Question RTX 4080 and a new PC .. Lower than expected FPS in Warzone 2?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tomtendo

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015
Before I explain what is happening, here are my PC Specs
  • CPU:Intel Core i7-12700KF 12-Core 3.60 GHz
  • GPU:GeForce® RTX™ 4080
  • RAM:Team T-FORCE Delta RGB 3200 MHz (max speed) 32 GB (2 x 16 GB)
  • Storage:Western Digital Blue SN570 NVMe M.2 SSD 1 TB
  • PSU: XPG Core Reactor, 850W, 80+ Gold
I am only getting around 130-170 FPS in Warzone 2 at 1080p max settings, whereas online, I see people with similar builds and 4080 getting 200+ FPS for 1080p. My CPU utilization is only around 3-6% and my GPU around 60% max during play.

What is happening? Similar issues with other games. Like GTA 5. Online youtube video shows them getting 180 max settings...and I am 150.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
It's not. Look at this image. https://ibb.co/zQPDz81

I question that you know how to use overlays but took a "screenshot" with your phone. I digress.

Download Nvidia Drivers. Don't install.

Reboot into safe mode no networking and run DDU - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Boot into regular Windows while disconnected from internet. Install Nvidia drivers making sure to select the small 'Clean Install' checkbox. Reboot

tomtendo

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015
I question that you know how to use overlays but took a "screenshot" with your phone. I digress.

Download Nvidia Drivers. Don't install.

Reboot into safe mode no networking and run DDU - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Boot into regular Windows while disconnected from internet. Install Nvidia drivers making sure to select the small 'Clean Install' checkbox. Reboot

lol yeah cause when I take a screenshot it doesn’t capture NVIDIAs overlay. That’s why

It’s a brand new PC. Do we think reinstalling drivers will help? And how do I install without internet?

Reactions: SyCoREAPER

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
lol yeah cause when I take a screenshot it doesn’t capture NVIDIAs overlay. That’s why

It’s a brand new PC. Do we think reinstalling drivers will help? And how do I install without internet?

Greenshot ;-) but for now I'll publicly eat my words, legit enough reason.

I admittedly skimmed the thread and must have missed that it was new. Less likely a driver issue then. And driver package is 800mb I think. It's an offline installer.

Is this a pre-built or did you build it?

tomtendo

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015
Greenshot ;-) but for now I'll publicly eat my words, legit enough reason.

I admittedly skimmed the thread and must have missed that it was new. Less likely a driver issue then. And driver package is 800mb I think. It's an offline installer.

Is this a pre-built or did you build it?
I did a pre build this time around from NZXT. I am getting conflicting reasons on Reddit. Some are saying my RAM is bottlenecking cause it’s “only” 3200mhz. But usage is never more than 40-50%

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Well 3200mhz could be part of it but personally I don't think it's strictly RAM. If you have some spare cash, get some G-Skill 4000mhz (currently 111 USD). It's CL18 rather than 16 but it basically is equal in gaming performance to 3600 CL16.

If it doesn't help just return it.

In Power Options (Windows 11 has two, find the old school Win10 looking one) check to make sure PCIe Linkstate is disabled.

Outside of those two it could be the motherboard itself. Never used an NZXT motherboard so I can't comment on its impact.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Huh? Wha?
Fps is a measure of cpu power, not gpu. With @ 10% usage, that's a lot of wasted fps. The pc is far more capable than that.

Got nothing to do with the ram. Usage isn't how much of the cpu is used, it's the amount of resources it uses, subtle but definitive difference. It also is a measure of wait time. Basically right now, 90% of the time it's doing nothing but waiting. That's why the fps is low.

When you say 'drivers' are you talking about All the drivers? or just the nvidia drivers, because it's just as important to have the motherboard drivers too. With a fresh windows install on a new pc, all the communications, pcie, Sata etc are being handled by windows drivers. Which frankly suck. They are generic, the NVMe driver is over 10 years old at this point and never updated.

