Rumor: Apple to Switch Back to Nvidia for 2012 GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is one of the biggest in-your-face-amd-fanboys proof of glofo's production issues with their 32 nm node.
llano's versatility as a decent cpu and a strong gpu interested apple. if glofo provided apple with enough llanos, amd could have made a !@#$ load of money there. amd could have taken up an even larger share of gpu market from leader intel and 3rd place nvidia. not to mention llano could have resulted in a (hopefully) cheaper macbook air.
intel's success in being chosen by apple is only a rebound choice. :p
amd's trouble will only grow because next year intel will have ivb. amd's trinity is nowhere in sight. i think i saw wikipedia's entry about trinity's release date changed from q1 2012 to h1 2012.
unless...you want to see dr laptops with fx. (i keep thinking about that for some reason :p)

G

I stopped reading the crap from semiaccurate a long time ago. I try to avoid extremely biased sources.

Yeah - the article is old news by now and has been discussed in several threads, but I agree - esp. the fact that AMD couldn't promise enough of the high-end Llano's due to yield problems with GF, has cost them a potentially pretty lucrative deal with Apple. According to some other rumors, AMD is pulling their 28nm production (Brazos updates anyway) from GF and going with TSMC. I dunno if the Southern Islands (AMD 7xxx GPUs) are affected or not, but if I were Rory Read, I'd pull those from GF as well, seeing as how some reports show TSMC's 28nm process to be around 45% higher performance than their 40nm process.

I think AMD already knew this some time ago, and is one of the reasons for the recent 10% workforce layoffs. If they stay with GF as their fab, they're probably going to get in even more difficulty. So, time to pull the plug..

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
sad times for AMD...and it's tough for them, poor chaps. Nvidia's twice as big in terms of capital and Intel's 30 times bigger.

I think the only thing stopping Intel/Nvidia from buying AMD/ATI is an anti-trust lawsuit.

Actually, Intel could buy both AMD and Nvidia...and maybe even ARM...VIA is a bit big, but certainly within their budget. lol.

Though going by this logic, Apple could probably buy IBM or MS.

All sad thoughts...

jimmy-bee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]why bother?Macs cant run games[/citation]
Total BS and you know it. Apple never really has sold itself as a gaming platform in the first place.
I have a STEAM account out of necessity for part of my gaming on my gaming computer. One thing I noticed with my Macbook Pro one day was that if I put OS X version of STEAM on my MacI it will allow me to download all my games to it and run them under OS X. Pretty cool, I don't do it but I can. I also use a Mini Mac with XP boot-camped to play old legacy games on up to Oblivion that refuses to work on my big 7 gaming rig.

jimmy-bee

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
[citation][nom]eightyfour[/nom]this means is that you're now overpaying for slightly different hardware?[/citation]
Lots of haters, price a Sony Vio or another comparable computer to a Mac and you will surprised that your bias is unwarranted.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Bad news for AMD. When the change does happen it might be worth getting some stocks with them, they are due another share price rise 2015-2020 (had a peak in 1995, then again in 2005).

rpp

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
[citation][nom]jimmy-bee[/nom]Total BS and you know it. Apple never really has sold itself as a gaming platform in the first place.I have a STEAM account out of necessity for part of my gaming on my gaming computer. One thing I noticed with my Macbook Pro one day was that if I put OS X version of STEAM on my MacI it will allow me to download all my games to it and run them under OS X. Pretty cool, I don't do it but I can. I also use a Mini Mac with XP boot-camped to play old legacy games on up to Oblivion that refuses to work on my big 7 gaming rig.[/citation]
but macs rock i hate windows but
why bother?Macs cant run games
i have a big windows 7 gameing rig but you jmmy-bee dont understand its apple that can make gpus but is lazy and does not steve jobs said apple will make gpus in 2010 but apple still does not make gpus .sad times for AMD...and it's tough for them, poor chaps. Nvidia's twice as big in terms of capital and Intel's 30 times bigger.

I think the only thing stopping Intel/Nvidia from buying AMD/ATI is an anti-trust lawsuit. and nintendo uses ati for the wii and used to for the gamecube and uses amd for the ds lite uses nvidia for dsi dsixl and 3ds but the big nintendo can make gpus but is lazy like apple the g15 a keybord uses ati mircosoft uses there own gpu

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
[citation][nom]fazers_on_stun[/nom]Yeah - the article is old news by now and has been discussed in several threads, but I agree - esp. the fact that AMD couldn't promise enough of the high-end Llano's due to yield problems with GF, has cost them a potentially pretty lucrative deal with Apple. According to some other rumors, AMD is pulling their 28nm production (Brazos updates anyway) from GF and going with TSMC. I dunno if the Southern Islands (AMD 7xxx GPUs) are affected or not, but if I were Rory Read, I'd pull those from GF as well, seeing as how some reports show TSMC's 28nm process to be around 45% higher performance than their 40nm process. I think AMD already knew this some time ago, and is one of the reasons for the recent 10% workforce layoffs. If they stay with GF as their fab, they're probably going to get in even more difficulty. So, time to pull the plug..[/citation]
I will be pissed to..

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jimmy-bee[/nom]Lots of haters, price a Sony Vio or another comparable computer to a Mac and you will surprised that your bias is unwarranted.[/citation]
am i wrong or are you comparing a laptop to a similarly priced desktop? I mean if they are at all, not saying i checked.

[citation][nom]rpp[/nom]but macs rock i hate windows but why bother?Macs cant run gamesi have a big windows 7 gameing rig but you jmmy-bee dont understand its apple that can make gpus but is lazy and does not steve jobs said apple will make gpus in 2010 but apple still does not make gpus .sad times for AMD...and it's tough for them, poor chaps. Nvidia's twice as big in terms of capital and Intel's 30 times bigger.I think the only thing stopping Intel/Nvidia from buying AMD/ATI is an anti-trust lawsuit. and nintendo uses ati for the wii and used to for the gamecube and uses amd for the ds lite uses nvidia for dsi dsixl and 3ds but the big nintendo can make gpus but is lazy like apple the g15 a keybord uses ati mircosoft uses there own gpu[/citation]

I'm sorry, What?

Apple will always choose the perceived winner in the pro markets for their products no matter their performance. AMD had a strong name just a year ago on their GPU and APU lines, and so they were willing to work with them. After the bad press of bulldozer (whether true or not), AMD will now be ejected from apple products because they are afraid that their elitist customers may think twice about buying something with an AMD label on it. OS-X may not even be susceptible to the issues of bulldozer (as Win8 supposedly isn't), but the media says AMD=fail, and that is all that apple customers are going to care about.

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Apple will always choose the perceived winner in the pro markets for their products no matter their performance. AMD had a strong name just a year ago on their GPU and APU lines, and so they were willing to work with them. After the bad press of bulldozer (whether true or not), AMD will now be ejected from apple products because they are afraid that their elitist customers may think twice about buying something with an AMD label on it. OS-X may not even be susceptible to the issues of bulldozer (as Win8 supposedly isn't), but the media says AMD=fail, and that is all that apple customers are going to care about.[/citation]

you could throw an old matrox or S3 video card in the apple macbooks and the apple sheep will still pay thousands of bucks for it

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Apple will always choose the perceived winner in the pro markets for their products no matter their performance. AMD had a strong name just a year ago on their GPU and APU lines, and so they were willing to work with them. After the bad press of bulldozer (whether true or not), AMD will now be ejected from apple products because they are afraid that their elitist customers may think twice about buying something with an AMD label on it. OS-X may not even be susceptible to the issues of bulldozer (as Win8 supposedly isn't), but the media says AMD=fail, and that is all that apple customers are going to care about.[/citation]
because the apple zombies got rotten brain......

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]Bad news for AMD. When the change does happen it might be worth getting some stocks with them, they are due another share price rise 2015-2020 (had a peak in 1995, then again in 2005).[/citation]

Yes, because arbitrary cycles are really the key to buying stock, not the actual performance of the company in execution and technology. It's just automatic, 2015 will work, because AMD is doing good with "5s".

Makes you wonder why they even bother with the other, unimportant stuff.

[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Yes, because arbitrary cycles are really the key to buying stock, not the actual performance of the company in execution and technology. It's just automatic, 2015 will work, because AMD is doing good with "5s". Makes you wonder why they even bother with the other, unimportant stuff.[/citation]

i wonder too. they admitted defeat in the mhz race a few years ago and changed there nameing scheme for there CPUs to show that, the phenom CPU was a big mess out of the gate and now the same thing is happening to the bulldozer. OH! im sorry we will have to wait for a new OS to truly see how BD performs. soory fanbois

face it the only success AMD has now is because of ATI. while there dollar store CPUs continue to decline

FAIL

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]i wonder too. they admitted defeat in the mhz race a few years ago and changed there nameing scheme for there CPUs to show that, the phenom CPU was a big mess out of the gate and now the same thing is happening to the bulldozer. OH! im sorry we will have to wait for a new OS to truly see how BD performs. soory fanboisface it the only success AMD has now is because of ATI. while there dollar store CPUs continue to declineFAIL[/citation]You're making a big fanboy out of yourself. Why the hate? Can you prove that BD will perform the same with a new OS capable of addressing it's threads efficiently unlike W7? You hate because is fun or because you can?

[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]You're making a big fanboy out of yourself. Why the hate? Can you prove that BD will perform the same with a new OS capable of addressing it's threads efficiently unlike W7? You hate because is fun or because you can?[/citation]

well AMD is making it really easy :) all i was doing is calling that dud out. intel has had its problems in the past too. and what is the point in releasing a CPU when it doesn't even have peak performance with current software?

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Yes, because arbitrary cycles are really the key to buying stock, not the actual performance of the company in execution and technology. It's just automatic, 2015 will work, because AMD is doing good with "5s". Makes you wonder why they even bother with the other, unimportant stuff.[/citation]

Not saying that it's every 5 at all, but by the looks of their history, AMD will work on a large development plan for an extended length of time before it starts to pay off. They have done this multiple times in the past (look at their change in marketing, market share and the products they release during those periods and you'll have an idea of what i'm talking about).

The reason you CAN invest on the stock market and you CAN make money off it, is because business plans are there with the same goal and executed only slightly differently to each other in the same market sector. Heck, look at most share prices in the tech industry and you'll see the same pattern - money has to be invested before they get the rewards, thus the up and down.

Status
Not open for further replies.