Rumor: Apple to Hold New iPad Event October 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Apple will bump the resolution up slight higher than 1080, charge $350 for this, and then claim it's industry leading.

The Nexus 7 has been leading this segment for 2 years and counting. The only thing Apple is the learder in is playing catch up ball.

Tuishimi

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Is it me or is Apple losing its showmanship and drama? By that I mean, they used to be able to get people worked up for just a couple times (maybe twice) per year... all kinds of build up and everyone whether pro- or anti- got excited to see what Apple would be showing / releasing. Now I feel like they have an event every month or so. (I know I am wrong about that, of course).

nguyenm

Honorable
May 1, 2013
Nokia is having Nokia World on Oct 22nd, 2013 in the middle east as well. I will be looking forward to that more than Apple's event hands down.

smokeybravo

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
It's funny how a lot of people in the technology community hate Apple, but Apple is one of the most valuable countries in the world. It's like the nerd being upset someone else took his crush to homecoming.

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
People hate Apple for being smug conditioning people that everything they do is perfect and for spreading FUD, not for it being a rich company.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

Apple isn't a country, though I'm sure they've considered buying a small independent nation and planting their HQ there to avoid US tax laws.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Tech people hate Apple because somehow they bought into the hype that Google is looking out for them with Android. It's sad really since Samsung and Google are just as bad as Apple when it comes to spreading FUD.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Less to do with that than the fact that Apple continuously releases sub-par products and overcharges for them, copies other products and then claims innovation, and tries to patent troll their competition instead of making competitive products. It also has to do with the fact that Lord Jobs was basically an egomaniac who treated his employees like dirt and was known to throw fits when he didn't get his way.

In addition, the majority of people who buy Apple products only do so to make a "mee too" fashion statement and are relatively ignorant about the product aside from the fact that they know its "cool" and what everyone else has. Apple knows this and that's why they include things like stickers with their product.They want you to put that logo on your bumper where others can see it. It's also why they make a big deal out of the mindless sheep standing in line outside of the stores to be the first to have them. That's not about quality, that's about proving something socially.

game junky

Distinguished
People that like their Apple devices will be excited, people that have Android/Windows Mobile devices will not care. Have an iPhone, very happy with my iPhone. Had an iPad2, was very happy with my iPad but really need any for day to day stuff so I sold it. The newest iPads won't have a niche in my life, but I know plenty of people who are excited to upgrade their older iPads assuming the price and quality is right. Here's what everyone is predicting and they're most likely correct:

iPad Mini will swap to retina display - close to/higher than 1080p res. It will more than likely switch to the iPhone5C's design scheme/color options.

iPad will upgrade processor, come with a biometric scanner and change design elements to resemble the iPhone 5S. Per usual, it will become a little thinner, a little lighter and the battery life will slightly improve.

Doubtful they're ready to unveil the iWatch or the iTV, but it could be something they're going to use as a surprise. Lord knows I am sure they're tired of seeing the Samsung Galaxy Gear commercials without having some kind of retort and they could take a serious chunk out of the Xbox One sales by creating a new TV watching experience.

That's my guess

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

Written like a true android fan boy. Anyone who buys an Apple product is automatically a mindless drone who buys whatever Apple sells. This is a common theme spread around by fandroids. As IT professional myself I love technology and I have purchased and tried a lot of devices from a lot of different companies and I completely disagree with your opinion that Apple released inferior hardware. In my experience their overall hardware packages is far Superior to the offerings from most Android devices. You can't just look at some spec's and numbers giving you have to take the whole device in account from materials used, craftsmanship, etc. It has been proven time and time again through various benchmarks that iphones and ipad's outperform androids with superior specs. I have been using a Nexus 7 at work lately and it is a nice feeling device at a great price but the user experience is still way behind an ipad.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

First, you didn’t even read my post. I said the “majority” of people who purchase apple products are drones.

Next, you obviously have your belly full of the fruity kool aid yourself so let me set a few things straight.

First, lets talk about quality. You’ve dropped that nonsense Apple talking point about materials, craftsmanship, and whatever other bologna. Apple phones are assembled by Foxconn just like the vast majority of other phone companies. Foxconn uses low-wage Chinese workers to assemble products. The first through third generations of iPhone were all plastic, a material that is typically made fun of by most fruit zombies. The iPhone 4 was an utter disaster all glass phone which cracked very easily. An entire industry was built around repairing the glass, screen, and home buttons which frequently go out. Just like the one on my father’s did after a year. I was an iPhone user myself up through the 3Gs which the entire screen separated from the body of the phone. I babied that thing just like I do all my electronics. Wasn’t a scratch on it. One day, the screen just came unglued. It was repaired under warranty, but that’s two iPhone failures in one family in the course of 1 year. Should I bring up all the fails with the gyroscope and other sensors with the 5S? There is absolutely no quality advantage whatsoever, and certainly not one that justifies the price premium that Apple charges.

iPhones have been behind performance wise for a long time. I don’t think anyone would say the 4s compared favorably to the S3 which utterly destroyed it in every way from screen to LTE compatibility. Apple finally caved to market trends (way behind the times) with the 5 by increasing screen size slightly.

Show me some benchmarks where the iPhone beats the latest Android phones at any given time. With each release, Apple simply catches up with the Android flagships and is quickly surpassed shortly after. Software optimizations? Maybe, but iOS 7 is a circus that (literally) makes people sick to look at. Another failed attempt to copy the design language of its competitors.

Lastly, the vast majority of iPhone users have always been iphone users and refuse to consider the competition out of the blindness and ignorance that I mentioned earlier. I don't know of ANYONE who had an S3 or S4 and decided to downgrade to an iPhone. Let me ask you this? Have you used a recent high end Android phone as a daily driver for at least a month? I bet you haven’t. As for the Nexus 7 vs the iPad, you’re comparing a $500 product to a $200 product unless you’re going to try to say the mini is better which I think everyone knows is not the case.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

Your completely wrong stating that apple charges a premium for their phones. Last time I checked ATT & Verizon charge $200 for a 5S or $200 for a plastic Galaxy S4. Don't see how that is a premium price.

Your performance claims are also wrong. The current A7 chip blows the snap dragon 800 away. There have also been a lot of new benchmarks that show responsiveness of touch to reaction of iphones is significantly faster than any android phone.

I have has plenty of time with the Gallaxy S3 and it is a decent phone and if I had never used an iPhone before I would probably be happy with it, but comparing the two the iPhone just offers a better over all package.

Finally I support our companies byod program at work and we have about 200 phones connected to our systems, about 70% iphone and they rest Android and we have significantly more tickets opened on the android phones. Unfortunately android is still a fragmented mess.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424668,00.asp
http://bgr.com/2013/09/20/iphone-android-touch-screen-responsiveness/

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Actually you obviously have no idea how carrier subsidies work so let me educate you. $200 is what the consumer pays after discounts given by the carrier in exchange for signing a long term contract. Full price is paid for the phone, just over time. Off contract, the iPhone 5s actually costs around $650. According to estimates, the 5s costs around $199 to produce. That's a margin of $450 per phone.

Compare that to the Google Nexus 4 which is estimated to cost around $200 to build which Google sells for $299. Or the upcoming Nexus 5 which likely costs significantly more than the iPhone to make due to larger screen, better camera, more RAM, etc. This will be priced at $300-400. Margins of around $100. Still think Apple customers aren't getting screwed? Tim Cook looks at those lines outside of the stores and counts off "Sucker 1, Sucker 2, Sucker 3........"

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/24/iphone-5s-5c-teardowns-suggest-199-183-build-costs-for-apple

Status
Not open for further replies.