Rumor: Windows 9 May Be Revealed Next Week

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
A subscription based OS is a bad idea. An OS you cannot use offline is utter rubbish.
You can use Office 365 offline, just not send emails or upload/download from Onedrive until you go online again. There is no reason to believe the OS will be any different.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I have no problem with the detach/attach process so long as you can detach without access to the install, so that if say your hard drive goes or someone seals your computer you can detach that machine from the web or store.

thethirdrace

Honorable
May 18, 2012
People just blindly hate MS...

Facts:
- Upgrading from Vista to 7 in the first 3 months cost 40$
- Upgrading from 7 to 8 in the first 3 months cost 40$
- An OEM license cost 100$
- MS launches a new OS every 2 years now
- It would be illegal for MS to "kill" your OS if you don't pay your subscribtion in about every country on Earth

What can we assume:
- A subscription would be around 20$ to 30$ a year (40$ upgrade every 2 years = 20$/year)
- Not paying a subscription would deactivate non essential stuff. For example, you wouldn't have access to Windows Update, OneDrive, installing new app from the Windows store, etc.
- There will be a non subscription option (100% sure)

Advantages you could get from subscription:
- Always updated to the latest OS
- Always access to a Windows install disk (not available currently with upgrades at 40$)
- Extra OneDrive space, just like Office 365 does

MS isn't the all Evil corporation people makes it out to be. It does bad things yes, things that drives me crazy sometimes, but it does good ones too. Keep things in perspective, Google and Apple also do things just as bad and just as good.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
However much many of you are critical of this, a subscription model for an OS would actually work well for a lot of people - depending on pricing, of course, and MS does screw the pooch on pricing with some of their products. Depending on how they work a subscription model, it could allow for a lot of flexibility for users at a lesser cost overall, or just the flexibility to switch without as much capital invested. Office 365 is actually a pretty damned good deal when all is said and done - a Windows subscription could work out similarly.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
No I am not going to "rent" my OS. I would pay $1 per month max if they went that route otherwise I would start purchasing an apple (yeah I know I said it)

Indeed, as a Mac hater, I'd finally be fed-up enough to make the jump (if forced into a subscription for my OS).

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
otherwise I would start purchasing an apple (yeah I know I said it)
Why apple? There's always linux (which is free).

Linux has an unacceptable learning curve for casual computer users.

My experience has shown that casual computer users are unable to do the simplest of tasks, and this is the reason for the success of Microsoft Windows - most anyone can use it.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Requiring logging in to the Windows Store to activate means the activation process won't be anonymous anymore. Each Windows 9 machine will have personal information tied to tracked by MS.

Which would completely stop me from buying it.

Looks like I'll die with a Windows 7 box in my hand...

Koobecaf Gnikcuf

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014
However much many of you are critical of this, a subscription model for an OS would actually work well for a lot of people - depending on pricing, of course, and MS does screw the pooch on pricing with some of their products. Depending on how they work a subscription model, it could allow for a lot of flexibility for users at a lesser cost overall, or just the flexibility to switch without as much capital invested. Office 365 is actually a pretty damned good deal when all is said and done - a Windows subscription could work out similarly.

I already see how microsoft trying to advertise their shitty OS now

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Windows Store requires your Microsoft Account to login, since the dawn of time I have been able to create an anonymous Hotmail/Live/Outlook email account and that serves its purpose. If you a particularly paranoid, wear a big hat and make the account at an internet cafe.

Why would you assume I would use the Windows Store?

thethirdrace

Honorable
May 18, 2012
Requiring logging in to the Windows Store to activate means the activation process won't be anonymous anymore. Each Windows 9 machine will have personal information tied to tracked by MS.

Which would completely stop me from buying it.

Looks like I'll die with a Windows 7 box in my hand...

Yet, you're perfectly fine Apple and Google read thru all your emails, tracks your phone every second of the day and dress a complete profile of you that they sell to third-parties...

Perspective, perspective, perspective...

You can always create an anonymous MS account if you're that paranoid about them.

How is this a hassle? You login to your Microsoft account when setting up your system, and it should be activated by just going to the store without going through the hassle of typing out a key; it should also block issues of keys now working too.