So it may be as simple as you have flagship components capable of pcie4.0, talking to each other at pcie3.0 speeds with pcie, usb, Sata controllers set for windows generic default instead of motherboard performance driver settings.

I'd worry more about getting the pc setup right, adjusting any bios settings, windows settings etc than the particular fps of a game compared to other onliners who already streamlined their pc. I'd be using Cinebench, Prime95 small fft /AVX disabled, maybe underclock, power plans, stupid stuff like disable Xbox dvr/game helper, if using Geforce Experience see if it's set for 4k DSR etc.

Last edited:

tomtendo

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015
Well 3200mhz could be part of it but personally I don't think it's strictly RAM. If you have some spare cash, get some G-Skill 4000mhz (currently 111 USD). It's CL18 rather than 16 but it basically is equal in gaming performance to 3600 CL16.

If it doesn't help just return it.

In Power Options (Windows 11 has two, find the old school Win10 looking one) check to make sure PCIe Linkstate is disabled.

Outside of those two it could be the motherboard itself. Never used an NZXT motherboard so I can't comment on its impact.
I’m not sure if that ram is compatible on my MoBo. NZXT N7 Z690 https://nzxt.com/product/n5-z690

tomtendo

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015
Huh? Wha?
Fps is a measure of cpu power, not gpu. With @ 10% usage, that's a lot of wasted fps. The pc is far more capable than that.

Got nothing to do with the ram. Usage isn't how much of the cpu is used, it's the amount of resources it uses, subtle but definitive difference. It also is a measure of wait time. Basically right now, 90% of the time it's doing nothing but waiting. That's why the fps is low.

When you say 'drivers' are you talking about All the drivers? or just the nvidia drivers, because it's just as important to have the motherboard drivers too. With a fresh windows install on a new pc, all the communications, pcie, Sata etc are being handled by windows drivers. Which frankly suck. They are generic, the NVMe driver is over 10 years old at this point and never updated.

So it may be as simple as you have flagship components capable of pcie4.0, talking to each other at pcie3.0 speeds with pcie, usb, Sata controllers set for windows generic default instead of motherboard performance driver settings.

I'd worry more about getting the pc setup right, adjusting any bios settings, windows settings etc than the particular fps of a game compared to other onliners who already streamlined their pc. I'd be using Cinebench, Prime95 small fft /AVX disabled, maybe underclock, power plans, stupid stuff like disable Xbox dvr/game helper, if using Geforce Experience see if it's set for 4k DSR etc.
The bios is up to date, the NVIDIA is update to date, all windows updates are up to date, this is my the PC I bought on thanksgiving sale. https://nzxt.com/product/exclusive-4080-h7-pc

I got it for 2,300

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The bios is up to date, the NVIDIA is update to date, all windows updates are up to date
And you have not mentioned the motherboard chipset drivers, which was what I was talking about and are found in the same place as the bios on the motherboard website.

That's saying cpu 68% usage, ram 50%, gpu 47% which is exactly normal, leaving no room for hardware errors. Your fps being lower than others will be entirely due to Settings, somewhere.

Understand, online or YouTube only show what's possible not what's probable just because you have similar hardware. Right now it's also showing your cpu at 4.7GHz, which is the 12700K All Core Boost, Not the possible 5.0GHz the 12700K is capable of. Why that game is using All 10 cores is beyond me.

But one thing to consider is that those ppl getting 180+ fps are most likely using an Overclocked cpu whereas yours is set at default settings.

tomtendo

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015
And you have not mentioned the motherboard chipset drivers, which was what I was talking about and are found in the same place as the bios on the motherboard website.

That's saying cpu 68% usage, ram 50%, gpu 47% which is exactly normal, leaving no room for hardware errors. Your fps being lower than others will be entirely due to Settings, somewhere.

Understand, online or YouTube only show what's possible not what's probable just because you have similar hardware. Right now it's also showing your cpu at 4.7GHz, which is the 12700K All Core Boost, Not the possible 5.0GHz the 12700K is capable of. Why that game is using All 10 cores is beyond me.

