Rumor: Apple Tablet in 2010 for $500 to $700

Status
Not open for further replies.

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
It's from Apple , of course it will be pretty expensive. People will buy it anyway though. Apple is good at selling expensive stuff.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
It will be call innovation even though there are touchscreen netbooks and notebooks running on Windows 7 RC.

If the Vatican hires Apple Marketing Team, I'm sure the Holy Roman Empire would be great again...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
The iPhone (with a dataplan, or without one) ends up costing around that much anyways.
700 for a tablet is fine. The question is how good will recognition be? How powerful will the system be? How much battery life will it have? What apps can it actualy run? Will there be a keyboard, or will it be just a 'big iPod Touch'?

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
The interesting thing will be to see how Apple can truly differentiate itself for this product other than aesthetic design and the OS, given that almost all netbooks currently run some sort of Intel Atom set-up. Of course, by this time we could be in the next generation of netbook components...

Would you pay the premium for the aesthetics and OS? Not me...

[citation][nom]mforce2[/nom]It's from Apple , of course it will be pretty expensive. People will buy it anyway though. Apple is good at selling expensive stuff.[/citation]

yeap and for people who only care about the looks and will not mind the premium rather than getting better internals

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]saturn77[/nom]A 7" screen for $700? LOL!It will fail.[/citation]
If the battery life is good, and it runs a dual core, with a half decent graphics solution, yeah, a 7" tablet is fine @ $700. This coming from an engineering student who loves tablets for note-taking and a paper-free enviroment...

G

This is all specultation and you can already say it will be overpriced and/or that it will fail?

Apple is taking its sweet time but there are many markets they haven't invested yet like the tablets market. They do good with their other product lines, why would they fail?

waffletronic

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
The only way I'd buy something like this is if it had a stylus + multitouch. Multitouch is great for navigation and gross manipulation (not fine work) and a stylus would be great for writing/drawing. Preferably something like Wacom's Penabled stuff. I'd totally buy that in a heartbeat. But if it's just a giant ipod touch? No way.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Seeing as Apple rumors rarely ever pop up I expect that this must be true. ;)

Honestly, 2010 is a loooonng way away. And the hardware will change dramatically for laptops in that time. Nehalem based chips are coming out later this year for high end laptops. Core i5 should be released and possibly the new chip for mainstream laptops. DDR3 will become the new DDR2, SSD's will be mainstream.

There is just to much stuff changing for a rumor to hold much credibility. And Mac Tablets already exist, in the form of the Axiotron Modbook.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I thought apple made the statement just a month ago that they could not produce anything for that cheap that wouldn't be crap...

Someone must have knocked some sense into them.

7 inch screen seems too small though, especially for $500-700.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]If the battery life is good, and it runs a dual core, with a half decent graphics solution, yeah, a 7" tablet is fine @ $700. This coming from an engineering student who loves tablets for note-taking and a paper-free enviroment...[/citation]

I too am an engineering student, however i'm more of a pencil and paper kind of guy. I just don't see too many people being able to afford something like that (college students here) just for taking notes. If this tablet could function as a laptop replacement then that would be a completely different story. But 7 in. doesn't seem like enough room to support the hardware to replace what most laptops can do. I guess it all has to do with a student's personal budget and what they want their computer to be able to do.

Maybe it's different where i go to school, but in a class room of 200, i normally see 2-3 tablets. However...

I bet with a shiny white case and apple logo there will be a lot more girls using tablets in class. There seems to be a lot of girls thinking they must have an apple computer at school... I guess their daddy's don't mind forking over the extra cash :)

reklatsa

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
Apple now have their own superior microprocessor team in place... I doubt Intel will get look in if Apple go with an iNet touchy-typey thing. Whatever... I'm sure the device they produce will make PC netbooks look rubbish.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
If it doesn't run OS X, functionality could be deliberately lowered in order not to cannibalize on MacBook sales, that is really sad, I was thinking of getting one but now I am not so sure...

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Reklatsa[/nom]Apple now have their own superior microprocessor team in place... I doubt Intel will get look in if Apple go with an iNet touchy-typey thing. Whatever... I'm sure the device they produce will make PC netbooks look rubbish.[/citation]

sounds like you associate superior with the word apple. seeing as Intel has been doing this longer than apple, i think we know where the word "superior" belongs, and it's definitely not under that cute little apple logo.

"I'm sure the device they produce will make PC netbooks look rubbish."
classic apple fan-girlism. I think you were just begging for someone to call you out on that statement. Well you got what you wanted.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
WORST TABLET COMPUTER EVER. Seriously, 7" screen and an Intel Atom Processor. You just lost all the functionality of a tablet. For $700 you can get a used M200 for $400 and do paces around that POS with a 14" screen.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]I too am an engineering student, however i'm more of a pencil and paper kind of guy. [/citation]
Well, transferring data between myself and the professor is made easier by having my notes digital to begin with, when face to face meetings can't happen. Also, I have always had poor handwriting, and the recognition software is great. Not to mention paper always seems to get torn, ripped, and otherwise lost, not to mention adds a huge amount of weight to my daily load. I wanted to reduce the weight I carry around, and the tablet helped, by not having to carry printed powerpoint slides around with me, as well as even textbooks, in some cases.
My budget is limited to my financial aid, and so far, it has been sufficient.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
well at least you have financial aid. my financial aid is virtually nonexistent. noooooo financial aid for a middle class Caucasian male, no matter how good my grades are. the financial aid they offer is "get a loan with reduced rates". now if i had been born a minority (nothing against them, just the people handing out scholarships), the story might have been quite different.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Hmm.. I do believe someday mac will be handing out a tablet, making it $700 seems far fetched, probably close to $999, unless they cheapen the parts so much it's really a $250 tablet marked up $700

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
falchard:

How the f*ck would you know ?, as long as this is not on the market there is no way to tell.

Reklatsa:

Liking or not liking the looks of the device is personal but again since no one actually saw this thing there is no way to tell what it will look like just speculations.

In general:

It's really clear to me that in the US there is some kind of hate culture i find this odd specially concerning devices that a rumored to possibly be produced in the future.
Why so negative or for lack of better words "extreme" ?
Cant you just like a product and dislike the price ... or dislike the screen size but like the idea ?
Fanboyism is lame for either camp though i wonder what the reply's would be if this was not an apple product since at least half of the above posts are about apple and there marketing campaigns or worse just anti-ism.

Status
Not open for further replies.