Rumor: Apple Working on iPad Mini with Retina Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
It was pretty widely known that the second iPad mini is going to be retina.

What Apple really needs to do is basically have a new product that is like the Air (8GB of Ram, minimum 128GB space) when you remove the screen it turns into an iPad, when you dock it, is uses OS X and is like a regular laptop.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]It was pretty widely known that the second iPad mini is going to be retina.What Apple really needs to do is basically have a new product that is like the Air (8GB of Ram, minimum 128GB space) when you remove the screen it turns into an iPad, when you dock it, is uses OS X and is like a regular laptop.[/citation]

In other words.... the ASUS TF7700 Infinity or the Microsoft Surface Tablet....

curiosul

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]It was pretty widely known that the second iPad mini is going to be retina.What Apple really needs to do is basically have a new product that is like the Air (8GB of Ram, minimum 128GB space) when you remove the screen it turns into an iPad, when you dock it, is uses OS X and is like a regular laptop.[/citation]

Let me rephrase that for you:

It was pretty widely known that the second iPad mini will have to keep up with the competition (being left behind by almost any 7" tablet).

What Apple really needs to do is basically have a product that rips off Asus and Microsoft (and maybe others by the time it comes out) and then sue everyone for copying.

faust_67

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Wow, those who bought the iPad mini must be happy that a better product comes out a few months later?.... Well, actually they will be very happy to shell their money to Apple.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]dauntekong[/nom]In other words.... the ASUS TF7700 Infinity or the Microsoft Surface Tablet....[/citation]

No, none of them are 8GB of RAM, minor point.
Big point is swapping between iOS and OS X.

So its truly an iPad and an Air.

No one really cares for the Surface RT and the PRO are way overpriced for what they're offering.

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I love their marketing. Will an iPad mini sell.. yep, okay now time to release the actual product with the high res.. err I mean retina display.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Ok guys once this ipad mini 2 is out, let's release ipad mini 3, next gen ipad with slightly more power, a little better camera, same battrery, and of course our new lightning connector 2 that is totally not backward compatible. Starts at $399. It'll sell. It's magic. It's Apple.

G

I remember an article that "rumored" this was going to happen before the gen 1 was even released. The problem now with Apple is that the one last thing is not exciting any more. And the releases of their products are still based on that big moment concept. So, Apple needs a little marketing tweek to move on successfully.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Like no one saw this coming... You know they did that on purpose. They need a reason to come out with a 2nd within a year. Smart people know not to buy anything 1st gen.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]curiosul[/nom]Let me rephrase that for you:It was pretty widely known that the second iPad mini will have to keep up with the competition (being left behind by almost any 7" tablet).What Apple really needs to do is basically have a product that rips off Asus and Microsoft (and maybe others by the time it comes out) and then sue everyone for copying.[/citation]

Funny how you say Apple should rip off Microsoft, when Microsoft has been widely know to copy everything Apple has done since the 80's...

Just Microsoft took over the OS battle through their licensing which is what Android is doing.

Notice how Microsoft with the Surface RT tried to copy Apple every step of the way?

1. Come out with a Finger touch device with their brand
2. Create a Microsoft App store for mobile and desktop
3. Create physical Microsoft stores that look identical to Apple stores

the list goes on, no one wants their overpriced product, hence why sales have been revised from 4 million to a possible 700K-1.3M

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]No, none of them are 8GB of RAM, minor point.Big point is swapping between iOS and OS X.So its truly an iPad and an Air.No one really cares for the Surface RT and the PRO are way overpriced for what they're offering.[/citation]

Your 8GB of ram is meaningless when the rest of the hardware are slow and worthless... your storage space is limited and can not be expand. Your iOS is locked to what Apple wants you to use. your unit is way over price for technology that is so-called new (2+ years old)

Your statement is clearly a blind in the eye. Androids and Windows are the perfect example of what you wish apple can do.

ASUS Padfone goes from Phone to tablet to laptop and to tv in "3D" and their so does their ASUS TF700. Microsoft goes from tablet to laptop with just a switch of the dock. and last and over killing apple.... Samsung Galaxy Note II goes from Phone to tablet to laptop to desktop to TV.

Something Apple needs to learn...

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]dauntekong[/nom]Your 8GB of ram is meaningless when the rest of the hardware are slow and worthless... your storage space is limited and can not be expand. Your iOS is locked to what Apple wants you to use. your unit is way over price for technology that is so-called new (2+ years old)Your statement is clearly a blind in the eye. Androids and Windows are the perfect example of what you wish apple can do. ASUS Padfone goes from Phone to tablet to laptop and to tv in "3D" and their so does their ASUS TF700. Microsoft goes from tablet to laptop with just a switch of the dock. and last and over killing apple.... Samsung Galaxy Note II goes from Phone to tablet to laptop to desktop to TV.Something Apple needs to learn...[/citation]

There is no product out there that does what I am saying, Android, Apple, Windows.

All windows PRO tablets are 4GB, at best are 1920p.

A Note II is a tablet? What are you smoking? Its a Laptop too?

Wow, do you even know what a tablet, laptop are? LOL clearly not when you think a Note II can become those.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Hmm, though i personally would currently buy the Nexus 7, for my family, who are already heavily vested in the Apple ecosystem with their ipods and such, this is a welcome move. Also, i look smart because i told them to wait for the second generation mini as it will undoubtedly be better looking. :) Here's to the future of better toys :D

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]What Apple really needs to do is basically have a new product that is like the Air (8GB of Ram, minimum 128GB space) when you remove the screen it turns into an iPad, when you dock it, is uses OS X and is like a regular laptop.[/citation]

You mean something like Ubuntu for Android. [1]
As soon as the hardware is capable to do so it will happen. That is why MS is pushing Windows 8. I would say at this moment W8 is more beta product, just like Apple's integration between iOS and OS X.
This is not a new idea ... everyone is working on it. Just because companies like Asus don't meet your arbitrary spec sheet, don't dismiss their achievements and worship Apple.