But one thing to consider is that those ppl getting 180+ fps are most likely using an Overclocked cpu whereas yours is set at default settings.

my FPS doesn’t change if I lower settings tho… you would think it would raise them..

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Can we stop looking at WHOLE cpu utility? It's useless for this, except for folks on ancient dual and quad cores, where they are so slow, the entire cpu can get pegged at 100%...

As already mentioned, reviews and other videos show what is possible, not what you might get. In practice, cpu and software(be it the game engine, or what's on your PC compared to others) limitations are more common and easier to run into.
Then there's settings. The presets are not optimal, but it's a pain in the butt to do that for every game in the library.

tomtendo

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015
Can we stop looking at WHOLE cpu utility? It's useless for this, except for folks on ancient dual and quad cores, where they are so slow, the entire cpu can get pegged at 100%...

As already mentioned, reviews and other videos show what is possible, not what you might get. In practice, cpu and software(be it the game engine, or what's on your PC compared to others) limitations are more common and easier to run into.
Then there's settings. The presets are not optimal, but it's a pain in the butt to do that for every game in the library.
But why doesn’t my FPS change with I lower my settings ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Like Karadjgne posted, the cpu is waiting on instructions.
If the primary core isn't being pegged at like 85-90%, then it's software related or some dumb setting somewhere not working as expected. The problem is figuring it out if it isn't a busy single core...
BTW, if you open up that Task Manager window again, right-click on the right side, hover over 'change graph to', and click 'logical processors', it'll show them all.

tomtendo

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015
If the primary core isn't being pegged at like 85-90%, then it's software related or some dumb setting somewhere not working as expected. The problem is figuring it out if it isn't a busy single core...
BTW, if you open up that Task Manager window again, right-click on the right side, hover over 'change graph to', and click 'logical processors', it'll show them all.

I also ran this test https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/84768294?

tomtendo

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015

Check this out. https://freeimage.host/i/HnLABrN

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That 3dmark score is saying your pc is actually better than 99% of all other pc's that software has had tests uploaded, which is saying there's nothing wrong with your hardware, but once you click on a game, you are no longer subject to that 3dmark, you are subject to the game software settings and any drivers and their settinfs initiated by the software.

So you need to look more closely at windows/game settings or geforce experience settings, to see where the fps is being blocked or slowed.

tomtendo

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015
That 3dmark score is saying your pc is actually better than 99% of all other pc's that software has had tests uploaded, which is saying there's nothing wrong with your hardware, but once you click on a game, you are no longer subject to that 3dmark, you are subject to the game software settings and any drivers and their settinfs initiated by the software.

So you need to look more closely at windows/game settings or geforce experience settings, to see where the fps is being blocked or slowed.
Did you see this? https://freeimage.host/i/HnLABrN

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's easy. Imagine that at low settings the gpu could render 500fps and at ultra settings the gpu could render 250fps. Now imagine the cpu can only send 100fps. You get 100fps on screen regardless of low or ultra because it's capable of more but can only reproduce what it gets.

If the cpu sent 1000fps, then the work is on the gpu, you change from ultra to low, you see fps change from 250 to 500.

So right now, your gpu us capable of more fps, but us not getting more, so any changes are above the amount it's getting, resulting in little to no change.

There's something in the software or settings that's stopping the cpu from sending higher fps to the gpu.

Dec 4, 2022
Check this video: Z690 rebar

Advanced>Chipset>Above 4G Decoding Set to Enabled>Re-Size BAR Support

"Resizable BAR is an optional PCI Express interface technology. As you move through a world in a game, GPU memory (VRAM) constantly transfers textures, shaders and geometry via many small CPU to GPU transfers.
With the ever-growing size of modern game assets, this results in a lot of transfers. Using Resizable BAR, assets can instead be requested as-needed and sent in full, so the CPU can efficiently access the entire frame buffer. And if multiple requests are made, transfers can occur concurrently, rather than queuing. "