Run a 9600XT passively?

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Just got an ATI 9600XT. Now I only have 4 large, <i>quiet</i> fans in my case. I put this card in and now I have a whining :( Would it be safe to take this fan off? Or do these run hot? I'm not looking to OC and the gaming I do is bouts here and there of q3(yeah so what). Thank you!

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
dont remove unless u like cooked pcb

My own beast: Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb ddr400. SO MUCH faster than my last computer (pIII 550......)

G

Ya think of the 9600XT as an overclocked 9600pro removing the fan cant be good altough there is some passive cooling solution for the 9800s, would probly fit on a 9600Xt not sure tough

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
You can use a Zahlman on it safely.

<b><font color=red>3DMark03</font color=red></b>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1790928" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1790928</A>
<b><font color=red>3DMark 2001SE</b></font color=red>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7381806" target="_new">http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7381806</A>

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Thanks guys. I'll have a look at the Zalman sinks. I had another quick question. Is there a way to make my desktop "stretch" across both monitors with the taskbar running on both? Like you run at 2560x1024@85, which would be really 1280x1024 on each monitor. All I can find is the "extend my desktop to this monitor" for the second. But I don't like that because programs won't use that second monitor when maximized. Any more help would be great. Thanks again everyone.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have an AIW 9600 Pro, it runs cool at 500MHz using a passive sink from an old card with a 40mm CPU fan screwed to it for added cooling. I should say it runs COLD!

The reason I mention this solution is simple: 40mm CPU fans are very quiet, and old passive sinks are often FREE. You get better cooling due to the extra surface area of the passive sink, and the fan blows well at lower speed due to its extra thickness. And the longer bearing on the thicker fan reduces oscilation the creats buzzing noises as the fan ages.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Would the Zalman ZM17CU be a good one? I don't know I switched from a dual cpu setup to a single one because of the noise factor. I know these things need good cooling. But I would have thought factory cooling would be a little less noisy. Thanks again.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
To tell you the truth I've only ever used stock, modified stock, and custom made VGA coolers.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, after the review I overclocked it to 500/770. The heatsink is attached with heatsink pegs, the fan is attached to the heatsink with screws.

Just based on my readings, the Zalman doesn't offer great OC overhead for the R9600P (likely similar to the situation for the XT), it's not bad, but not stellar when compared to the Stock solution (some people's performance has gone DOWN).

Crash's solution is a very good one. You have a bunch of case fans, so you're not looking for absolute silence just not so high pitched noise (right?).

BTW, Dual CPU shouldn't be a problem, seriously my vid/pic editing rig has dual XP1800+ (modded to MP) running @ 1600-1667mhz (XP1900-2000+) with dual Volcano 9 coolers running at low-medium speed, and they are very quiet. And this is even during long periods of editing, rendering, etc.
As long as you aren't OC'ing too much a big cooler running at low should've been pretty quiet. The V9s are much more quiet than the stock AMD HSF, as long as I don't OC TOO much.

Anywhoo, if you do go with a CPU cooler on your G-card, be sure to make sure it's not so big as to damage your card, and don't move your machine with the cooler on, as it could cause undue stress on the card/board. Moving the Dual AMD rig caused enough strain to flake of the nickel paint on one of the CPUs and dissable it as an MP (couldn't figure out WTF happened for a while). If the moding seems a bit much the Zalman is VERY quiet, but if you feel up to it, I'd say Crash's solution is likely your best bet if you're interested in OC'ing, especially since the Zalman tends to interfer with the memory cooling as well thus lowering top end for the memory (which is one of the biggest limiting factors for the R9600 series).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I don't do any OCing at all. My current setup, I have 4 fans total in an Antec Sonata case. 2 in the PSU (550w Antec), the 120mm that comes with the case. And the 92mm fan on my Zalman 7000-Cu(killer hs/f). So without the Radeon it was close to silent. Even if I could replace the fan with one more quiet I'd be happy. That's a 50mm fan on the Radeon correct?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Software. The only card I've modified the BIOS speed on is my old one.