 3 and Ada Lovelace lineups. That's the bigger reason for the faceoff: How do the lowest tier models from AMD and Nvidia stack up?

It's also funny that people keep insisting the cheapest RTX 4060 costs $293, when the article notes and directly links to this PNY RTX 4060 Verto at Dell for $279.99. And yes, it's still available, though it does say "limited stock" now.

-----------------

On a different note, we are going to keep doing various GPU faceoff and CPU faceoff articles. We try to pick parts that are a reasonable comparison, so obviously we're not doing RTX 4090 vs. RX 7600 sorts of comparisons. If there's any specific GPU faceoffs you'd like us to do, let me know. We have a few more lined up, though at this stage we've hit most of the low-hanging fruit. :)

philged

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
"We don't hate the RX 7600, though it did rate as one of the top five worst AMD GPUs of all time"

No disagreements, but if worst of all time doesn't qualify, what does the hardware need to do to make you hate it? Actively kill someone?

Reactions: usertests
"We don't hate the RX 7600, though it did rate as one of the top five worst AMD GPUs of all time"

No disagreements, but if worst of all time doesn't qualify, what does the hardware need to do to make you hate it? Actively kill someone?
I can't think of many pieces of hardware where I would use the term "hate." AMD's Bulldozer CPUs were terrible in so many ways, but it was more of a misguided terrible. I think I would use "hate" for a product that actively causes harm. I hate computer viruses and malware, for example.

The biggest problem with the RX 7600 (and Navi 33) is that it wallows in mediocrity. AMD didn't move to a smaller, newer, better node. Sure, it's N6 while Navi 23 was N7, but N5 was clearly ready for mass production. It cut every corner possible, with the result being performance on par with the previous generation RX 6650 XT... and it costs more, offering questionable upgrades like DP2.1 on a 'budget' GPU? Give me a break, it won't ever need to drive a 4K 240Hz (non-DSC) or 4K 480 Hz (DSC) display. AV1 encoding isn't that critical either, since quality is basically the same as HEVC. It was mediocre and overpriced, and the pricing has only partially corrected over time.

What's interesting is the whole 8GB vs 16GB configurations of RX 7600/7600 XT, just like on the RTX 4060 Ti. If pricing was only $30–$40 more, I'd be very much on the 16GB camp — not because it's super necessary, but because it does ensure you won't hit VRAM bottlenecks during the lifetime of the cards. There are a few games where it can make a difference, though not necessarily at sensible settings.