[SOLVED] Run Steam Game via USB-Drive on 2nd PC without without Logging in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deNameMo

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
So I bought a game a while ago and installed it on Steam, all legit so far.
My goal is to take that games folder, copy-pasta it onto a usb-drive and then be able to start that game on a different computer via the drive.

• Admin Privileges are obtainable though I would rather prefer not to do that.
  • I am aware that some games are runnable without the client though this is not one of them.
  • Installing Steam won't work. I'm sure there's a way around it and I could install Steam on the second computer though my biggest concern is rather logging in with my Steam credentials since its a public device. So no thank you.
There's no need for flaming comments about the necessity or reasoning of running the game on a different computer ,like cmon this is a gaming forum section what did you expect?

Thanks in adsvance.

Solution
Outside of cracking the game there is nothing you can do.
When you buy games from GOG they come without any DRM so you can run them anywhere you want without having to connect to any account.

USAFRet

Titan
I think not logging in will be your major hurdle. Steam has to verify that your account has rights and ownership of that particular game.

Portable Steam client? Maybe.

Mist
"An open-source, portable and lightweight Steam client that aims to make your Steam experience better than ever."

(I have no idea how well that works, if at all. Just something I found)

Reactions: deNameMo

deNameMo

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
I think not logging in will be your major hurdle. Steam has to verify that your account has rights and ownership of that particular game.
Mist

I will check that out, that's the biggest hurdle indeed but there's always a path.

Question - Who owns this machine?

That's what I meant with the last sentences. Won't make a ∆ at the end (c what I did there?) though its worth noting that I'm logged in as a guest/semi-anonymous user (semi because I'm present obviously)
Don't worry I'm not using the governments pc. (Reason why I hate this question is because it will 9/10x turn 80% of the next replies into a discussion about something completely different so please return back to the actual question thanks).

The site looks very suspicious and there is not a single YouTube video out there. Any readers precautions, don't hand out your Credentials unless its absolutely 100% proven!

Last edited:

menlui

Respectable
Jul 18, 2018
You should be able to install a game to a flash drive, but not just copy it over and expect it to work perfectly, whether it needs the Steam client to run would be game specific any workarounds are cracks which makes this seem more like piracy and a request on how you could copy someone else's files for your own benefit.

deNameMo

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
You should be able to install a game to a flash drive, but not just copy it over and expect it to work perfectly, whether it needs the Steam client to run would be game specific any workarounds are cracks which makes this seem more like piracy and a request on how you could copy someone else's files for your own benefit.
No its actually not piracy. It baffles my mind just how much misinformation is spread around / information pulled out of thin air these days!

Once you buy the game ,its yours!
Telling steam to "install" (debullsh!tifyied: move) the game's files to a different folder / drive is literally the exact same as copy pasting the folder onto said destination. One is manual, the other automatic / scripted
If the other would be the case then boi ahoi oh boi would we have a piracy issue world wide on the net...

//close Please close this thread as there are ,just as I have predicted above, only going to be comments and pointless off topic discussions after the first guy without a brain misreads the obvious disclaimer....

Even when you warn 'em, they still go "BUT STILL...."

menlui

Respectable
Jul 18, 2018
You asked for a workaround of a Steam game, Steam games are not DRM free so any work not explicitly authorised by them is pirated. See the agreement you sign up to below.

A. General Content and Services License
Steam and your Subscription(s) require the automatic download and installation of Content and Services onto your computer. Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a non-exclusive license and right, to use the Content and Services for your personal, non-commercial use (except where commercial use is expressly allowed herein or in the applicable Subscription Terms). This license ends upon termination of (a) this Agreement or (b) a Subscription that includes the license. The Content and Services are licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Content and Services. To make use of the Content and Services, you must have a Steam Account and you may be required to be running the Steam client and maintaining a connection to the Internet.

deNameMo

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
You asked for a workaround of a Steam game, Steam games are not DRM free so any work not explicitly authorised by them is pirated. See the agreement you sign up to below.

A. General Content and Services License
Steam and your Subscription(s) require the automatic download and installation of Content and Services onto your computer. Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a non-exclusive license and right, to use the Content and Services for your personal, non-commercial use (except where commercial use is expressly allowed herein or in the applicable Subscription Terms). This license ends upon termination of (a) this Agreement or (b) a Subscription that includes the license. The Content and Services are licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Content and Services. To make use of the Content and Services, you must have a Steam Account and you may be required to be running the Steam client and maintaining a connection to the Internet.
Baffles me every time! Do you even read my post? By the way, pulling ToS of the internet without even reading it is probably the weakest argument ever, just read it yourself and read my post (since apparently you didn't do that before)...

This section is completely riddled with misinformation and more off-topic. marked answer above is the only solution for future readers, won't reply here anymore, have a nice evening.

USAFRet

Titan
You can copy Steam games to a USB. Or a different folder or drive. Even a different PC.
That is easy, and supported directly through the Steam client.

But you generally still need to log in the Steam client on whichever PC, so they can verify the person running it has license to run this particular game.

Status
Not open for further replies.