Question RTX3080, 5800x, extremely terrible performance

Dec 25, 2022
On my 1440p monitor:
Apex Legends: ranges from 55-80 fps on the ground depending on whether im in a fight or looking at the sky, barely 30 fps when in the ship flying over the map and changing graphic settings doesn't change the fps, low or ultra (compared to avg 180-200 fps benchmarks)
Cyberpunk: 40 fps on ultra settings, barely 30 with rtx on.

Since I moved home briefly for the holidays and couldn’t take my 1440p monitor with me, I’m stuck with a 1080p one for now.

On my 1080p monitor:
Valorant: 110 frames avg max settings
Elden Ring: Rarely a shaky 60fps, drops down to a constant 25fps in windy areas with leaves, changing graphic setting doesnt change fps
Cyberpunk: same thing as the 1440p monitor, if not a little worse
Apex Legends: no difference from 1440p
Staxel, which is literally a blockish minecraft looking game: barely 35fps

For all of these games except for Cyberpunk, changing settings from ultra to low doesn’t affect the fps.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 5800x
RTX 3080 Founders Edition
Asus Rog Strix B550-A
Corsair RMx 850W Gold
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD
Corsair Vengeance 4x8gb DDR4 3200MHz

For games like Elden Ring and Cyberpunk, gpu utilization is always higher than 90% while cpu utilization is hovering around 40%. I haven’t checked utilizations for “easier to run” games like Valorant. Cpu temps don’t go higher than 70C and gpu temps don’t go higher than 62C. UserBenchmark tells me that my gpu is performing at the 7th percentile, sometimes 8th percentile, while everything else is close to average.

I’ve tried enabling rebar, turning on docp, changing the power management settings in both windows and nvidia control panel, using DDU to clean old drivers, and made sure I’ve got the latest graphic drivers. I’m not daisy chaining the cables to the gpu either. Today I swapped out a new psu to see if that was the problem as sometimes my peripherals, especially the keyboard, would get randomly disconnected despite the cable being tested and fine. (This was a problem in my old pc that was fixed with a new psu.) None of these changes made a difference. The whole thing blue screened a couple days ago.

This is really disheartening because its my first build and yet it’s performing worse than my old dell prebuilt with a 1660ti shoved into it, which could run Elden Ring and Cyberpunk and high and medium-high settings respectively at a solid 60fps. Is there anything I can do? Is it just a faulty gpu that I happened to get? Any help would be appreciated.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/57768817
Having replaced the psu last night and also pulling out two sticks of ram, the gpu's at a higher percentile so I just hopped into Elden Ring to see if it was still running at 25fps, and it seems to have gotten better by about 5fps when standing still, but when moving it still drops down to 25.
Run ubm like this.

Reboot.
Wait a few mins.
Run ubm with the browser closed.
Post a link to the results page.

What bios level are you on?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check the GE, if the games are Optimized then more than likely they are Globally set for a 4K DSR, pre-rendering in 4k before final render at 1440p. Make for a great picture at a heavy cost to the gpu.

GE doesn't have to be open, the settings within are the gpu settings, changing game settings will change that Optimization, but if the game only uses final resolution, it won't change the DSR. Or Ray Tracing or DLSS and those could be active and maxed too.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Was Windows installed from scratch on your new system? From Dell system wouldn't or shouldn't activate anyway but just checking.

Latest chipset drivers from Amd and possibly Bios as well.

What's loading up in task manager startup items?

Dec 25, 2022
Check the GE, if the games are Optimized then more than likely they are Globally set for a 4K DSR, pre-rendering in 4k before final render at 1440p. Make for a great picture at a heavy cost to the gpu.

GE doesn't have to be open, the settings within are the gpu settings, changing game settings will change that Optimization, but if the game only uses final resolution, it won't change the DSR. Or Ray Tracing or DLSS and those could be active and maxed too.
I see, so should I turn off the optimization?

Dec 25, 2022
Was Windows installed from scratch on your new system? From Dell system wouldn't or shouldn't activate anyway but just checking.

Latest chipset drivers from Amd and possibly Bios as well.

What's loading up in task manager startup items?
I deactivated my copy of windows that came with the dell prebuilt, used cmd to find the product key, and then used the product key for this new system. Right now in settings, it says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account."

I downloaded the latest chipset drivers, I don't know if using DDU to clean things changed that? If I redownload them will that hurt anything?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just check the settings. Make sure it's not set for a 4k DSR. Check for RT levels.

You have a powerful card, but that doesn't mean it can't be bogged down simply by excessive features use.

There's nothing glaringly obvious in ubm to mention any hardware obstructions, so whatever is bulking the fps is software based, whether that's conflicts in the registry, OS health, bios version, global settings, something.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What's interesting and off topic is how Dell's license became active on a different system. Shhhhh! :)

Test a reinstall of Windows on another drive. Installing only chipset from Amd and Nvidia drivers and test only with that. See what your fps is like.

Additionally after that, power plans for cpu minimum processor state 10%.

Dec 25, 2022
Just check the settings. Make sure it's not set for a 4k DSR. Check for RT levels.

You have a powerful card, but that doesn't mean it can't be bogged down simply by excessive features use.

There's nothing glaringly obvious in ubm to mention any hardware obstructions, so whatever is bulking the fps is software based, whether that's conflicts in the registry, OS health, bios version, global settings, something.
Looks like Elden Ring was running at 3840x2160 DSR, I've changed it to 1980x1080 but the frames haven't really changed. Nothing else has the DSR on. How do I check RT levels?

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2022
I don't have another drive, so tmr I'll just try a reinstall of windows via the method Karadjgne said, plus the bios update, chipset drivers and everything, and see how it goes.

Dec 25, 2022
I ended up reinstalling Windows but not keeping anything. Got the chipset drivers, newest graphics drivers, updated Windows, updated BIOS, and changed the power plans for cpu minimum processor state to 10%, and then tried the "High Performance Power Plan" which turns it up to 100%. I just reinstalled Elden Ring and Apex so far, but so far, I can't tell a difference.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/57830713
View: https://imgur.com/a/pIH9s3u

View: https://imgur.com/a/iInIa27

I noticed your benchmark showed your display as 1080p. Forgive me for asking a silly question, what would happen if you temporarily unhooked the 1080p screen? My 6700xt does great with 1440p though I do have a 3080 on the way. Got Christmas money, so why not resell the 6700xt and go faster?

But if userbenchmark is showing you on a 1080p screen, I wonder if your cpu is artificially bottlenecking your gpu since it may think you are using 1080p and the cpu could be getting loaded and not able to keep up.