Running WIFI to a Metal Barn...

dlvonhelf

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
So I have seen some other posts about running WIFI into a metl building... Got a question about that...

What I need is WIFI for a wirelessIP Cam that I use to watch the baby animals. Yes I'm tired of walking 150 feet to the barn every 2 hours to check on them... I bought a WIFI extender since I can receive existing signal all around the front and sides of the barn. There isn't enough signal for my WIFI extender to pick up and relay the signal inside the barn, as I found out, metal kills the signal.

So my quick temporary fix was to put the extender broadcasting outside the barn where the extender is near the side barn opening. I have it sitting inside a rubber trashcan with lid on a stool (to keep it away from condensation), with an outdoor rated extension cord, coverd plugs, etc. I was pretty proud of my redneck set up, but I need something a little permanent. The metal eats up any signal, but I can get WIFI just outside...

I'm not going to bury cable... Don't wanna buy new equipment, other than antennaes... So here's my question:

Can I simply buy an outdoor antennae, mount it outside the barn, and run the cable directly to my router without extra software, other equipment, etc??? Every other post I see seems to suggest buying expensive equipment set-ups... I get perfect wifi just outside, so can I just move the antennae outside without all the extra expensive stuff? I'd be willing to buy some cable to run from a new antennae but thats about it... Do-able??? Thanks. ...I forgot to mntion that my extender has removable SMA type anntennaes...

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Yes, that's absolutely doable.

I would just recommend double checking the extender's connectors to make sure you have the correct connector type before purchasing a cable. Some manufacturers use RP-SMA, which would require a different cable than the one's with standard SMA normally seen.

Keep the cable length as short as possible to keep signal loss to a minimum.

You might also consider using some sort of mastic tape to weather-seal the outdoor connection to the antenna.

Tableau+SMA-RPSMA.png