Rumor: Cortana Will Be Integrated into Windows 9 (Of Course)

Status
Not open for further replies.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Loving the direction of Windows! Hands down, it's pretty awesome.
Sure, they're adjusting to HOW they need to do it, which people have voiced, but overall, still a better OS for people who want to do more than cruise the net, play angry birds, and record home videos... heh

Of course Apple tries to play catch up by putting Siri on OSX and trying to get a patent for it. (there's been other versions pre-siri, they shouldn't be able to get a patent)

Let alone it doesn't matter unless Siri can match the extensibility

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Something else I hope is an optional install in the custom install mode... Something else I have no interest in on my desktop.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I just don't want Cortana garbage on my Desktop PC. If Microsoft makes it optional fine, if not it is just another OS to skip.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
If I can make my desktop not look like a mad house gone wrong with ugly tiles, 9 might be interesting (esp if they keep with their typical cycle), but I want to see how it goes first, I wasn't impressed with 8, it has nothing I need in it.

9 better have excellent compatibility (critical point), some better customization (though that can be done 3rd party if needed) and let me shut Cortana up, I might try it, cortana does sound interesting, but since I'd bet if they bring any of their 1st party titles to PC, it will be locked to 9 and DX12, it might be worth it. MAYBE.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
What is this? Do they want you to talk to your computer to get something done? On desktop? Like working in an open office landscape isn't bad enough already!

Nov 30, 2013
I bought a Win 8 Laptop. I didn't register it. It didn't register with me. I brought it back for a full refund. It's hard to see how Microsoft does not get the idea of "Different strokes for different folks". Just think about it: Software, yes, SOFTware got it's name because it was, is, and should be forever pliable, adaptable, moldable, configurable in grillions of different shapes, forms, colors, configurations, ideas, purposes.... etc,
and YET, Microsoft acts as if there is only ONE MICROSOFT WAY, and it PURPOSELY makes it AS DIFFICULT AS POSSIBLE for the user to have any input, any say, any preference, ANY VOICE AT ALL. If you don't believe me, then just try to deal with the "Microsoft Account Team", the "Microsoft Global Escalation Team" and any of the other "teams" behind which Microsoft hides. Yes, even if one honestly tries to give reasonable suggestions for improvement - it's all for naught. Apart from that, I do not know Cortana, but if it is a "voice-activated artificial intelligence system", I will most likely not be able to use it, because all these systems DO NOT understand ANYONE with a FOREIGN ACCENT or ANYONE who has a STUFFY NOSE or a SORE THROAT. Various banks and other institutions have these systems, and when they ask me to say YES, I say YES, and they say "Sorry, I didn't get that". It works the same way with NO, they say "Sorry I didn't get that".

So, overall, having suffered with MSFT products for almost 30 years, I know that whenever they come out with something new, it will take sometime between 3 to 5 years to get fixed. According to Avast OS statistics, among PC users, 61% use Windows 7, 27% use Win XP, 6% Vista and 6% Win 8. Why? I think it's because Win 7 and XP are fairly stable, while Vista and especially Win 8 were an insult to any consumer who wants value for their money, i.e. something that works.

sicom

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
That's great. Fairly recently I was asking myself, "why can't I talk to my PC in the same way that I talk to my phone?" in a moment where it would have actually been very convenient.

Ever since seeing the commercials for the windows phone with Cortana, i've been thinking Microsoft is trying to apeal to their most loyal and devoted fanbase.

The Halo Fanboys.

I think it's an interesting idea at least.

The problem is if in later stages, i'm play a game and throwing a barrage of curse words at it, I don't want Cortana coming up and saying "It looks like you're writing a letter. Need help?"

Nuckles_56

Admirable
I bought a Win 8 Laptop. I didn't register it. It didn't register with me. I brought it back for a full refund. It's hard to see how Microsoft does not get the idea of "Different strokes for different folks". Just think about it: Software, yes, SOFTware got it's name because it was, is, and should be forever pliable, adaptable, moldable, configurable in grillions of different shapes, forms, colors, configurations, ideas, purposes.... etc,
and YET, Microsoft acts as if there is only ONE MICROSOFT WAY, and it PURPOSELY makes it AS DIFFICULT AS POSSIBLE for the user to have any input, any say, any preference, ANY VOICE AT ALL. If you don't believe me, then just try to deal with the "Microsoft Account Team", the "Microsoft Global Escalation Team" and any of the other "teams" behind which Microsoft hides. Yes, even if one honestly tries to give reasonable suggestions for improvement - it's all for naught. Apart from that, I do not know Cortana, but if it is a "voice-activated artificial intelligence system", I will most likely not be able to use it, because all these systems DO NOT understand ANYONE with a FOREIGN ACCENT or ANYONE who has a STUFFY NOSE or a SORE THROAT. Various banks and other institutions have these systems, and when they ask me to say YES, I say YES, and they say "Sorry, I didn't get that". It works the same way with NO, they say "Sorry I didn't get that".

So, overall, having suffered with MSFT products for almost 30 years, I know that whenever they come out with something new, it will take sometime between 3 to 5 years to get fixed. According to Avast OS statistics, among PC users, 61% use Windows 7, 27% use Win XP, 6% Vista and 6% Win 8. Why? I think it's because Win 7 and XP are fairly stable, while Vista and especially Win 8 were an insult to any consumer who wants value for their money, i.e. something that works.

Time to go and buy another mac then, especially if you have been suffering through microsoft products for the LAST 30 YEARS.

Besides, do you think that you get any more choice with apple products, ok good I didn't think so

thunderlord

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Man... I really really REALLY wish all these new features would be "add ons" and could be selected for install before actually putting anything in your PC.

Cheers!

no kidding, but if win 9 might be free. i think to get a full vs of this u might have to pay them. think of it like the free to play vruis games out there. (i rather buy the full copy) i think win9 might try to do the same thing

Windows in charge of a futuristic home.
me: Kortana, make me a sandwich!

Me: Kortana go get me beer now b (xD)

axehead15

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
I like this idea, but I hope if they do this it actually has a virtual version of Cortana that is animated. Like the Adjutant in Starcraft. Make it seem more like a smart AI than a tool.

Delire Web

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
Cool, but I would prefer if we could have the choice of the character from a selection if not customized. I think that this pseudo lady could get on my nerves in the long run... In the mean time and IMOC (in my own context), well structured reference manuals are a more proficient way to learn, than listen at the pace of some communist-like uniquely-molded virtual character to fit all (instead of my own personal pace). One example : we read much faster than we listen...

Status
Not open for further replies.