Rumor: Macbooks to Feature Light Peak

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Besides Firewire, we have EFI firmware. EFI has been standard on all Mac's since 2006. Here we are, almost 2011 now, and the Peecee still uses legacy BIOS (one of the reasons you can't use a hard drive larger than 2 TB on a pc).[/citation]Even though most Peecees use BIOS not all of them do. For example HP first EFI computer was launched in 2000. Also the reason most PC manufacturers use BIOS instead of UEFI is because of legacy issues. The most common OS used this day (Windows XP) doesn't support UEFI. Only the 64 bit versions of XP, Vista and 7 support it.

[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Lets see, what else. Ethernet. All Mac's had Ethernet built-in to all their laptops starting in 1994. PC laptops couldn't use Ethernet unless you bought a PCMCIA expansion card.[/citation]Again not all PCs lacked ethernet. Only the cheaper ones.

[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Today we have aluminum unibody enclosures and glass trackpads, which no other manufacturer uses yet.[/citation]The aluminum unibody is only goo for one thing, looks. The i7 macbook pros suffer from serious overheating issues and because the unibody is part of the cooling system the outside temperature of the laptop reaches unmanageable temperatures. Something that plastic laptops don't.

[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]It's silly to discuss things like CPU's Memory, and GPU's, since these are commodity parts from Intel, AMD, and Nvidia, and when they appear in a vendor's product usually has more to do with that product's refresh cycle, than anything else.[/citation]So the CPU, GPU, Memory size/speed are not important. It's like saying I bought a race car that isn't the fastest, but that is irrelevant because it's better. Also the new mackbook air still uses a C2D, so there goes the theory of product refresh cycle.

[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Even so, Apple was the first and only manufacturer (by almost a year) to receive intel's Ultra Low Voltage CPU's as used in the Macbook Air and iMac. Also since Apple stuck with C2D for so long, intel made custom C2D chips just for Apple that have a faster 1066 Mhz FSB speed.[/citation]No macbook air isn't using a custom cpu and most low voltage c2d have 1066MHz FSB speed only the SU9000 series has a 800MHz FSB. The original macbook air did used a custom c2d but it wasn't even a ultra low voltage cpu and had 800MHz of FSB. And also the macbook air was not the first computer to use intel's ultra low voltage c2d.

[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]And sort of tied to the CPU, Apple was first with pure 64-bit desktop OS (Windows XP-64 was a 32/64 hybrid), and first to completely drop 32-bit OS's from the lineup, in favor of 64-bit only. (Microsoft STILL hasn't done this). Hmm, all I can think of off the top of my head.[/citation]What in the world are you smoking. The XP x86-64bit was not a hybrid 32/64bit OS. In fact most of the OS comes from the Windows XP for the Itanium that it's a full 64 bit OS and guess what, it was launched in 2002, two years before Apple. Also Microsoft and Linux still offer both versions because of legacy issues.

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]Light Peak proprietary interconnect.No available light peak devices.No optical drives.I don't really see this going over well.[/citation]

Everyone said the same thing about the floppy disk as well. And look where that got them.

Apple - Innovate, do not imitate.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]Anyone else notice how many people are claiming Apple was the first to abandon firewire? I was surprised so I went to Apple's site to see for myself. All models of the Mac Mini, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Pro have firewire 800 as standard. I guess many cutting edge Tom's users don't yet know what today's [backward compatible] FW800 ports look like. It's true, Apple stopped installing the now 10 year old FW400 ports found on many other computer brands long ago_Of course, in the world of online forums, everyone is an "expert."[/citation]
I own a MacBook and it doesn't have a firewire port.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]christopherknapp[/nom]Everyone said the same thing about the floppy disk as well. And look where that got them.Apple - Innovate, do not imitate.[/citation]
You do know that apple wasn't the first in providing a computer without a floppy drive, nor it was the first to provide a laptop without a optical drive.

G

@christopherknapp

i think you got that a bit wrong there my friend

Apple - Popularize, do not pioneer

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]lauxenburg[/nom]More "reasons" for Apple to overprice their stuff[/citation]
More reason for trolls to post irrelevant troll posts

G

Got excited when I read 10GB/s. Then I got really disappointed when I read somewhere else that it's 10Gb/s, not 10GB/s...

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]Besides Firewire, we have EFI firmware. EFI has been standard on all Mac's since 2006. Here we are, almost 2011 now, and the Peecee still uses legacy BIOS (one of the reasons you can't use a hard drive larger than 2 TB on a pc). Lets see, what else. Ethernet. All Mac's had Ethernet built-in to all their laptops starting in 1994. PC laptops couldn't use Ethernet unless you bought a PCMCIA expansion card. Today we have aluminum unibody enclosures and glass trackpads, which no other manufacturer uses yet. It's silly to discuss things like CPU's Memory, and GPU's, since these are commodity parts from Intel, AMD, and Nvidia, and when they appear in a vendor's product usually has more to do with that product's refresh cycle, than anything else. Even so, Apple was the first and only manufacturer (by almost a year) to receive intel's Ultra Low Voltage CPU's as used in the Macbook Air and iMac. Also since Apple stuck with C2D for so long, intel made custom C2D chips just for Apple that have a faster 1066 Mhz FSB speed.And sort of tied to the CPU, Apple was first with pure 64-bit desktop OS (Windows XP-64 was a 32/64 hybrid), and first to completely drop 32-bit OS's from the lineup, in favor of 64-bit only. (Microsoft STILL hasn't done this). Hmm, all I can think of off the top of my head.[/citation]

EFI wasn't needed until now. Mainstream adoption. And oh god, 2006 was so long ago. They were also last to finally move to a recognizable, interoperable processor solution. When people do work, not on their own, but with other people, they frequently need to use old crap. Not by choice, but by necessity for productivity. 32bit is old. See the correlation?

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]I own a MacBook and it doesn't have a firewire port.[/citation]

What's your point? They also don't have firewire on the Air, iPads, iPhones, or iPods. I don't know any computer manufacturer that includes firewire with their entry level laptops. Apple used to, but they've gone the same way as most other companies by reserving firewire for the next tier of laptops up. In my above post, I listed the computers where Apple includes firewire; maybe it would have been easier to just state that all current Apple computers include FW800 except for their entry level consumer laptop (Macbook) and their closest equivalent to a netbook (Macbook Air).

Status
Not open for further replies.