Question rtx 4070 gpu on a micro atx board is pushing down the SATA cable, will this damage it in the long term?

Chriss Angeh

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
hello there.

i recently bought a rtx 4070 asus dual for my system and i noticed that when i had to install the gpu the gpu its just too big for the design of my mAtX motherboard and its pushing down the SATA cable from my drive because it simply has no more room for it.

im afraid that this is gonna damage it the cable or the port itself which would be the worst scenario, but i simply have no other solution for this, unless theres something like an extensor for this, as i said its a micro atx not a ATX board.

system:

motherboard aorus elite b550m

rtx 4070 asus dual

ill add a picture for reference of how it looks.
thanks for your time.

View: https://imgur.com/a/ph5Z669

Chriss Angeh

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
I actually have a nvme above the GPU, i still have one more slot for it under the GPU but to be honest I don't wanna use it, so sadly discard the SATA cables are not ideal for my situation I use ssd and the good old Fatty HDD, with that being said is this harmful or just something that doesn't look okay but can be like that ? Perhaps in the future i could change one of those drives and put to use that nvme slot but not as in right now.

That doesn't look good at all. The sort of thing that might be okay, yet I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if at some random point in the future the port damaged and failed.

You can get right angled SATA connectors in both directions. Your photo and the motherboard image on Gigabyte make it look like you have a what StarTech call a "left-angled" connector. Can't you use a "right-angled" cable and run it under the graphics card?

Or maybe you can install a PCIe to SATA expansion card in the lowest PCIe slot? It shouldn't make any speed difference to an HDD. Surely that graphics card doesn't take out all the motherboard slots...

Last edited:
Reactions: thestryker