[SOLVED] Running a GPU with a PSU that is below the recommended wattage.

Aug 20, 2021
I have a 3080 which requires a 850w power supply which I want to install in my current system which only has a 650w power supply. I just need to do basic stuff with my computer(web browsing, zoom calls), I do not plan to game or do anything major while I am waiting for my new psu. Is it okay to do so? Will it cause any problems?

Solution
If you draw too much power, Your PC will most likely shut off. When this happens, it may not do anything or it COULD seriously damage your hardware.
Random program crashes, system freezes and the Blue Screen of Death are all symptoms of a computer that's not getting enough power.
Don't risk it!!! Get yourself a gold certified PSU with 20% overcapacity for future upgrades and Overclocking ability.
If you draw too much power, Your PC will most likely shut off. When this happens, it may not do anything or it COULD seriously damage your hardware.
Random program crashes, system freezes and the Blue Screen of Death are all symptoms of a computer that's not getting enough power.
Don't risk it!!! Get yourself a gold certified PSU with 20% overcapacity for future upgrades and Overclocking ability.

Solution
Please list full pc spec and make and model of gpu and psu.

I would not risk it. I’m no expert but my understanding is the initial power draw when you first switch on a pc can be very high. Therefore even if not intending to use the gpu under high load it can still momentarily see high load. As the risk is damaging the gpu or other components in the pc I just would not install the gpu until you have an adequate psu.