Running DOS Programs Under Windows 8

VegasAndy

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
Hello,

I have some old programs dating back to the pre-Windows days that I have been able to run on my Windows Vista PC.

I have been able to create a directory on my C Drive (via Command Prompt) and import the programs in that directory from which I run those .exe programs.

I understand that those 16-bit programs can run under Windows 8 32-bit but not under the 64 bit version of Win 8. Is this correct?

Thanks

-- Andy

Ventus

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
Yeah from my understanding you can not run 16 Bit programs on a 64 Bit of Windows 8.
But On a Windows 8 32Bit, You should be able to run some 16Bit programs.
But I'm not entirely sure, I know if I want to run some DOS Programs or Games,
I would just use DOSBox http://www.dosbox.com/ a Dos Emulator. It works pretty good.

VegasAndy

Honorable
Jan 24, 2013
My computer has Windows 8 64-bit pre-installed. I purchased the Window 8 Pro box that comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. When I put the 32-bit disc in the DVD drive a notification came up telling me to insert the 64-bit version to continue. I was not given any other information or any other option. Any thoughts on how I should proceed in order to getthe 32 bit version installed? Thanks.

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013

Windows 8 Pro Pack is a special upgrade package to move up a step from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro. Since it is only upgrading you may not be able to perform a clean install (which is the only way to move between 32 bit and 64 bit). I would recommend you use the 64 bit disk and get dosbox to run the older 16bit apps. In fact you would need something like Dosbox to run 16bit apps in 32bit Windows 8.

Microsoft dropped 16bit support with Windows XP. Windows 3.11 and MSDOS 6.22 were the last 16bit Operating Systems from Microsoft.

Also, with Windows 8 Pro you can configure Hyper-V and install Windows 3.11 or Dos 6.22 if needed. Then you could run the 16bit apps in their native environment. (The trick of course would be to find Windows 3.11, you can get it with a TechNet subscription)

adamgreen

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Would someone be able to help me with this solution? I have an old dos settlement calculator and need to run it on my new Windows 8 computer. What are the steps I need to take to get the thing open and running???

kyllien

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
I have not messed with the Dosbox configuration directly (my experiance is with older games purchased from GOG). However DosBox is a DOS emulator. You should be able to run almost any DOS program in it. Again, Doxbox works with Windows 8 x64 (64bit) so there whould be no need to rebuild as Windows 8 x86 (32bit).