Rumor: Intel Discontinuing Over 25 Desktop CPUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I am so sad. I invested in LGA 1156 because it was supposed to be the mainstream of LGA 1366 and in less than a year it got replaced by LGA 1155 and now all my CPUs are going off the market. DAMN YOU INTEL!

RealBeast

Titan
[citation][nom]srgess[/nom]I didnt know those cpu exist ! At some point they are useless there some cpu that is the best price /$ so why make one between a good one and a bad one if that price is only 20$ difference or so. Its like hard drive pricing before the flood, 59$ for 1TB and 69$ for 2TB and 129$ for 3TB. Why buy a 1TB when for 10$ you get twice.[/citation]

The excessive number of products is not driven by those around here, but by the big OEMs. The OEMs want to have a wide array of products to confuse the average user that knows very little.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]TheMaristBoy[/nom]Makes me and my Core 2 Duo E7500 feel old and outdated -___-[/citation]
Welcome to the Club. I'm relying on a Pentium 4 Willamette computer because my laptop needs repair. And it's slow as snails.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
every two weeks when i get my paycheck, $100 is going into savings account for the new PC fund.
im building "Internet ready computers" and selling them, that money is also going into the savings fund.. im thinking when Intel finally releases ivy bridge i'l weigh my choices and decide what im getting.. this might be the first time i ever go Intel for my main system build.

juuh77

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]TeraMedia[/nom]@JohnA:How will an FX beat an i5? If you O/C, the 2500K continues to be a nearly unbeatable value. If you can get an 1155 MoBo that supports IB, then you will have a strong-performing platform that will likely out-do most of AMD's best for at least the next year, as well as a near-term upgrade path to IB that will probably out-do AMD for the next 2 years. You don't need to upgrade the CPU (and go through the hassle of doing so) if your CPU is already sufficient for your needs (and better than most AMD CPUs you could get, anyway).I'm not an Intel fan. I have both architectures in-house. But AMD is making it difficult to recommend their CPUs for anything but the most budget-oriented of builds. But don't take my word for it. Check out the most recent 2 SBM series for a more complete picture.[/citation]

True that. Case in point the I7 920 came on shelf at 199.99 and stayed at that price till Intel killed it. they then priced the 930 the same way and all the current sandybridge chips are lower then msrp. even with tax its still cheaper to buy your intel cpu's in store. that being said 90% of all the rest of the hardware is 30% higher in cost then msrp.

userngalan

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
don't worry guys. after this cleaning session of intel. and if your old processor has been damage under your warranty. they will give you sandybridge mobo and processor in exchange..

[citation][nom]AstroTC[/nom]Personally I hate the new naming scheme for Intel and AMD[/citation]The new naming scheme is better than the Core 2 Duo/Pentium Dual Core era when they just said "EXX00" for everything. At least the numbers are different enough now so I can remember what line they're on.

But AMD's taken a big step back from the simple transparent naming scheme in the K10 series.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]JohnA[/nom]I'm building a new PC next month, and I've looked hard at going with Intel this time. I'm having second thoughts, though. I built this one 5 years ago, AM2 with a single core Athlon 3500 when I built it. With a bios upgrade, I can still use every new processor in AMD's lineup, other than the FX. How many sockets has Intel gone through in that time? Upgrading has a very short future with Intel. I've saved a bunch of money not having to do the MB with the processor upgrades, and have done proc/video card upgrades for the same kind of money as a proc/mobo upgrade from Intel. The problem is right now an FX proc and mobo is in the same ballpark as an i5 and mobo, and would give me better performance in the SHORT term. But I have no doubt in a couple years the 1155 line wont offer any better choices than I have now. Tough call...[/citation]

I adore AMD for that reason. But, looking back, the 2008 Core i7 is still a powerhouse so, maybe the same thing will happen with the 2nd and 3rd generation of the core i CPUs. This might happen because Intel is no longer afraid that AMD might catch up as they're already two generations behind.

