[SOLVED] Running games off an external HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_186

Honorable
Jun 3, 2017
I had a 240 SSD in my pc and so it filled up pretty fast. That's why I bought an external HDD. Having moved a few games to it and noticing that they do load slower overall. I obviously knew that was going to happen, but I want to know if something like Star Wars The Old Republic which is taking up a lot of the space would have manageable waiting times on the loading screens. Given that the HDD is specced at 5400rpm and connected via USB 3.0. Thank you in advance.

Solution
Upgrade internal SSD to at least 500 GB or even 1 TB. Usually affordable if you are not from developing country (no offense). If your computer is desktop computer, you can also add secondary larger SSD drive for games (separate ones and Steam/Epic/whatever library.

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I would go for an upgrade on the capacity, as you know now, 240gb isn't going to hold much, being a boot drive is also bad. I'd go for a 1Tb ssd, leave the external drive for backup for data, although I wouldn't call that a backup necessarily

Upgrade internal SSD to at least 500 GB or even 1 TB. Usually affordable if you are not from developing country (no offense). If your computer is desktop computer, you can also add secondary larger SSD drive for games (separate ones and Steam/Epic/whatever library.

Solution
I had a 240 SSD in my pc and so it filled up pretty fast. That's why I bought an external HDD. Having moved a few games to it and noticing that they do load slower overall. I obviously knew that was going to happen, but I want to know if something like Star Wars The Old Republic which is taking up a lot of the space would have manageable waiting times on the loading screens. Given that the HDD is specced at 5400rpm and connected via USB 3.0. Thank you in advance.
Anything you put on the hdd that requires multiple accesses to read back will be slow.
You won't know how slow until you try it.
The hdd you bought is meant for backups.....files that you don't often access.
If you want to speed this up you will need to change your config.

Status
Not open for further replies.