Rumor: Foxconn May Establish Factories in USA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Last time I checked the USA has no current capacity to build any of this stuff anymore. But it is good news if it is true.[/citation]
There are manufacturing plants all over America. I live in freakin' South Dakota and we have an electronics manufacturing plant. Motherboards, pc equipment ect. The pay is that super wonderful, minimum wage.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
I had the impression that President Abraham Lincoln freed slaves in 1863, so how on earth Foxconn will find 'workers' for their 'factories'?

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
This really doesn't make sense. Why would they bother to do this? In China they can pay people less than $5k per year for the same job (I think their wage is around ~$4.5k per year). I don't see why they'd do this unless they want to lose money. Maybe they're unable to get people to work, but even then they could go to many other countries.

[citation][nom]jojesa[/nom]I will pay more, if necessary, for USA made phone, tablets, laptops, etc.[/citation]

Ok then. People want cheaper products all the time. Increasing the wages of the workers by about 10x will increase the product price quite a bit. For example a quick bit of googling has revealed this:
http://gizmodo.com/5944446/the-iphone-5-costs-8-more-to-build-than-it-does-to-buy
http://img.gawkerassets.com/post/4/2012/09/screen_shot_2012-09-19_at_1.07.26_am.png

$8 manufacturing cost. Now, not all of that would be down to the worker, so let's assume it's $5. 10x that would mean $50, would you be willing to pay that much more? Are you seriously going to pay an extra $45 for the product? I sure as hell aren't. If you can't compete with these countries in manufacturing (which the US can't) then you outsource. Simple. You aren't owed anything. They don't owe you anything. Match them, beat them or stfu, that's the glory of capitalism.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
They must not be familiar with US manufacturing. Only the worst businessmen build factories in Detroit and Los Angeles today. With trade unions being so costly, and the cost to do business in Michigan and California. It makes more sense to say screw it and build in a right to work state.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
wow , lot of union hate here. union arn't all bad they did (in most industries) serve the function of protecting their member's from abussive corperations. I think most you guys grew up to much listening to wal mart (who has campaigned against unions no stop). and republicians that don't give a damn about people's welfair. Granted some unions get abussive with fees, most union fees pays for the lawers that defend's worker's rights.

Trust me though THE LAST THING any real american would want to see happen is the disapperance of unions. if all unions did disappear corperations would get far more abussive than they ever been.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Seeing how I went from an unrewarding job in IT, I am happy working now 2 part time jobs instead, one as a grocery packer, maintenance clerk, and the other, is senior residence door watch. I am very happy at these part time jobs, I feel more rewarded, to make people smile at the simplest of deeds, and I would take that Foxconn parttime job in a heartbeat, just to try it out. But only part time, and the second I will dislike it, I will walk away still smiling. BTW, to those of you wondering what the hell is going on, in case you didn't know, the Asians that make EVERYTHING you use today, have single-handedly hi-jacked your capitalistic nation, already YEARS ago. Enjoy!

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
[citation][nom]cobra5000[/nom]There are manufacturing plants all over America. I live in freakin' South Dakota and we have an electronics manufacturing plant. Motherboards, pc equipment ect. The pay is that super wonderful, minimum wage.[/citation]
And this is why I would personally never put a manufacturing plant in the US. Piss poor attitude, how many Americans are without a job and when one like this becomes available you piss and moan about pay. My uncle owns two manufacturing plants in Mexico and was inquiring building one up here then he read comments like this and even the US financial adviser he hired told him it was a bad idea. He was more than willing to pay appropriate pay (more than minimum wage as the job would require EE degree at least) but the American blue collar attitude freaking sucks. Its a job that will provide food for your family and help pay bills, get off your high horse, the rest of the world has.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]Im in school for "Aviation Maintenance Technician" and let me tell you the paying wage straight out of college on average is between 90K to 110K a year. Its a hard program, but 2 years of college to earn that? I think your classmates are right. College can lead to a fulfilling and high paying career.[/citation]

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics [bls.gov] the average is more like $55k... At a job with a $55k average would starting out likely be more like $35-40k?

They also have the projected growth rate at 6% vs a 14% average for all job types, so higher than average chance of there being new/few job available when you are ready.