I'm still very sad about having to leave AMD but, what brought me to AMD was price/performance. Now I can't deny that Intel has better offerings and cutting prices on older CPUs and sacrificing IPC for "Integer Core Count" is not enough.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]If you know your stuff like I do, why are you going to a brick and mortar store to buy a CPU in the first place? Tigerdirect, newegg and NCIX. Store are for OEM retail computers.[/citation]
Apparently you dont have Fry's. What's wrong with a free motherboard with your CPU purchase? Brick and mortar stores arent dead, they just need to do a better job. Sometimes you just need something right away anyways like failed components.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]If you know your stuff like I do, why are you going to a brick and mortar store to buy a CPU in the first place? Tigerdirect, newegg and NCIX. Store are for OEM retail computers.[/citation]
because by the time your parts arrive his customer is already using their computer for 2 days.
also you don't have to worry about your hard disk package being dropped 8 feet off one conveyor belt to the next at each distribution center with usps ups fed ex.
also microcenter kicks new eggs/tigerdirect/nciz/pricewatch butts on prices of certain core components like cpus by $30-$50 consistently every day among a few other items microcenter will not ship cpus however so it forces you to go to the store.
i don't mind, the nearest microcenter for me is only 15-20 minutes away (traffic determines my route as it's only 12 miles away)
also you get to touch and feel and see or use most products on display, for things like cases and cpu coolers, digital cameras, speakers,mp3 players any gaming device - pc and console that is a huge deal. also alot of the new games are demo'd on mid range to optimal rig configurations you can walk up to and try them out and monkey around with the settings to get an idea of what you need to be able to play those games as well as how great those games are to play and that is 1/8th of the store devoted to a gaming area, the monitor/tv/display area practically everything is plugged in and playing stuff like movies, sports or games you can compare everything and see how well it is, just like sears/best buy/walmart except some of it is set up just for you to play with.
most items are only a couple dollars more to $50 (27"+monitors) more then newegg anyways and they always have the same rebates the e-tailers do and they will pricematch and beat any e-tailer's current price specifically newegg/tigerdirect.
they also offer assembly and testing for a nominal fee, you just have to buy the parts and they slap it together and even over clock it for you if you so opt. so even your grandmother can come out with a fully optimized rig and not know a thing about computers.
returning merchandize is also faster then waiting a couple days and replacement means not waiting a week and for less gas money then the price of all that shipping if you live within 100 miles.
that's a hard thing to beat.
in fact i would even be willing to talk to a microcenter manager just for chris angelini for their toms http://www.tomshardware.com/system-configuration-recommendation-51.html section test rigs that you can recommend to your friends and family online and they can go get if they live near this up and growing chain store for the questions he's answered for me.
one thing that i hate about this store is that 1/4 of the store near me is devoted to iCrapple products.
staff is usually short handed except for peak buying hours but almost every one of these people is smarter then geek squadies, but then again i am in minneapolis, home of the original geek squad and these guys are probably either the founding geek squaddies kids or little brothers and sisters, point is the sales people know their stuff and have no problem showing you how everything works and telling you how it works.
they aren't perfect tho, i tripped one salesman up (a shady ex circuit city salesman i knew) on a direct lie involving nvidias two 460's 768MB, 1GB models and starcraft2 benchmarks from toms trying to pass my friend off on the 768 model using the 1GB benched chart for his 27" monitor and his 46" tv playing starcraft2 among his many games. when i hotly contested the sales rep claim and the discrepancy in the chart and the models even the page (7 i believe it was) part of the chart they didn't print that pointed out the 192bit memory bus on the 768 mb model vs the 256bit bus on the 1GB model issue tom's pointed out between the performance differences and microcenters lack of the 1GB version which me and my friend came their to buy a pair each to sli. even the AMD rep at the store gave a chuckle ( yes actual reps show up at these stores for a week or weekend on product launches to talk to and train microcenters sales people).
i don't know about you but i've always got 2-7 customers a month who don't want to wait 3 days for me to get parts and test it for 24 hours just to save $100-$200 and i don't buy from microcenter enough to qualify for a mass system builder discount of 10%, just enough for the sales people to remember me before the new batch of sales people changes every year when they get their IT degrees.
also the in-store tech clinics are great for hand on learning software i do not use enough to be adequately familiar with.

