Rumor: Windows 9 Going RTM in Q4 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
I'll definitely be looking forward to trying this. I've been pleased with every version of Windows I've used. I liked 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, and 8.

Yeah, I liked Vista and 8. Sue me.

i'm sure Microsoft spent more time on all the crapware leaching to the os then they did on the os itself like as we seen from everything above XP . they need to release a os that's just a os and let me decide if I want or need all the extra gimmickware bloating things up . a streamlined fast stable os is all we need not a bunch of crap to weed through to just get to the os

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Hope Windows 9 is more stable than 8 and has better old software support like 7 does.

Better be free for my 8.1 pro laptop or else I will have to say screwed my M$ again just like that buggy thing called vista that SP1 nor SP2 could fix. Ran a non-public dev build of windows 7 just to not deal with vistas BS anymore. (I knew a guy, he is retired now.)

I hope they also shoot for a microkernel OS again, because I think that's really the next step to really make the OS it's self better.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
I'll definitely be looking forward to trying this. I've been pleased with every version of Windows I've used. I liked 95, 98, XP, Vista, 7, and 8.

There is nothing wrong with you liking those.
The problem usually starts when Microsoft or other commenters try to tell me that I like it, or Microsoft acts as if I liked it.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Ignoring the business sector, stubbornness, wanting to be like apple, and wanting to be part of a stupid fad... was what brought Win8 down...

We shall see with 9....

and has better old software support like 7 does. ??????

this windows 7 don't support nothing like xp and vista did I got stuff that had no issues on xp and vista but to work with 7 it was a small hack jobs to do so

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

XP yes and it was the best OS ever, vista maybe if it didn't blue screen so much even on SP2. Windows 7 is better than windows 8 at supporting older software by far and that was what I was commenting on.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

Don`t worry, i liked it also , i think Vista had the best visuals from all Windows releases, and i enjoy now how Win 8.1 works thou i would love to have WIn 8.1 with Vista`s visuals. Back in the day i had a pretty good computer to run Vista not like all those guys with 96 MB of Ram crying that Vista blows.

I guess its all so you need to buy new programs and not use old so the money keeps rolling in to them they remove certin core items to render older software useless I took parts of vista and xp and ''installed'' them into 7 where they were conveniently left out of 7 I just hate to think how many of my nice programs I would loose going to 8 or above .. its not like there free like with Linux

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"i'm sure Microsoft spent more time on all the crapware leaching to the os then they did on the os itself like as we seen from everything above XP . they need to release a os that's just a os and let me decide if I want or need all the extra gimmickware bloating things up . a streamlined fast stable os is all we need not a bunch of crap to weed through to just get to the os"

The last two releases (7 and 8) have each consumed less resources than the former. MS has been on the "streamlining" bandwagon ever since OEMs started installing Vista on inadequate hardware and ruining their image.

consuming resources and functionality are not the same so it used slightly moer memory or cpu so what at least all my programs worked with it what good is the having the rest if you can use the program ?? maybe that's why it uses less cause the program don't work on it anymore

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
Honestly, the age spend more than $100USD for an OS should be a thing of past. Tell me why an OS worth $100+?

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Why do people gripe about paying $100 to $200 every few years for a new OS? I mean, people upgrade their Video Cards every year to 3 years for a hell of a lot more. You still end up with out of date hardware that goes down the line to secondary computers to sitting on a shelf to getting recycled or trashed.

Change is good. Otherwise you'd still be on 3.11 or 95. For this being a Tech site showing the latest and greatest in hardware, people want to be crippled by OS's that should be revamped every now and then.

I've used and liked all OS's from MS since 3.1 days EXCEPT Windows ME. Bought EVERY one of them. Never Pirated a thing. I guess having a good paying job and education has its perks.

and fools and there money are soon parted too... I mean pay $200 for a os load it and be done with it or pay rent and something goes wrong in some way and you cant pay or your account gets screwed up or hacked or stolen where are you at then??

at least I got the hard copy on my hard drive and after I activate it I never have to deal with anyone forever if I so choose . right ?? all my stuff is on my drive not on there cloud server in a remote village in India or china .
you guys just don't get whats going on, think of the last cloud hack job with the nude photos now think that could be your files cause cloud is so great and we all want that bad... they done screwed you over good with pc games where you got to rely on something like steam where you rent the right to play at there terms cause with out them you got nothing for your money if they say your done so now Microsoft sees that you all go for that and now they want to cash in --- get your money give you nothing cause if you don't do things just there way your done and you loose it all so where's your investment then ?? its floating around on that cloud and if you don't pay you don't access , your stuff

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"consuming resources and functionality are not the same so it used slightly moer memory or cpu so what at least all my programs worked with it what good is the having the rest if you can use the program ?? "

You asked about bloating; win 8/8.1 is many things, but you cannot call it bloatware unless you include the more resource-using 7 in that. If you want to attack Metro being forced on you, that's a usability issue.

As far as I'm concerned, once you get the 8.1 update that allows you to boot directly to the desktop, there absolutely nothing I can do on 7 than I cant do on 8.1.

Billzegun1

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Basicly what im doing is saying Screw you windows 8! screw you windows 9! ill keep my windows 7 until developers stop making games and software for it, which I don't see happening any time soon

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Can't wait for 9.. I LOVE 8 but new software always makes me happy.. Keep moving forward!!! and for the haters.. if you like XP use it, if you like 7 use it.. but don't ask MS to hold me back because you are resistant to change. Personally I'd love to be able to pin Live tiles to my desktop and have a start menu.. best of both worlds.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
I must've been one lucky SOB, to have Vista work just fine for me. I'd still prefer it to 8, and I hope 9 trumps 7 when released. otherwise, I'm going to upload 7 and say %#@ it!

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I see every post having the slightest enthusiasm for a change in windows or mildly trying to defend it with good arguments get down voted by what i can only call narrow minded people...

Why do you need to pay 100$ for an OS ? Because behind that OS there are lots of people working to make it, lots of R&D to make your PC run everything and not be just an expensive door stop (be it with bugs as it is, there is no perfect OS, no, not even linux). You will gladly pay 60$ for a piece of crap game that you`ll finish in 6 hours but find it outrageous to pay 100$ for an OS that you`ll use for several years ???????

The logic in hating MS is astonishing ...

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I hope the new apartment won't prevent me from using Windows update. I only use Windows because I have to for gaming but I sure as hell are not going to pay for the privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.