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/installation-maintenance-and-repair/aircraft-and-avionics-equipment-mechanics-and-technicians.htm

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]And this is why I would personally never put a manufacturing plant in the US. Piss poor attitude, how many Americans are without a job and when one like this becomes available you piss and moan about pay. My uncle owns two manufacturing plants in Mexico and was inquiring building one up here then he read comments like this and even the US financial adviser he hired told him it was a bad idea. He was more than willing to pay appropriate pay (more than minimum wage as the job would require EE degree at least) but the American blue collar attitude freaking sucks. Its a job that will provide food for your family and help pay bills, get off your high horse, the rest of the world has.[/citation]

Exactly. "Oh my god I need a job! Please, anything! Wait no not that one it's not what I want to do. No not that either it doesn't pay enough." Etc. People are lazy, have a terrible attitude, aren't motivated, are much more expensive and will probably have a high turnover compared to China or immigrants (whether legal or illegal) for example, then they have the audacity to moan about it like they're owed something.

manny_bones

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Lots of Americans are willing to work for a fair wage but it's when the leach unions move in (siphon off millions in union dues and fees) then demand $40 an hour with full benefits and tons of paid vacation time for someone sitting there twisting screws into a plate, that ruins it for sure and one of the reasons so many companies have left the USA. No company in it's right mind would not put up with that. Over the top government regulations from the EPA to OSHA and over the top (was the highest, maybe second now) tax rate in the world. 3 of the main strikes saying to any business that it isn't worth it to manufacture in the USA any more.[/citation]

My brother-in-law works for a union sheetmetal shop (hates it, by the way). I don't think he makes anywhere near $40 an hour but it's a good wage. The downside is that many days the shop doesn't have work available for him so they send him home with effectively only that one hour's pay. About the only benefit is that his job is guaranteed and his hourly wage is relatively high (higher than my professional hourly rate). He gets no vacation, and no health coverage. This is obviously not the deal big unions like UAW or teamsters get, but it is very typical for trade unions like electrical, carpenters, pipefitters (heheh*snigger*), etc.

G

Why do you guys think that having Chinese factories in the US means the US is becoming a 3rd world country? There was a time (I'm close to 50 years old) when I heard the same rhetoric about Japan and our auto industry. We were told to only buy American cars (which were more expensive, crappy and unreliable) to support America. Luckily consumers did not heed this advice. The end result was some American car companies did go under. The ones that survived are now producing much higher quality cars. And many Japanese car companies have opened more modern factories in the US that provide good jobs with the result that buying a Japanese car is more likely to have been produced in the US than buying an American car.

As for low paying Chinese wages, you have to realize that this depends on the location. These wages might seem low to you but for the typical Chinese peasant worker from the country side, it's actually very good (otherwise they would have problems hiring people). Another example, 75K/year would be very good in someplace like West Virginia but might not be okay in New York City.

As the living standards improve, workers typically will want higher wages. This is what is happening in China. Soon, their wages will go up and we will begin to become competitive again (since it might be cheaper to produce stuff here where they can avoid shipping costs). The wages US factories will offer will have to be more than wages offered in China because our cost of living is much higher here.

greg7683

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]cobra5000[/nom]There are manufacturing plants all over America. I live in freakin' South Dakota and we have an electronics manufacturing plant. Motherboards, pc equipment ect. The pay is that super wonderful, minimum wage.[/citation]

lol its people like you that ruin a community grammar means nothing on the internet bud. And for my job I don't need to have good grammar. But there was no need to call people names that is what you are doing.

greg7683

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]cobra5000[/nom]Greg, you have a job? Considering that you do not know how to use a full stop or period (that dot that people put at the end of each sentence), I am not surprised they are paying you the same amount of money as someone working at Burger King.[/citation]

lol its people like you that ruin a community grammar means nothing on the internet bud. And for my job I don't need to have good grammar. But there was no need to call people names that is what you are doing.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Using good grammar, punctuation, capitalization and spelling, even in an informal setting like an internet message board, certainly helps readability.

And honestly, a person presenting himself well in these regards has far more credibility, in my opinion, than someone who doesn't. Assuming I'm not the only person who feels this way- if you want your post to carry any weight, at least make an attempt at a readable post. If not, then why bother posting?

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
BTW-- I'm not disagreeing with you.

Cobra5000's post wasn't necessary, after all it is still a free country [that may loosely depend on which country you are writing from, I guess :)].

Typically, when I see a post in a thread with a lack of punctuation, capitalization, spell check, etc, I just ignore and go to the next, post.

While I agree that the couple extra seconds to fix those things [or do them right the first time] is worthwhile, I'm not going to resort to name-calling and being condescending over it.

greg7683

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]Using good grammar, punctuation, capitalization and spelling, even in an informal setting like an internet message board, certainly helps readability. And honestly, a person presenting himself well in these regards has far more credibility, in my opinion, than someone who doesn't. Assuming I'm not the only person who feels this way- if you want your post to carry any weight, at least make an attempt at a readable post. If not, then why bother posting?[/citation]

HAHA if you can't read that post I feel sorry for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.