Rumor: Macbooks to Feature Light Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

mianmian

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
But there is no Lightpeak device yet. Maybe Apple will sell their expansive adapters as well (lightpeak->usb3, lighpeak->display port, lightpeak->esata)

[citation][nom]mianmian[/nom]But there is no Lightpeak device yet. Maybe Apple will sell their expansive adapters as well (lightpeak->usb3, lighpeak->display port, lightpeak->esata)[/citation]
that's the whole idea... make more money off these devices.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I admit it, I liked Firewire. It was more reliable and faster than USB2.0 when it came to external harddrives. However, Apple was also the first company to ditch Firewire (even though it created it). Will Light Peak meet the same fate, embraced by a few enthusiasts and cast-aside by the other 99% of computer users who don't know anything other than USB?

Of course, I buy neither Intel nor Apple products, so I don't foresee myself using Light Peak anytime soon.

What, exactly, will be Apple's sales pitch here?

"Connect your devices to our computers at blazing-fast speeds, assuming the 5-year old Core 2 processor we stuck you with will be able to handle the throughput." (TM) And what needs this much throughput, external video cards?

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Light Peak is an "Apple Exclusive"? Then what is the point? What non-elitist would buy an external HD that only works on $5000+ Apple machines? The whole point of external devices is portability. It's like selling a monitor that only works with a Radeon 5970. Sure, some will buy it, but it's just incredibly stupid from a business perspective. If Apple keeps building up the walls like this, they will inadvertently wall their customers out, rather than wall them in. Apple continues to dig its own grave.

razercultmember1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]mianmian[/nom]But there is no Lightpeak device yet. Maybe Apple will sell their expansive adapters as well (lightpeak->usb3, lighpeak->display port, lightpeak->esata)[/citation]
light peak is an interconnect that goes between protocols. USB to USB but with Lightpeak in between doesnt matter what connector.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Like it or not Apple always seems to push component technology ahead of other manufacturers. They pushed USB2.0 when everyone was on USB1.0, they pushed Gigabit when everyone was on 100mps, DVI output on their notebooks, when the competition used vga. they even pushed firewire and firewire800.

Its no surprise apple will make a bottom line standard that everything will either be usb3.0 or have lightpeak in their next line up. its just the way they are.

I do know the makers of Lightpeak will be happy that a manufacture has embraced the technology on all their products.

Its a good thing..

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Has everyone forgotten the mystery of why Intel seems to be avoiding USB 3.0 in motherboards? There is a reason they have not committed to the tech IMO. LightPeak may debut in Apple but it will be pushed HARD across all segments after a short Apple exclusivity period. And naturally there will be devices that can use it available at launch.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]kingssman[/nom]Like it or not Apple always seems to push component technology ahead of other manufacturers. They pushed USB2.0 when everyone was on USB1.0, they pushed Gigabit when everyone was on 100mps, DVI output on their notebooks, when the competition used vga. they even pushed firewire and firewire800. Its no surprise apple will make a bottom line standard that everything will either be usb3.0 or have lightpeak in their next line up. its just the way they are.I do know the makers of Lightpeak will be happy that a manufacture has embraced the technology on all their products. Its a good thing..[/citation]

I agree. As is their choice to move to only SSD and lose the optical drive for their next generation. Other laptop manufacturers need to follow suit, because those decisions are definitely the right way to go.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]kingssman[/nom]Like it or not Apple always seems to push component technology ahead of other manufacturers.[/citation]

This explains them still using core2 processors right?

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]I agree. As is their choice to move to only SSD and lose the optical drive for their next generation. Other laptop manufacturers need to follow suit, because those decisions are definitely the right way to go.[/citation]

Manufactures will go along, it just takes them time. While apple may have these features for about 3-6 months, it gets the factories rolling for SSD makers ect, which then opens doors for folks like HP or Dell to buy the technology for cheaper and turn around and sell it cheaper while apple pays premium for "first adopters" of the components. (also hence the apple 150% markup to cover "first off the factory floor components")

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
yay, and Apple and Intel we say its clearly the natural progression, when all they've done is entirely artificially limit the support of USB3.0 by not supporting it... or tried to anyway... hasn't stopped everyone else.

I mean, I like the idea (though not the idea of having to pay the same price for a 100gbps network cable as I would for a cable to connect my keyboard to my computer...) but come on guys, if its sooo good, let it stand on it's own two feet without artificially hampering the competition.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
SSD only and no optical drive? Sounds like they are turning the MacBook Pro into the MacBook Air not just borrowing features. Kinda makes me glad I picked up my MBP earlier this year...

G

Video editing is nice, but if I could use this in the server room it would blow most of the 10Gb and fc stuff away.. Intel really could have the "one cable to rule them all" if they wanted to push this stuff right.

blazeorangeman

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Ah man, no way: Lightpeak!

*cricket* *cricket*

Well at least they don't have 3D displays on the Macbook Pros...or am I going to be regretting this sarcasm? Anyway you put it, it means expensive computers in this nice recession, and no way to actually use this new technology.

At least SSD are making a heavier push in the market...

Status
Not open for further replies.