Probably, if it's good though.

Who said you cannot use it offline? It's a subscription activated system, and that doesn't mean you cannot use it offline once you activate it. Microsoft not allowing you to use your system when there is no internet would be incredibly foolish.

How about buying the operating system, and not committing a crime. Also it's not a new "OS" every year, you are just paying in increments instead of one large sum at once.

All this Microsoft hate is getting old. I could understand it if it was Apple, but give it a rest. Complain about the missing start menu, that's fine. They are making good products and services, especially Office 365 with 1TB of storage PER user for only $5 dollars a month. 1TB for 5 dollars a month per user is an irresistible offer with Google drive offering 1TB of storage for 10 dollars without good office software. If you are a student you can get office for 4 years for around $80 too.

jardows

Distinguished
May 14, 2003
You want a good reason to go Mac? $20. $20 is what it cost me to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.8. For all the Macs on my iTunes account, up to 5. And Mavericks was free!

$0.00 is what it cost me to upgrade from WinXP to SP1, SP2, SP3
$0.00 is what it cost me to upgrade from Vista to SP1, SP2
$0.00 is what it cost me to upgrade from Win7 to SP1
$0.00 is what it cost me to upgrade from Win8 to 8.1, 8.1 update 1.

Essentially, all the Mac OS "upgrades" you had to pay for were little more than a service pack for OSX 10.5. And I have used OSX 10.5-10.8, so I know what was "upgraded."

Mac OSX 10.4-10.5 was a significant change. Probably more like upgrading from Vista to 7 in the Windows World.
Mac OS 9 to OSX was the last major OS upgrade from Apple (like going from XP to Vista)

jardows

Distinguished
May 14, 2003
A subscription based OS is a bad idea. An OS you cannot use offline is utter rubbish.

Actually, subscription based OS is not a new or novel idea. Enterprises and Educational Institutions have used subscription based licensing for years for their OS. Of course, these were not required to be "online" to work, and I am sure if Win9 uses subscription base, it will not require it either. Unless MS releases a version similar to Google Chrome at super cheap or "free."

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Subscription Model: Great for Corporations, bad for end users.
if they made Enterprise licensing on subscription models (they're practically at that point anyway, this would just encourage companies to be MORE up to date instead of soldiering on XP or 7 as the cost of entry to new OSs would be drastically lower.
people(mom/pop/grandma/gamer) just wants to pay for something, have it. keep it. not worry about a damn monthly draft on their account. if they establish a model like that. i don't have a problem. i can still go build my PC, throw an OEM license on it and be okay. if i have to MAKE A WINDOWS STORE ACCOUNT and SIGN IN in order to KEEP MY COMPUTER WORKING...f-off, there's other OSes out there, I'll buy a chromebook and convert my PC to linux/SteamOS, or soldier on with 7 & 8.1 til NOTHING will run on them anymore.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Microsoft has always been about licensing. What is new about this? This has been going on since Windows 95 came out. Get used to it.

They will have options for activating Windows offline for their corporate and government customers. Same will be for end users.

iogbrideau

Reputable
May 28, 2014

This learning curve is becoming less and less every year. I've seen computer casuals and illiterate people go from Windows to the Mageia and Mint Distros without problems. You just have to choose distros that are more user friendly, although in Mageia's case it's very bloated with useless software, but still has a look very similar to Win 7. The only thing they have to remember is that they won't have access to all the same programs as Windows.

sarcophagus_macabre

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2013

And Windows upgrades between XP, 7 and 8 have mainly been, if you'll excuse the pun, window dressing. It is still the NT kernel, which is the OS that stranded an Aegis cruiser at sea, making it nonoperational for 3 days.

Still the fact remains, that I can upgrade *all* my macs, up to 5 of them for one low price of $20, while every time thre is a new Windows it costs 5 to 7 times that for *each computer you need to upgrade*. And, have you noticed the ever shrinking amount of time between new Windows releases?

danielschulken

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So what happens when there store is down? Should they talk to ubisoft about that? Or if you have any software installed that they don't like and decide to revoke your license.

Status
Not open for further replies.