Rumor: Samsung Galaxy S4 Codenamed 'Project J' in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Other speculation has suggested that the Galaxy S4 will be the first eight-core smartphone. It's said to boast four Cortex-A15 cores along with four Cortex-A7s.
If this is true, I'm taking a pass. I don't need eight cores when 6 of them will sit idle hogging power. Just give me a dual-core A15 and maybe a companion core. I'm set.

zzz_b

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I am glad the 13MP camera is in the back, not on the side or front...
Does anybody have more than 2MP front facing camera on any device? If yes, please let me know :)

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
If the specs you listed are true, that wouldn't really function as an 8-core processor. It would be a quad-core processor with 4 Cortex A15 cores. The A7's would function simply as low power, energy efficient alternative in a 'BIG.little' heterogeneous computing configuration on the SOC. Either the Cortex A15's will be active, or the A7's, never both at the same time.

This is similar to what Nvidia did with Tegra 3 and its 4+1 processor. It saves power by shutting off the high performance cores when they aren't needed, and relies on the lower power core(s) when at idle or performing simple tasks.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Make the S4-mini the same specs but in a with a 4.3" display

Have all S4 with 3 years updates, each update within 2 weeks of a update release by Google

I will then consider switching

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
CPU power draw isn't that big of a deal. Compared to the screen, wifi, 4g, radio, the CPU doesn't draw that much. Personally I just wish they would put a bigger battery in it, 3000mah would be a big step up. given the form factor you might add 1 or 2 mm to the thickness. Fine with me they seem too thin already.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Just noticed the back-panel on the picture - mixed glossy glass and brushed aluminum look just like the iPhone 5.
Does it look like they copied "took cues" from the iPhone's design again?

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
As others have stated, I sure hope they don't 86 the removable battery and micro SD. If they keep those two features I will be owning one of these the day they come to my carrier.

winterspan

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
@DragonSqrrl
"....The A7's would function simply as low power, energy efficient alternative in a 'BIG.little' heterogeneous computing configuration on the SOC. Either the Cortex A15's will be active, or the A7's, never both at the same time."

While you would be right, It doesn't make sense to use FOUR A7 cores (versus one or two A7s) for "lightweight tasks" while powering down the A15s. I don't doubt that you could find some rare and amazingly specific workload that would benefit from FOUR in a performance/watt measure, but certainly not general purpose smartphone use. I think that in reality we will see a Dual A15/Dual A7 architecture (ARM's standard big.LITTLE architecture) and that someone in the rumor mill heard reports of "quad-core" and "will have both A15 and A7 cores" and though that must mean quad-A15 + quad-A7.

G

RUMOR: It will look exactly like the iPhone 5 only it will have a Samsung logo, worse performance, and it will be way less cool.

G

Meh I'm waiting on the Galaxy Note 3 to replace my Note 1 next year. Will have a 6 inch screen at 1080p and 4 gb of ram with 2ghz cpu.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]winterspan[/nom]@DragonSqrrlWhile you would be right, It doesn't make sense to use FOUR A7 cores (versus one or two A7s) for "lightweight tasks" while powering down the A15s. I don't doubt that you could find some rare and amazingly specific workload that would benefit from FOUR in a performance/watt measure, but certainly not general purpose smartphone use. I think that in reality we will see a Dual A15/Dual A7 architecture (ARM's standard big.LITTLE architecture) and that someone in the rumor mill heard reports of "quad-core" and "will have both A15 and A7 cores" and though that must mean quad-A15 + quad-A7.[/citation]
I agree, it doesn't seem to make much sense. 1 A7 should really be enough, or maybe 2 at most. Chances are the rumor is probably inaccurate. And ya, it's "big.LITTLE", not "BIG.little".

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
[citation][nom]ivanto[/nom]Just noticed the back-panel on the picture - mixed glossy glass and brushed aluminum look just like the iPhone 5. Does it look like they copied "took cues" from the iPhone's design again?[/citation]
Why would Samsung copy an inferior product? My wife's GS2 is a better phone in my opinion. The iphone 5 is a let down. If your house is full of apple products, fine, buy the iphone 5. Why anyone else who can read buys an iphone is puzzling. We had 2 of 5 service guys at work choose the iphone 5. Within 2 weeks of the rest of us receiving our note 2's, they have handed back the iphones and got GN2's. Here are a few things that GN2 does better (from a diehard apple guy, my co-worker) The screen is bigger and brighter. This feature alone is worth switching for. You don't have to scroll left and right to read our service app. Predictive text is better, voice recognition is better. "Google now" is better than Siri. Asking Siri to be your girlfriend is not really entertaining after the first time. S-pen is kick ass. You can add 64GB for $54. The folder system is better for work. The notification bar is far superior. Widgets vs no widgets. all day battery. Live wallpaper. Multitasking (using it more than I thought)
We grew tired of my two co-workers asking to hold our phones before service meetings. I did hold the iphone 5 during this time. It was a little longer but felt like a toy compared to the GN2. I also didn't like the lack of brightness. I run my Note2 at full brightness all day. The point of this post is that Apple has been following Samsung since the release of the GS2 and they are falling further behind. Give me a choice, iphone 5 or Galaxy S2, no question, the S2. No fan boy here either, I bought my wife an iphone 4 . I thought that is may be easier to teach ios than android. I am familiar with ios which is simple and lacking features compared to android. When her iphone crapped out, I picked her up and S2. The S4 looks promising. A 5 inch phone may allow room for the GN2's big battery.

[citation][nom]ivanto[/nom]Just noticed the back-panel on the picture - mixed glossy glass and brushed aluminum look just like the iPhone 5. Does it look like they copied "took cues" from the iPhone's design again?[/citation]
Relax, dude. It's a rendering by some artist, not the design of the actual device. Same render was tossed around before the S3 came out.
If anything, looks like Apple stole this idea from the unknown artist and shamelessly used it in their latest iPhone. A piss-poor use at that, since the finish of that aluminum back is so poorly executed.

G

[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]is it just me or is samsung making larger and larger phones. like anything beyond the S3 for me wont fit into my hand or pocket nicely[/citation]
I prefer having bigger the better, I dont want a phone everyone else has in their pocket. I have the Galaxy Note the big brother of the S3 and I want the Note 2 which is bigger than the 1. 5.5 inch screen to die for. I get alot of attention with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.