[1] www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]There is no product out there that does what I am saying, Android, Apple, Windows.All windows PRO tablets are 4GB, at best are 1920p.A Note II is a tablet? What are you smoking? Its a Laptop too?Wow, do you even know what a tablet, laptop are? LOL clearly not when you think a Note II can become those.[/citation]

You have a lack of knowledge "Simpleton" when it comes to hands on usage. You need to explore more out there to see pass Apple's view. You're too lock into their misconception of Apple technology.

You're always comparing to the Mac Air which is Apple's EPIC failed devices. Ultrabook tops their Air and does not have overheating failure rates like all Macbook, Pros and Air.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]SAL-e[/nom]You mean something like Ubuntu for Android. [1]As soon as the hardware is capable to do so it will happen. That is why MS is pushing Windows 8. I would say at this moment W8 is more beta product, just like Apple's integration between iOS and OS X.This is not a new idea ... everyone is working on it. Just because companies like Asus don't meet your arbitrary spec sheet, don't dismiss their achievements and worship Apple.[1] www.ubuntu.com/devices/android[/citation]

LOL you think the masses will want to use Ubuntu on their laptop / desktop? Are you serious?

Its not an arbitrary spec sheet I'm looking for, that's all hardware-egg heads do. They look at a new smartphone and starting looking just at the CPU and RAM, not realizing the UI, Updates, Customer Service, Apps, integration of OS with hardware is equally important.

The Asus product you mention sucks hence why no one wants to buy it.

Reminds me of an XP tablet back in 2002-2004 times, pieces of crap no one wanted. You need to build a product outside of specs for eggheads and provide a full user experience enough hardware to meet the needs.

Having a "Pro" tablet that is 4GB ain't too "Pro" to me. Or having amazing thin ultrabooks even thinner than Airs (Acer Aspire S3) but not allowing for more than 4GB of ram shows incompetence because even Apple offers 8GB models if someone desires it.

W8 tablets don't know what they are. Are they the hundreds of millions of dollars advertising campaign of Microsoft Surface that has bombed, or are they the new PRO coming out in 2013 that is overpriced.

Apple made ultrabooks that people wanted they existed before, no one cared for them. They were way overpriced, designed poorly and pushed no units. After Apple's push into ultrabooks now we've seen PC manufacturers start to push better products. Same would be true with the iPad -> Air combo, nothing out there can match that if they could succeed with it.

I don't use Apple for my work/personal computing only mobile. I have been trying day and night for 3 months to find a PC alternative for a friend that is 8GB, light as an Air, equivalent CPU, cheaper with good quality customer service if needed. The hunt is till on...

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Of course the next ipad mini they release will have a retina display. Apple intentionally did not design a retina display into the first ipad mini to ensure they'd have a next-gen device that customers would actually see value in upgrading too. (now that I've read through the entire article, I guess they as much said that at the end...)

It's like Rumor: Next Apple device to have the Apple logo!

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]LOL you think the masses will want to use Ubuntu on their laptop / desktop? Are you serious? ...[/citation]
I see that you didn't even bother to read what Ubuntu for Android is. Instead, you turn on the auto-reply and asked stupid question. The facts that I have a teenager who prefers Ubuntu over Windows on her desktop and I have elderly couple who switched from Vista to Ubuntu and love it, I would ask you back: "Why not?"
Do you have any meaningful reply without using marketing buzz words like: "User experience, retina display, PRO, slick or thin (because extra 1mm will make any difference) and etc."?

I know that Ubuntu has its problems, but most of them are related to execution not of lack of fresh ideas. And based on current progress looks like Canonical is learning fast. So, may be today Ubuntu on your laptop seems impossible idea don't be surprised if it happens. If this doesn't happen is simply because they have failed, not because it is not possible.
And even if they die, their ideas will live on.

ps. News flash, masses don't use OS X.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
[citation][nom]SAL-e[/nom]I see that you didn't even bother to read what Ubuntu for Android is. Instead, you turn on the auto-reply and asked stupid question. The facts that I have a teenager who prefers Ubuntu over Windows on her desktop and I have elderly couple who switched from Vista to Ubuntu and love it, I would ask you back: "Why not?"Do you have any meaningful reply without using marketing buzz words like: "User experience, retina display, PRO, slick or thin (because extra 1mm will make any difference) and etc."?I know that Ubuntu has its problems, but most of them are related to execution not of lack of fresh ideas. And based on current progress looks like Canonical is learning fast. So, may be today Ubuntu on your laptop seems impossible idea don't be surprised if it happens. If this doesn't happen is simply because they have failed, not because it is not possible. And even if they die, their ideas will live on.ps. News flash, masses don't use OS X.[/citation]

Correct.
Windows are 60%-70% world wide (teens, college students, common free people)
Linux are 30-40% world wide (Techs, servers, major corporation, HACKERS)

OSX are 20%-30% world wide (Kids and special need people)

Apple will call whatever PPI they want a "retina" and their customers will swallow it whole. If you look at their "retina" in existence, the PPI is all over the place. There are plenty of other devices out there that have a comparable PPI (Nexus 7 comes to mind, among others), but gullible people will always go for the terminology and pretend their new toy is better because it has that "retina" thing attached to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.