[SOLVED] Running two identical 16GB(8x2) Ram Kits.

Sep 28, 2021
Hey, so I just bought a Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3600 CL 18 16GB(8x2) ram kit to match the one that's already installed into my system.
I ran into a few problems when running all 4 DIMMS, like the PC freezing and not responding at all.
I managed to stabilize and run my system by going into the BIOS and setting everything to Auto (but I noticed that the ram frequency now shows as 2666) I was wondering if I could get any help or suggestions with the timings/voltages so I can get the ram to run at 3600mhz.

I have a ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS (WiFi)
4 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600 CL 18 (each stick is 8gb)

Solution
Sorry, you have identical kits in part number only.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.

Some motherboards, particularly ryzen can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
But, not all is lost.
In the bios adjust your ram settings manually. Gradually increase the ram voltage.
3600 speed ram is really better binned 2666 speed ram that can be overclocked to higher speeds.
Hey, so I just bought a Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB 3600 CL 18 16GB(8x2) ram kit to match the one that's already installed into my system.
I ran into a few problems when running all 4 DIMMS, like the PC freezing and not responding at all.
I managed to stabilize and run my system by going into the BIOS and setting everything to Auto (but I noticed that the ram frequency now shows as 2666) I was wondering if I could get any help or suggestions with the timings/voltages so I can get the ram to run at 3600mhz.

I have a ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS (WiFi)
4 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600 CL 18 (each stick is 8gb)
Hello and welcome

if the two kits work together AND accept XMP settings you should already consider yourself lucky

in your case the xmp is a no go

you can try to manually oc them but it will be incredibly hard to tune them in as they will be minor differences between both kits

Personally I wouldn't bother, i'd sell both your kits and get a new 32 gb kit

or keep one of your 16gb kits

Sorry, you have identical kits in part number only.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.

Some motherboards, particularly ryzen can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
But, not all is lost.
In the bios adjust your ram settings manually. Gradually increase the ram voltage.
3600 speed ram is really better binned 2666 speed ram that can be overclocked to higher speeds.

Reactions: Vyrvelata
Solution
Sep 28, 2021
Hello and welcome

if the two kits work together AND accept XMP settings you should already consider yourself lucky

in your case the xmp is a no go

you can try to manually oc them but it will be incredibly hard to tune them in as they will be minor differences between both kits

Personally I wouldn't bother, i'd sell both your kits and get a new 32 gb kit

or keep one of your 16gb kits
Hey so I ran the system a bit longer with all 4 ram sticks installed and it happened again, so I turned off the PC and removed the 2 new sticks, then I jumped back into the BIOS to set the frequency and timings for the original ram sticks.

Now the issue is that even the ram that I originally had installed, I keep having the same issues of the system freezing every now and again ... especially the first time that I boot on the morning.

Any idea as to what the issue might be? Should I just disable D.O.C.P (that's what XMP shows up as on my BIOS)?

Hey so I ran the system a bit longer with all 4 ram sticks installed and it happened again, so I turned off the PC and removed the 2 new sticks, then I jumped back into the BIOS to set the frequency and timings for the original ram sticks.

Now the issue is that even the ram that I originally had installed, I keep having the same issues of the system freezing every now and again ... especially the first time that I boot on the morning.

Any idea as to what the issue might be? Should I just disable D.O.C.P (that's what XMP shows up as on my BIOS)?
I would go into the bios and "load optimized defaults"

also make sure that the kit you are currently using is in the correct slots

use the one closest to your cpu and skip one and insert one in slot 3

CPU
RAM
EMPTY
RAM
EMPTY

then enable XMP

Let us know how it went

Sep 28, 2021
I would go into the bios and "load optimized defaults"

also make sure that the kit you are currently using is in the correct slots

use the one closest to your cpu and skip one and insert one in slot 3

CPU
RAM
EMPTY
RAM
EMPTY

then enable XMP

Let us know how it went
I can't think of a single motherboard for AMD that recommends RAM in slot 1 and 3. Bound to fail.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...7257_TUF_GAMING_B550-PLUS_WI-FI_UM_v2_WEB.pdf Page 20
Slot 2 and 4 for two sticks.

I did originally and currently have the RAM setup as mamasan suggests [CPU] [Empty A1] [RAM A2] [Empty B1] [RAM B2]
Thanks for the help and all the advice ^^
Turns out what worked for me was to update the BIOS -> Load Optimized Default settings and then do clean reinstall of windows.

Reactions: Quanticriver