Running 8GB of RAM on Vistax64

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

AHHAAA!!! I also have a P5W-DH motherboard and have had the very same trouble, only 3199 Megs (in BIOS) of ram using 4 gigs of Crucial Ballistix. When I switched to OCZ Platinum rev 2 then the full 4 gigs showed up. This is close enough to your situation to show that it IS a problem between your ram and MB. I've been there....

There have been other memory issues with the P5W, when I switched to a P5K then all the memory worked all the time.

I should add, check the memory amount in BIOS during bootup. If it's 3190 there then NOTHING you do in Vista will increase the ram amount.

tymarand

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
To all who are running into the 3.2GB limitation. Windows Vista x64 Service Pack 1 fixes this issue. I would recommend updating accordingly. Also be sure to check all other applicable concerns: motherboard / Vista IS x64... and so on.

Best of luck.

Chris

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Hello, I'm a Mac.
And I'm a PC.
PC, rather than advertising. wouldn't it make more sense to fix Vista's problems?

So = SP1, eh?

And do we think "mem remap" is required for clean install?

Neat thread - kinda like "guess where I hid the 4.8 gigs" :)

And did the stranger disappear without a thank you like so many before?

Ravenloft

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Test the sticks of ram 1 by 1, if starts fine, Disable the onboard Graphic card, then Reclock yor ram to the less speed if 800Mhz > 667 > 533, up latency ftom 2.5 to 3, use sprectrum center, find Memory hole option in bios, set to Enabled, Save and restart, In windows If 64 Bits, and yo upgrade your Bios, Find the upgrade drivers for that Chipset NV,Inel,Via etc, install it, and OFF line the PC ( Turn off the power o disconnect from electrical line ) Then install the others sticks of memory, 1 or 3, Now the bios IF show 8GB of ram, windows64 must say 7,xGb of ram same amount MB of Ram shows hidden or reserved, In windows 7 if reserved for the hardware plus the shared memory may shows 6GB of ram if you Are using 8 GB of ram whit hybrid sli of 512MB.
Don t worry, If that works, you may change the speed memory to default.
Bye, And Gooood luuuk.

(Ravenloft, From Argentina) :sol: