News RTX 4090 From Newegg Arrived as Metal Blocks, Claims Customer

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I don't believe the complainant here. With the two metal objects free floating in the package as shown, the metal objects would have clanged together and made a fair amount of racket whenever the package was handled. In fact, the noise generated by the pieces hitting each other would have made the shipper and the recipient think that something was broken or loose inside the package--which he apparently doesn't even mention. Hopefully, the guy paid extra for insurance in the shipping, which would be a no-brainer with something that expensive. As the switch could have taken place anywhere en route from Newegg, and not necessarily at Newegg itself, I hope the guy had insurance on his $1600 component!...;)

If it were Amazon I would say 99% sure it's a scam. With Newegg... it's closer to 50/50

I disagree. It all depends on if you are buying from NewEgg and Amazon direct instead of from a 3rd party reseller that they are hosting the sale from. A lot of buyers in a rush to get the latest hot item really don't bother to pay attention to what vendor they are actually buying from.

That said, I take photos of all boxes of expensive items before opening when delivered from an E-tailer. So that's not unusual for the buyer here to do that as some accuse of being suspicious. However, as others have noted, something still doesn't pass the smell test. If I got jacked, the absolute last action I'd even think about doing was posting photos and comments about the situation on Reddit...if I actually had an account in that dumpster juice platform.

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
Sucks if it's true. The contents could have been swapped out by someone from UPS closer to the destination.

I just got my Gigabyte 4090 gaming OC and the only real seal was the tape on the anti static bag around the card. Would have been really easy to swap out the contents.

Reactions: Tom Sunday

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
The higher than 0 probability of something as such happening or of a package getting thrown into a van (with some electronics not designed to be sturdy for such handling, even if packaged with foam), that is why I prefer to pick up a range of items directly in the shop of the seller.

Which isn't to say that there aren't professional delivery companies. But what some of the big players are doing - such as offering free shipment on everything, to then look for the cheapest sub-contractor to do the delivery, who in turn puts a lot of work onto the driver, who may end up in a rush and possibly also tired - that doesn't really make me confident that the not cheap pieces of fine electronics arrive in a state as should be.

Of course, not necessarily much an option for someone living in a remote area. But I have several different electronics shops nearby, one of which even a PC-specialized warehouse with a store-front. So I collected components for my new rig in person (and now just waiting for the motherboard to arrive at one of the shops, as this particular MB apparently no one in the entire city had in stock).

InvalidError

Titan
The higher than 0 probability of something as such happening or of a package getting thrown into a van (with some electronics not designed to be sturdy for such handling, even if packaged with foam), that is why I prefer to pick up a range of items directly in the shop of the seller.
Unless your retailer is large enough to order entire pallets of GPUs directly from the manufacturer or its immediate distributors, chances are your parts are still going through automated sorting machines at warehouses and shipping facilities and some of those practically catapult parcels into shipping bins. Even if you pick orders up in person at your retailer, there is no guarantee it hasn't already been roughed up. That is why almost everything comes in heavily padded boxes to mitigate the amount of DoAs from shipping and handling.

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
The best solution to this issue is to force the buyer to open the box at delivery and then sign a paper that he received it complete. problem solved.

Thats the only way to solve this. because you will never know who is the thief and who is the liar.

InvalidError

Titan
The best solution to this issue is to force the buyer to open the box at delivery and then sign a paper that he received it complete. problem solved.

Thats the only way to solve this. because you will never know who is the thief and who is the liar.
Who is going to be paying for the delivery driver to wait for you to open the box at the door? You'd also need the driver to have some degree of knowledge about what is supposed to have been delivered if he's going to be expected to vouch for the delivery being as ordered on the spot. Some scammers disguise their box filler well enough that the wrong product being inside the box isn't immediately evident and then you still don't know whether the swap happened before or after the delivery unboxing confirmation.

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
Who is going to be paying for the delivery driver to wait for you to open the box at the door? You'd also need the driver to have some degree of knowledge about what is supposed to have been delivered if he's going to be expected to vouch for the delivery being as ordered on the spot. Some scammers disguise their box filler well enough that the wrong product being inside the box isn't immediately evident and then you still don't know whether the swap happened before or after the delivery unboxing confirmation.

The buyer pays for it as an optional delivery cost some $5-10 more. The driver does not need to be a tech expert. Just a witness or carry a Camera on him that records the delivery process .

Reactions: Nathkrul

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Me and the wife do unpacking videos of anything that is of significant value. We have never had a problem getting compensated for damage or missing components. We did something similar when we were selling on ebay to prevent scammers from cheating us. We would video the packing, and we would put tamper resistant tape on all edges. And then sign the tape. Then we would video tape that unique signature at the post office as it was handed in for shipping.

Since the video cards are serialized, it should be possible to track that package back to the person who packaged it.

But I am with others, those blocks of metal would have bounced around massively and damaged the foam and each other.

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
Oct 15, 2022
It may not be Newegg, the delivery driver, or the customer issue. It's possible someone else bought the GPU, swapped it out, sealed it up nicely, returned it back to Newegg. It looks like it's never been opened. Newegg handler.sees it's never been opened, so sets it back on shelf in warehouse to be sold again. New buyer buys it and the rest is history

Reactions: bigdragon
Oct 21, 2022
I think he may be lying, since Nvidia's top of the line GPUs often comes with three fans which includes all the partners from Asus, Aorus, Zotac, Palit etc and this being a Gigabyte RTX4090 should have three fans. That box looks like it doesn't fit anything bigger than 2 fans. Plus I don't know of 40 series currently have anything that is 2 fanned for now but I am pretty sure RTX4090 does not come with a 2 fan option.

Last edited:

Mr. Smith

BANNED
Dec 25, 2021
Newegg is trusted, and some third party might be involved in it. However, if this is true Newegg has to send another one.

I'm leaning toward not believing it because
a) reddit
b) those metal blocks would have destroyed the foam in the box

That said the least suspicious part in this is video recording his openning of the boxes. I've done that every time i got a box of something that either seems "damaged" or "suspicious", and i'd think "clinking" would make me suspicious enough to record it.

still it's so easy to stage these recordings, so while i believe a legit case could have someone taking pictures/video before openings; I still am skeptical in this one case.

Reactions: ikernelpro4

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I never seen if this was sold and shipped by Newegg or a 3rd party seller. It's a big difference.

EDIT. It's also easy to get your credit card company to reverse the charge. You just don't get to buy from Newegg again.

After reading his original post I call BS.

This is all he says and has a picture.
Hey guys, check out my new 4090. Side note, Newegg seems to have locked my account instead of responding, so that's cool.

Even some of the responses on that said from some of his other post on that site they have to call BS.

Last edited: