Rumor: Windows 9 Going RTM in Q4 2014

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

you only breath not to die .. otherwise you hate air ... so that`s why you`re not paying for it ... this is your logic.

lhn91

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
You know, it's funny. Everyone keeps professing their love for XP, the "perfect OS" - I hated it. From day one. It was a crash-prone mess until SP2, and even then I tolerated it at best.

As soon as Vista came out I ran it on whatever I could, and when 7 came out I dropped XP from every machine I had it on, barring the ones that couldn't run it. I now run a mix of 7 and 8.1, and the only reason I don't have 8.1 on everything is that the UI is very "average user" unfriendly - the lady gets completely lost. Otherwise it is a lighter and more efficient OS in many ways.

s0378ck3

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hi, my name is Chris and I am in college and in an externship at one of the top 10 bedding retailers in North America. I work at the corporate office and perform content management on the websites for the different store chains. I take the document articles and mark them up with HTML for posting to various sites. I am in school for web design and have made web apps and pages using Bootstrap, HTML, CSS, JS, C#, ASP. I am interested in the content management position. It is a great fit for my schedule, my passions about technology, and I love your company and want to be a part of it. I always strive to continue improving and I will bring this to whatever tasks you give me. Please contact me for more information about my schooling and my skills. s0378ck3@gmail.com

The3monitors

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Win 8.1 has so many features. Hmmm where to begin. Like say if you had an older version of nero (bought it in 2000)and it wont install on the os. So what do you do give an email to them and they suggest you try their new version available for dl. That sounds great. But the new vers isnt as fast as their older vers. Well you dont want to purchase it so your stuck.
But you format your system and try to get the trial again. Oopsir you now have realized you have already used their free 30 day trial. Good use of os registration to stop ppl from having access to software they already had, but force them to spend money in order to utilize it again..
Oh not to mention the lack of the ability to play dvd's unless you spend another $100. Or get vlc which opens up ports on your system for hackers to easily hop into your sys.
/me spits in M$ direction.

I happen to like W8/.1 and could care less about it being designed primarily for touch screens or tablets. It's smooth running, uses fewer resources, and hasn't caused me a single issue since installing it. I could care less about some damned start menu as others have fussed and whined about incessantly.

I can't say I'm all that excited for this update as I don't see it as necessary, but that's just my opinion.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013

No it is not. First of all its a really bad anology as air is free already and there is no real alternative to it. Now lets use a more accurate anology. To enter parties you need a handbag (windows) you could just buy that handbag and enter the party however you don't even like handbags, you prefer to wear a backpack. Backpacks (linux) are free and are generally more comfortable then hand bags. Now to enter parties you need that handbag however there are also fake handbags which are exactly the same only Chinese replica's those replica's are also free.

Would in this case taking the Replica be so bad? I'd argue not.

Counterfeit goods are a good anology to piracy as they are both breaching the copyright of the original and although conteirfeits are often of lesser quality and do cost money those are pretty much the only real differences between the two.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
So Tom's is buying this crap enough to put this story up?So Microsoft is going to release a fully working OS to the press way before a public beta or even RTM?

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

You use their product to play games, why do you find it ok to pay 60$ for 6 hours of gameplay but find it outrageous to pay for an OS ? It doesn`t matter that you don`t use the other parts of the OS.. you use it to game, some people put work into that to please everybody not only gamers.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

I definitely hope W9 will be more stable, it was mostly the major updates that was unstable and took too much memory to download.

Are you saying the same people who upgrade their graphics card complain about buying a new OS every 3 to 4 years. I have several desktops laying around and i find it sad that only after 11 years those computers are now useless. If i had the knowledge i had about computers back then i wouldn't have gotten all those computers and would have figured out a way to prevented spending so much on new hardware. I don't bother spending money on a new OS every 3-4 years and that will never happen. Even back then i knew money would be phased out and XP has been the longest lasting OS and even people are still using it. Seems like to me that more and more people are trying to spend less. Change for the sake of change is just change.

Windows 3.1 and 95 were both OS's that played their part and those OS's could have easily been around longer but computers got better so when older computers ran into problems, people started buying new machines. Of course those who have money to burn on new $800 PCs every 3-4 years went out to buy the latest and greatest but the PCs built 3-4 years ago work just fine, i wouldn't spend that much money or much at all within 3-4 years. In fact i'm looking to only spend $500 every 20 years on computer upgrades if i can, so yeah there's people out there who don't want to spend money on a new OS every 3-4 years. Maybe they are using their money to invest in a new graphics card. I certainly would prefer doing that over needing a new OS every other year. If you want to blow your money on computer upgrades every other year or so, that's fine but not everyone wants to do that and they are willing to go to great lengths to avoid spending that money. It's not smart using XP now but well, they certainly didn't want XP to die so people are clinging onto it because it still works for them.

Exactly, i hope the videos on youtube are pretty accurate of what W9 will look like, at least we'll get an actual preview soon. Vista was just a bit sloppy though and rough around the edges, it really makes no sense why W8 was the way it was and MS should have known better to try to change something people have grown accustomed to.

kmo911

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
ms dos to win. we loven IT. me was nice but little buggy. win 8 lovely no bugs here please.
even mac in bootcamp are fun. vmware mac. hmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.