I saw this question on another newsgroup.....
I'll pass the answer along (but the question looks
somewhat incomplete to me)..........

Can I run WinXP on a P2 350? If so, how much ram do you advise?

Oe6
William B. Lurie

William B. Lurie wrote:
> I saw this question on another newsgroup.....
> I'll pass the answer along (but the question looks
> somewhat incomplete to me)..........
>
> Can I run WinXP on a P2 350? If so, how much ram do you advise?
>
> Oe6
> William B. Lurie

"Glacial" is the term that comes to my mind, I'm afraid. If you
turn off all of WinXP GUI eye-candy, it will still be very slow, but
it might usable for simple word processing, email, web-browsing, etc.
It won't be any good for graphics-intensive applications, and most
newer games. (During the public preview period, I tested WinXP on a
500 MHz machine with 256 Mb of RAM, and it was slower than I like.)

1) Right-click the Task Bar > Properties > Start Menu, ensure
"Classic Start menu" is selected.

2) Right-click an empty spot on the Desktop > Properties > Themes >
select "Windows Classic."

3) Right-click My Computer > Properties > Performance > Settings >
Visual Effects, ensure "Adjust for best performance" is selected.

However, with a PC this old, it's essential to make sure it's
components are WinXP-compatible _before_ proceeding. Have you ensured
that all the PC's components are capable of supporting WinXP? This
information will be found at each of the PC's component's
manufacturer's web sites, and on Microsoft's Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx). Computer components
designed for use with Win9x/Me very often fail to meet WinXP's much
more stringent hardware quality requirements.

Can you obtain OS-specific device drivers for your PC's
components, and any necessary motherboard BIOS updates? Additionally,
you can download and run Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you
have any incompatible hardware components.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

bytor

In article <OOcDRNH7EHA.2192@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, billurie@nospam.org,
William B. Lurie says...

> I saw this question on another newsgroup.....
> I'll pass the answer along (but the question looks
> somewhat incomplete to me)..........
>
> Can I run WinXP on a P2 350? If so, how much ram do you advise?
>
> Oe6
> William B. Lurie

I run it on a PII 300mhz with at least 128 ram....Obviously the more ram
the better, but it also depends on what you'll be doing with the
machine......Internet, Email, general document work is what my 3
machines do, anything way more demanding than that is a bit
slooooooow...But it will run.

In news:OOcDRNH7EHA.2192@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
William B. Lurie <billurie@nospam.org> typed:

>I saw this question on another newsgroup.....
> I'll pass the answer along (but the question looks
> somewhat incomplete to me)..........
>
> Can I run WinXP on a P2 350?

Yes. Performance won't be great, but depending on what apps you
run, you may find it acceptable. My wife runs Windows XP on a
PII-400 (only slightly faster) and finds it acceptable for what
she runs.

> If so, how much ram do you advise?

How much RAM you should have has nothing to do with what
processor you have. It has to do with what apps you run. Almost
everyone running a common mix of business apps needs at least
256MB, but some people, for example those editing large
photographic images, need much more for decent performance.

How much RAM you have is often more important than the processor.
Most people will see better performance running Windows XP on a
PII-350 with 256MB than on a 2GHZ processor with only 128MB.

Please reply to the newsgroup

ByTor wrote:
> Can I run WinXP on a P2 350?

Yes.

> If so, how much ram do you advise?

No less than 128 MB. Preferably at least twice that.

Yes XP will run quite well on a PII-350 if you have 256MB RAM. Speed is only
relevant to a users desire/needs.Obviously this system will not be a speed
demon to those who are used to, or need, greater computing power. But for
surfing the web, taking e-mail and playing basic games it will be fine. Turn
off the eye candy by going to System Properties->Advanced Tab->Performance
settings . Turn off Indexing Services if you are using the NTFS format by
right clicking your hard drive icon and select Properties - uncheck the box
that enables Indexing and when you see the next popup ensure that you are
disabling Indexing for all folders and sub folders. Run a low resource Anti
Virus program - like eTrust EZ Antivirus
http://www.anti-virus-software-review.com/etrust-software.html or freeware
Avast! http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html And you should install
Spyware Blaster and keep it updated

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>I saw this question on another newsgroup.....
> I'll pass the answer along (but the question looks
> somewhat incomplete to me)..........
>
> Can I run WinXP on a P2 350? If so, how much ram do you advise?
>
> Oe6
> William B. Lurie

I ran xp professional on a P2 350 with 256 megs of
pc100 memory and a 10 gig hard drive. pci 128 audio, 8 meg pci video card.
ran outlook express,
ie6, word and excell 2000 with
no problems at all.