Question run PC with out Cooler

A4G

Jan 18, 2023
I just finished my PC building but still didn't buy the CPU cooler, fans and Thermal Paste,
Can i safety run the pc ? i will just install the windows and perform some light desktop tasks

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I just finished my PC building but still didn't buy the CPU cooler, fans and Thermal Paste,
Can i safety run the pc ? i will just install the windows and perform some light desktop tasks

Would you drive a car without brakes?
Would you skydive without a safety harness on the parachute?
Would you fly in a plane without an altimeter?
Would you inject yourself with a hypodermic needle you find in an alley?
Would you repair your oven while it's plugged in?
Would you have surgery without anesthesia?
Would you take a blank bottle of pills without anything identifying what they are?
Would you run your PC without a proper cooling solution?

The answer to all of these is the same.

If you don't have a cooler installed, you haven't finished building your PC. It's like having a house built and moving in before they made a roof.

A4G

Jan 18, 2023
Would you drive a car without brakes?
Would you skydive without a safety harness on the parachute?
Would you fly in a plane without an altimeter?
Would you inject yourself with a hypodermic needle you find in an alley?
Would you repair your oven while it's plugged in?
Would you have surgery without anesthesia?
Would you take a blank bottle of pills without anything identifying what they are?
Would you run your PC without a proper cooling solution?

The answer to all of these is the same.

If you don't have a cooler installed, you haven't finished building your PC. It's like having a house built and moving in before they made a roof.

my cpu 12600k with b660m motherboard, do your recommend a high quality Air cooler or Budged liquid cooler ?

You do not EVER run ANY system without a CPU cooler installed, unless you have absolutely no concern whatsoever if something gets damaged. Besides which, you'd never be able to "install" anything anyhow. You'd thermal throttle to the point where the system would simply shut itself down or run so slow it could never even load the installer. And that's only if the BIOS configuration even allows the motherboard to remain powered on once it fails to see an RPM signature on the CPU_FAN header.

And for a 12600k, I'd agree that the Peerless Assassin SE is the best budget option out there. With it's twin finstack and six heat pipes it's a FAR better option than any of the CM Hyper 212 models which have a single finstack and only four heat pipes. Should be more than sufficient for anything up to the 12700k from that Gen.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $35.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-22 00:10 EST-0500

ThraxInDistress

Prominent
Jan 15, 2022
I mean you could, there isn't anything stopping you, but you Shouldn't.

Let me run down what might happen if you do so.

1. Your motherboard doesn't detect a CPU Cooler. Refuses to Boot.
  2. Your PC starts up and shuts down after half a minute.
In connection to 2. If you continuously try to do so even though it keeps shutting down, you will eventually Permanently Damage the Processor.

Or another scenario. [Edit]
  1. An endless boot loop resulting to Permanent Processor Damage due to overheating.
  2. You could start a fire considering your parts are sub-quality and has not enough safety measures in place.
So please don't. Just grab a CPU cooler, even the crappy ones like a stock intel for example. Those are better choices rather than an exposed Processor to the elements.