RX 460 4gb/ RX 580 8gb - Screen Freeze, Black Screen, Lost Signal - In desperate need of Help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_alin2010

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018
First of all - My PC:
CPU: FX8300 - 3.3Ghz - OC at 4Ghz
CPU Cooler: Noctua ( Don't remember the exact name of it- one of those big ones with 2 fans)
Motherboard: Gigabyte FX990 UD3
Ram: Corsair 2x4GB 1333Mhz
PSU: Thermaltake 530w Gold - Semi-Modular
GPU: Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB that replaced an Asus Rog Strix RX460 4GB OC
Storage: 1x 60gb Kingston SSD for Operating system, 1x 480gb Adata SSD for Steam, 1x 500gb WD HDD for Misc Storage
Monitor: LG 27inch 75hz Freesync Gaming Monitor - Connection via HDMI Cable

The Problem:
Well, I've seen this problem on countless threads and posts on all sites, but i never found a clear solution for it, what worked for some doesn't work for me and others, and I am hoping that maybe someone can help me here. So...lets get to it, it all started when I changed my Asus r9 270 2gb with the Asus rx460 4gb(Second Hand), normal games that i used to play then where CS-GO and LOL and i was getting black screens at random times, sometimes the game would work for hours with no problem,at first it didn't bother me very much because it happened only in games and after a PC restart the game would work with no issues, but after a while it started getting worse and worse, black screens started popping up on Idle during movies and web browsing, at some point it became impossible to do anything on my PC. I read some fixes and solutions on the internet at that time and all where pointing towards the PSu ( i had a No-Name No-Brand dodgy Chinese 600w supply-it was heavy as a brick so i dont think it was that bad) but anyways i decided to buy a new PSu (the one i have now). After i installed the new PSu i also did a change from win 8.1 to win 10 and then i realized that the PC worked fine untill i instaled the AMD driver - then the black screens started again only this time after every black screen i was getting the clasic "Display driver has stopped working but has recovered" error. I try fixing this but never got a solution for it i even changed my motherboard and CPU to the ones i have now but the problem still persisted.

So in the end i decided to change the RX 460 GPU ( i thought that because i bought it second hand it was already broken). So i bought a brand new RX580. Installed the new GPU and everything was perfect. Installed the drivers and ran Firestrike Benchmark and got 120+ fps in Skydiver test and 60+ fps in Time Spy ( want to mention here that with the RX460 i couldn't even run the tests because of the black screens). So i thought: YES! Finally! That was the problem. Until a few days ago when i played the The Witcher 2 AoK, I started getting a few black screens at random during my game but this black screens wouldn't crash my game like the first ones but instead after the 3rd or 4th black screen my monitor would show me "No Signal" even though i can hear the game working in the background(and it can only recover with a hard reset).

So in short, I think the issue is from the AMD drivers.

What i tried:

-Installed only the Basic Driver without Wattman.
-Installed MSI Afterburner and Underclocked the GPu
-Changed Tdr Delay in the Registry
-Changed Diplay settings in the driver to Full Panel
-Set Power Limit to +50% in both Wattman and MSI AB
-Changed my Cable to DVI and DP
-Installed the AMD driver from Windows Update Manager
-Ran the games on Medium and even Low
-Installed different versions of the AMD Driver and still didn't work
-Changed to default CPU settings, so it was not an unstable OC situation.
-Changed windows power setting to Best Performance
-Disabled Steam IN-Game Interface

Until now, the best solution i found was the one in which i removed every amd driver and file via DDU software in Safe Mode and let the windows update install the display driver. But i am still getting a black screen from time to time but they are not as but as the ones before, because they dont crash my game or the display driver, but after a few of these black screens i get the NO SIGNAL monitor thing and it bugs the hell out of me.

Does anybody know any other solutions or what can i do?

PS: Planing to change my CPU to Ryzen but it will take a while to get the money, so untill i will get a new CPU, Rams and MOBO this will be my setup for some months, i know for certain that my PC in its curent state can run most AAA games of 2018 and 2017 on High/Ultra Settings at Fullhd +50 fps but this black screen thing is very annoying.

Solution

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
What you can not consent is that a brand that makes graphic cards sell you a product that needs a lot of adjustments and changes in your system if you want it to work properly. It is not normal that you have to invest in more RAM or a new PSU just because these cards do not come well designed and tested in origin. The price of these devices does NOT justify any effort we make to make them work apart from installing the necessary drivers and cleaning the PCI-Ex slot. These products are sold as a FINAL product and with an operating guarantee according to their price. It happens as with the airsoft guns: A fault even if it is insignificant in a weapon of the brand Tokio Marui would mean automatic RMA and several heads rolling in Tokyo, and I do not mean the operators of the assembly line. Now, if you sell it to me at the price of WELL or CYMA or Both Elephant (another brands of airsoft guns) maybe I'll take the trouble to work as an electronics engineer to make it work, because that brand works 100% well, one or two out of 10. .

armin28

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015

I had the same problem, turns out my ram sticks were not communicating with each other.

Solution

alex_alin2010

Prominent
Sep 3, 2018
Update: turns out one off the 2 ram sticks was faulty...after i made a test with only one 4gb stick of ram my pc worked just fine. Sorry for the late update but i changed my pc to ryzen in the meantime and forgot about this thread. Thank you all very much for the advice and support. Hopefully it will help someone with simillar problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.