Oct 24, 2009
@rodbowler

@will1220

You both need to learn how to read.

In the text, it is said that the BOMB killed many people NOT the big rock

zarf42

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
@MaxTesla: Rod and Will are right, you just aren't diagramming the sentences correctly. Read the following:

"Asteroids and meteors have been a common topic of discussion this past year, particularly following February's massive explosion over the Russian town, Chelyabinsk. Exploding with the force of several Hiroshima bombs, the 500 kiloton boom killed townsfolk and razed buildings."

The "boom" in the second sentence is not the atomic bombing of Hiroshima (Which was equal to 16 kilotons, not 500), it's the impact of the meteor mentioned in the first sentence. Describing the impact of the Hiroshima bombing with "killed townsfolk and razed buildings" would be the understatement of the century.

Of course, we don't know what the actual force of the Chelyabinsk detonation was (The only estimate I've seen was 640 kilotons, not 500), it didn't kill anybody, and it didn't raze any buildings - this is hyperbolic falsity, the likes of which I'm not used to seeing on this site.

nezzymighty

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
As the title suggests... the meteorite was Russian in origin?... "Russian Meteorite Impact Captured on Security Camera"... should it not read "Meteorite Impact Captured by a Security Camera in Russia"?

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
I officially announce that that all news on tomshardware sucks (not including the articles at the top).

They always post false info and misleading topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.