starcore

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]because by the time your parts arrive his customer is already using their computer for 2 days.also you don't have to worry about your hard disk package being dropped 8 feet off one conveyor belt to the next at each distribution center with usps ups fed ex.also microcenter kicks new eggs/tigerdirect/nciz/pricewatch butts on prices of certain core components like cpus by $30-$50 consistently every day among a few other items microcenter will not ship cpus however so it forces you to go to the store. i don't mind, the nearest microcenter for me is only 15-20 minutes away (traffic determines my route as it's only 12 miles away)also you get to touch and feel and see or use most products on display, for things like cases and cpu coolers, digital cameras, speakers,mp3 players any gaming device - pc and console that is a huge deal. also alot of the new games are demo'd on mid range to optimal rig configurations you can walk up to and try them out and monkey around with the settings to get an idea of what you need to be able to play those games as well as how great those games are to play and that is 1/8th of the store devoted to a gaming area, the monitor/tv/display area practically everything is plugged in and playing stuff like movies, sports or games you can compare everything and see how well it is, just like sears/best buy/walmart except some of it is set up just for you to play with.most items are only a couple dollars more to $50 (27"+monitors) more then newegg anyways and they always have the same rebates the e-tailers do and they will pricematch and beat any e-tailer's current price specifically newegg/tigerdirect.they also offer assembly and testing for a nominal fee, you just have to buy the parts and they slap it together and even over clock it for you if you so opt. so even your grandmother can come out with a fully optimized rig and not know a thing about computers.returning merchandize is also faster then waiting a couple days and replacement means not waiting a week and for less gas money then the price of all that shipping if you live within 100 miles.that's a hard thing to beat.in fact i would even be willing to talk to a microcenter manager just for chris angelini for their toms http://www.tomshardware.com/system [...] on-51.html section test rigs that you can recommend to your friends and family online and they can go get if they live near this up and growing chain store for the questions he's answered for me.one thing that i hate about this store is that 1/4 of the store near me is devoted to iCrapple products.staff is usually short handed except for peak buying hours but almost every one of these people is smarter then geek squadies, but then again i am in minneapolis, home of the original geek squad and these guys are probably either the founding geek squaddies kids or little brothers and sisters, point is the sales people know their stuff and have no problem showing you how everything works and telling you how it works.they aren't perfect tho, i tripped one salesman up (a shady ex circuit city salesman i knew) on a direct lie involving nvidias two 460's 768MB, 1GB models and starcraft2 benchmarks from toms trying to pass my friend off on the 768 model using the 1GB benched chart for his 27" monitor and his 46" tv playing starcraft2 among his many games. when i hotly contested the sales rep claim and the discrepancy in the chart and the models even the page (7 i believe it was) part of the chart they didn't print that pointed out the 192bit memory bus on the 768 mb model vs the 256bit bus on the 1GB model issue tom's pointed out between the performance differences and microcenters lack of the 1GB version which me and my friend came their to buy a pair each to sli. even the AMD rep at the store gave a chuckle ( yes actual reps show up at these stores for a week or weekend on product launches to talk to and train microcenters sales people).i don't know about you but i've always got 2-7 customers a month who don't want to wait 3 days for me to get parts and test it for 24 hours just to save $100-$200 and i don't buy from microcenter enough to qualify for a mass system builder discount of 10%, just enough for the sales people to remember me before the new batch of sales people changes every year when they get their IT degrees.also the in-store tech clinics are great for hand on learning software i do not use enough to be adequately familiar with.[/citation]

You actually leave your house? Wow, you must be a day walker geek, those are rare. I am honored to know one.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
Have you ever been to a Micro Center? It's like a candy store for computer geeks. And just so you know none of those on-line places you mentioned can match some of the deals you can get at a Micro Center. And you get to get it right away.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
The economy is not great. When economy is not great. The R&D ain't going to be great.

We need voice activation on the PC already. I want it to be an alarm clock as well and come out of its sleep and wake me. I can talk to it like electric dreams.

Get the with program already.

Status
Not open for further replies.