Question RTX GPU usage at 100% whilst iGPU remains practically unused on low level games ?

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Hi. I have an Alienware M15 R1 Laptop (OLED) with:
i7 8750H
RTX 2070 Max-Q (Boost Clock 1305, Core Clock ?)
Intel UHD 630
(2x 8GB) 16GB 2667mhz RAM
250GB + 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSDs

More recently I have been checking Task Manager to monitor performance I get in games and have recently noticed that for some reason on basic games such as Fortnite and Minecraft Java it spikes around a lot often getting long bursts of 80% - 100% usage on the RTX card which is for some reason offloading the pressure onto my CPU which settles at 50% - 60% after a while. The confusing part is that when I check Task Manager whilst the RTX GPU is averaging around 80% - 100% usage my iGPU barely goes higher than 5% - 10% usage even when my CPU is running at 50% - 60%. My laptop having 2 GPUs (one more for games, one more for casual and low end stuff built in with the CPU) I assumed would mean that both GPUs would share the workload of all Graphical tasks (although I do get there is a limit to what iGPUs can do even though I do know they can run games).
When I check HWinfo and Task Manager however it reports my RTX card is averaging from about 50 degrees - 60 degrees (and about 60 degrees to 65 degrees on the GPU hot spot) which I'm pretty sure means my GPU wasn't being limited due to thermals and even more confusing was that the frames whilst slightly unstable at the start, would always smoothen out and remain stable the rest of the time.

Do note just yesterday performed a Nvidia Geforce Experience Driver update on my GPU.

I suppose what I am trying to ask is should I be worried about my GPU constantly running at 100% whenever I do games? Could this be an indicator of my GPU wearing down (end of lifespan)? Is there any way to configure my PC so it offloads more of the tasks possible between my iGPU and RTX GPU?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
should I be worried about my GPU constantly running at 100% whenever I do games?

Since you have laptop, this is inevitable. Especially since laptop GPUs are quite a bit weaker than their desktop counterparts. Also, thermals will always be an issue with laptop and you can't to almost anything to improve thermals. Only two things are: clean laptop internals from dust and replace thermal pads within laptop (between hardware and heatsinks).

Could this be an indicator of my GPU wearing down (end of lifespan)?

No. This is indicator that the games you play, are free to utilize GPU to get highest FPS. E.g 120+ FPS in Fortnite and 300+ FPS in Minecraft. (FPS values are my estimations.)
Now, if you were to put FPS cap in place, e.g 60 FPS on Fortnite and Minecraft, this should also limit GPU usage.

All-in-all, best FPS cap is equal to your screen refresh rate. Since anything above can cause stutters and is essentially waste of performance, since you can't see/enjoy it at all. E.g if your screen is 144 Hz, put FPS cap to 144.

Is there any way to configure my PC so it offloads more of the tasks possible between my iGPU and RTX GPU?

For most of the times, when there is dedicated GPU in the system, integrated GPU is disabled. This is so with desktop PCs. Now, with laptops, it is possible that dGPU is used for almost everything wile iGPU is only reserved for very light tasks, like web browsing.

Here is comparison between two of your GPUs,
link: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...Nvidia-RTX-2070-Mobile-Max-Q/m356797vsm703511

With that huge of a difference, even 1% load reduction from your dGPU, will max out your iGPU. Due to that, there is no point to "balance the load" between two GPUs. And as far as i'm aware, this can't be even done. It's not like you'd have two equal CPU cores, that you can spread the load in between the two.